Is SmartThings development dead?

Tyler, you really run ST, so we know we can take you at your word :slight_smile:

Of course, as Tim said, Iā€™m in the donā€™t tell me, show me (and then release it to us, damnit) phase.

What upsets me is when good developers go quiet because of the lack of communication. Itā€™s comments like, if you donā€™t like it, go away and why are you still around if you arenā€™t happy.

I told Ben along time ago, donā€™t worry about vocal developers screaming for things, we want it allā€¦ Worry about the fact that if I go quiet, that means Iā€™m gone. Weā€™ve lost so many great developers to the silence and stagnation. Worse weā€™ve lost some to the bully tactics some take when they speak up and I wonā€™t be pushed aside for demanding better tools, better engagement with the devs and holding people accountable for their promises.

Anyway, glad to hear from ya STā€™rs, mainly just to confirm you folks are still employed :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree 100% with your statement!! Worth less then 2 cents but I do.

2 Likes

That is definitely true of many forums. However, because of the versatility and power of the SmartThings platform, these forums have attracted an unusually high number of people who actually make useful things and contribute to the community.

New devices come on the market bringing new challenges and people who enjoy solving problems often work together on these forums to get those new devices working with the SmartThings platform. All of that in turn leads to a community with a very high percentage of expert users helping other people solve real life issues.

Just take a look at the quick browse lists in the community ā€“ created wiki. There is an amazing variety of projects and solutions there, and many examples of people (including SmartThings staff) helping each other.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Plus all the people who help others with device selection or wiring questions or integration options.

Very little in the way of demands for instant gratification or impossible requests. Instead, it is a surprisingly large community of ā€œroll up your sleeves and get the work doneā€ people. :sunglasses:

Indeed, I think the highest level of frustration has come not over features that were promised and not delivered but over stuff that was working on Monday, representing a great deal of effort on the part of many people, that then stopped working on Tuesday because of undocumented platform changes. The frustration of problem-solvers, not those who are impossible to please.

It is easy to dismiss the noise on the forums for many products for exactly the reasons you mentioned. But I think very little of that criticism applies to these forums and I think SmartThings deserves the credit for that, both in the platform they created and in the employees that have participated here. They have an offering that attracts developers who appreciate hard work and enjoy sharing their own efforts with others. That is both unusual and valuable, and I think we should give it the credit it deserves. :tada:

Submitted with respect.

4 Likes

Oh I agree. I use allot of developer DTH and smart apps AND made my experience much better and even paid lifetime for Rboyā€™s webpage. I hate I have to manually check it though lol. And I hope it continues. And I agree this may have more then the 10%. But delivering a product for less then a hundred dollars and no fee is fairly new and even some security systems have issues and you pay a monthly fee for them. No if I paid a monthly fee to smartthings I would have a little different attitude :slight_smile: Just saying there seemed to be some very negativity in this when at least mine works 99% of the time and the other support emails are quick or I figure it out myself. Gives me something to do.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in, Tim, and good to hear that. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what youā€™d like to do, but I just donā€™t think you guys are the masters of your own destiny in this case. With founders gone, things are going to change rather quickly. I just donā€™t see a business case to support third-party developers. Itā€™s expensive. Thereā€™s no money in Smart Apps, we all know that. It made sense when you had less than a dozen developers in house. But now, that you have over a hundred, why bother? Just to attach an ā€œopen platformā€ gimmick to the marketing stack? Letā€™s be honest, ST has never been a fully open platform. And over time itā€™s become even more restrictive. Just a few examples: (1) Thereā€™s no way to add third party cameras; (2) Thereā€™s no way add third-party Smart Apps to the Dashboard; (3) Thereā€™s no way to subscribe to SHM events; (4) Thereā€™s no way to run third-party apps locally. So there you have it, all the new features introduced in V2 are closed from the start.

Well, Iā€™m just gonna take the good consumer standpointā€¦ Cause no matter what, thatā€™s exactly what I am to ST, a consumer.

My investment in this company is a huge amount of expensive timeā€¦

ā€¦ But Iā€™m going to ride this wave as long as I canā€¦ And when it crashes Iā€™ll jump on the next one.

2 Likes

your investment in smartthings or devices. My investment in smarthings is about $500 but if you count the other devices I have bought those are about $1500-$2000. Like wall switches, sirens and cameras.

1 Like

Cleaned up the thread a little. Please be sure to keep it to a debate and not let the conversation get personal.

Will close the thread if we canā€™t keep it civil.

My investment in the company, money wise, is exactly $99.00. Nothing more.

In other companiesā€¦ I quit keeping track. I was afraid my wife would find out! Lol.

Itā€™s not about the cash. Itā€™s not about the company. Iā€™m here for me. Itā€™s a challenge. Itā€™s fun. I love it and I love being here.

I donā€™t see that changing any time in the future. As long as this is a viable platform and I can be challenged to make things betterā€¦ Than I will.

1 Like

It already got personal and Patrick continues to make it personal but thanks for deleting my comment and letting his snide digs remain.

Well, itā€™s been fun.

This, this, thisā€¦ this.

Canā€™t tell you how much we appreciate this attitude around here. We love all of you more than you know.

5 Likes

Holy smokesā€¦I brought my pop corn and got comfortable on my chair, but then someone made the post vanish. We are getting into the sci-fi field here. Thanks for saving a piece of history, Jasonā€¦

1 Like

You know if it wasnā€™t the truth, we wouldnā€™t be crying for more! Or we wouldnā€™t be aroundā€¦

4 Likes

Yep! Weā€™re still here too! I have been a little absent the last few weeks (had to take some personal time) but, as Tyler and I said, we are working tirelessly to make the platform ready for development on a truly awesome scale. Waiting sucks, and I hate that I have to ask you to wait, but, we are really excited about some of the things we are working on.

4 Likes

There! Now we have a huge reason to stay!

1 Like

See thatā€™s that eternal optimism that once worked, now its just a Iā€™ll believe it when I see itā€¦

But still, itā€™s nice to see.

5 Likes

For sure, and we get that too. We know we have to regain some trust and we will work hard to do so.

2 Likes

Ok, seriously, will some Smarthings developer monitoring this thread answer this questionā€¦When will Smarthings support the Samsung SmartCam Plus that is sold at Costco? Some developer give me a dateā€¦and hit that date. ā€œSoonā€ and ā€œQ1 2016ā€ were the answers when I bought the cameras on Black Friday last year.

i took the summer offā€¦ i am now retiredā€¦ i am backā€¦ b ut actually my two locations have been working really well save the hue hubā€¦

that is on my list ā€¦ the hub goes offline every day or two or sometimes multple times a day.

it is because it is on a switch behind my routerā€¦ i cannot put it on my main router as they want as i have public ip address and the main comcast router is in bridge mode going to a cloud os router ā€¦

anyway long story short if you power off and on the hue bridge it works for awhileā€¦

i now put it on a zwave swith and will write notifications into the hue bridge to notify a smart app to reboot it when it senses it offlineā€¦ probem solved.

next up is the modification to the garden hue app i promised so you can disable and enable each color. and sent a couple of custom colors.

that way you can have only certain colors for holidays.

overall reliablity is pretty good latelyā€¦ havent had to remove and re-add routines or muck with the scheduler stuff in a long timeā€¦

1 Like