Keen Smart Home Vents

Not sure of the cost difference but try door edge molding…you know, the stuff people used to put on the edges of their doors so the paint didn’t get chipped if you bumped something opening your door?..I believe it comes in clear even…pre-slit…just trim to length ;)[quote=“keltymd, post:486, topic:5826, full:true”]
I have been toying with the idea of getting some rubber vacuum hose from the parts store and cutting a slit in it so I can wrap it over the end of the blades to see if that helps with the hiss
[/quote]

1 Like

Did Keen ever follow up on creating a device handler for their hub to act as a repeater?

Does anyone have a device handler that will allow the Keen hub to act as a repeater?

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry we’ve been quiet on this forum. We’ve been supporting our own customer support line. It looks like many of you are experimenting with fit-kits to get Smart Vents to work with other sizes. I love this community.

We’re experimenting with fit-kits that help expand sizes too. Right now, we have a kit to convert 8x10 ducts to fit a 6x10 vent and a kit to convert 6x14 ducts to fit 6x12 vents. The designs are finished be we have not added them to our shop.keenhome.io store yet. You can get them made for you on ponoko.com in a material of your choice.

To get one made:

1. See the file here: http://www.ponoko.com/showroom/KeenHome
  2. Click on the design you need
  3. Scroll down to click “Add to personal Factory”
  4. Create an account and go to “my designs” to view
  5. Select a material to have it made in (I recommend white melamine for a strong, thick material, or Matte White acrylic for a closer color/texture match)

Let me know if this works for you or if you need help. I’ll post more designs soon

Best,
Will

Hi Will,

Has there been any progress on creating a device handler to allow your hub can act as a repeater?

4x14 kit would be great too.

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

Just by adding the Keen Home hub to ST, it becomes a de facto zigbee repeater. No device handler is required to do so, it is just a generic device then. I’ve done it myself and I haven’t had any disconnected
smart vents since then. My house is around 2700 sqf…

Here are the instructions to do it:

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2016 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Hi, how can I connect the bridge to my Smartthings hub to act as a …

Hi,

You can add a Smart Bridge as a repeater to SmartThings by going into the smart things app and adding it as a generic zigbee device:

• Plug smart bridge into power but not ethernet (if you’ve already plugged it into ethernet, you can reset it by holding down the button on the bottom for 5 seconds).
  • In the ST app, connect new device
  • Hit “connect now”

You should see the bridge as a generic device
Best,
Will

P.S. BTW, I have 2 extra smart Keen Home bridges to sell if anybody is interested…Just PM me about them.

2 Likes

Hi Yves,

Thank you for the information. I added it and as you said it shows as unknown.

Christopher

Hi, this is normal. It will now work as a repeater in your zigbee network.

Regards

Is the v 1.0.1 the latest device type for Keen vents??

Continuing the discussion from Keen Smart Home Vents:

See my post above.

I purchased the Keen starter kit, 2 vents and hub. After experimenting, I ordered the ST hub. Unlike most of the posters here, I have a very simple need. I have 11 foot ceilings in basement and all of the vents are in the ceiling. Because it takes a ladder to open/close these vents, they end up open for weeks when no one is using the space, wasting energy/$s.

All I need (right now for starters) is an easy way to control them manually. Of course the smart phone apps work fine, but I would prefer a more permanent solution. I’d like to use wall mounted switches to control the vents.

The vents and hub are my only ST devices in the house. I use lots of UPB devices and HomeSeer as a controller. I’d like to be able to use a wall mounted UPB pushbutton switch to control the vents, via HomeSeer scripting or other means. I’m very capable of writing code, and have written many extensions to HomeSeer. So, what I need is to be able to control the vents via ST hub and .net code. One option may be to control them via HTTP from HomeSeer code.

Is there anything out there to provide more programmed, direct control from outside the ST environment?

Please point me in the right direction. I guess one option would be to buy ST wall switch, etc and stay within the ST environment?

Thanks for any suggestions,

tenholde

@tenholde,

As you already have a ST hub, why don’t you try the Dim with Me smartapp using a master dimmer switch.

If you use HomeSeer on top of ST, you’re adding another layer of complexity, which could be
a source of problems later on.

Simpler is always better…

Regards.

@tenholde, It may not be ideal, but have you looked at IFTTT? I can’t say I’ve done any serious robustness testing, but I’ve used IFTTT as integration point between ST and HomeSeer and at least in limited testing have not seen any major issues.

IFTTT was an option that I looked at. Can get it to OPEN and CLOSE from IFTTT, but could not find a way to set a level (dim?) Perhaps IFTTT with different Device Driver or something?

you could also do it directly with an amazon echo or dot and ST…

Can you recommend an inwall dimmer switch that will work with ST and Keen Vents?

Adding control of ST devices from HomeSeer is not adding another layer of complexity. Having two, independent control systems adds significantly to the user complexity. I have an entire house, including over 50 UPB switches, all functioning great under HomeSeer control. HomeSeer interfaces well to most home automation devices, including Amazon Echo, Elk alarm system, UPB, Z-wave, etc. It would be nice if I could add support for these vents via ST to HomeSeer. If not, at least a way to control them with ST pushbuttons or switches, instead of from a phone. I can live with the vents being totally outside of HomeSeer.

tenholde

I am using Echo and IFTTT to control HomeSeer stuff. Works great, most of the time, like any cloud implementation.

When I try and set up IFTTT recipe for ST Keen Vent, it only gives me ON or OFF options. Any suggestions how to get levels (dim?) ?

tenholde

yea, wire your echo to ST, alexa dim “ventname here” to xx percent
there is no need for IFTTT in this case.

Mike, who is better versed with Keen and HA than me , stated the best solution below.

you don’t need a virtual dimmer, the vents will show up as a dimmer in the echo, since they have the setLevel command…

2 Likes