Is SmartThings development dead?

3 Likes

Friday, that’s the date and I’m sticking to it.

Now, which Friday of which week/month/year, now that would be like finding the elusive unicorn

Rick

1 Like

Once again, strawman. Stability. Not perfection.

No company will give a date unless they are sure they will hit it. Simplisafe lost allot of customers and trust with cameras. Never promise and n it keep it. Worse thing a company can do. Could you imagine if Apple or Samsung missed a launch date of a phone? Usually the phones are made by the millions before a date is picked

1 Like

Love how you ended up arguing with yourself

What got this discussion started is the instant gratification that some of the most prominent developers ST ever had, were questioning why promises have been broken for so long

But as always, Tim came to save the day

And the fact that a veteran like @tyler backed him up, speaks volumes

But most importantly

This I hope gives some a little reassurance that things are going in the right direction

3 Likes

I just installed a few contact and motion sensors. All were found as an Iris device using the respective SmartThings DH. Works great, and I have a ton of them with no custom DH needed. Which Iris sensors do you need a custom DH for?

3 Likes

The SmartCam HD Plus has been out since what Q3 2015. No development. In fact, not a single additional Samsung Camera added since the V2 hub was released. I was not actually expecting a Smartthings developer to actually give me a date.

To your point, worse than missing a target release date, can you imagine if Apple or Samsung actually never released a phone at all? Years go by and nothing. I think that is the issue here. I was going to say release a phone that was actually not an advancement over an older phone (V1 vs V2 hub), but that somehow works for Apple. Ha.

I don’t know how to write code, but presumably Smartthings has at least a handful of people that code full time? Community members somehow code devices and smartapps as side projects, but Smartthings cannot release new devices and smartapps regularly? I fail to wrap my head around this. I am sure there is some “we are making the platform more robust” argument, but
in the end as a consumer, I see dead development.

They support 4 brands of cameras. I have dlinks inside and outside and work great. They have a Samsung cam you can get that is supported that you can get for 99 on Amazon.

1 Like

I have Iris custom device types loaded for door/window, button, plugs, and motion sensors, from when Lowes moved to the new Centrilite models. I guess I could try to remove those custom device handlers. See, again, I do not see Iris sensor listed in the Marketplace. Shoot, call them Centrilite models.

You won’t see them called out (yet) as Iris, but if you select SmartThings Recommends and then open/close and then SmartSense Open/Close it will work. OR you can do it the easy way and just tap on “+ Connect New Device”. :wink:

The button device is a different story. Also, the plug uses the ST DH but there’s an extra step needed, which is just to reinclude it again (real time watts values won’t update if you don’t). I did all 10 of mine that way and they work perfectly.

What’s that? That hardworkers like @tyler and @slagle are poking C level execs to fulfill their commitments? Leadership defined.

Yea, totally reassuring that things are going in the right direction. Count me as one filled with confidence.

/Salt.

3 Likes

I took that as he wants to ask for permission to start doing them again. Which either way isn’t that good as they aren’t into the whole updating the customer thing.

Well my minimotes are dead, well at least local DTH. So that’s fun. Support hasn’t responded.

Gotta love this platform, they break it, community works around it. Eventually that game will stop working.

The gift that keeps on giving since 2012. Actually that’s what I like about ST. At least you can work around it. With other low end systems you are stuck at the mercy of tier 1 support that tells you it is something wrong with your device. Only 5 hours later, 10 exclusions and 20 reboots they say, I escalated this to our engineers and will let you know when it’s fixed
Months go by and you notice that the device is not on the compatible list anymore. Then you follow up on your ticket and you are told that they are still working on it. Been there done that with Wink & Harmony

1 Like

There is a developer looking at it right now, not sure if that provides any comfort

1 Like

That’s good to know, Luke.

Say, when issues are fixed the engineers do add cases to the nightly automated regression tests run against the committed code base to verify the fix & make sure that case isn’t broken again later? Right?

1 Like

It does. I would love to know what happened, my wife just wanted to turn off her light and go to bed.

2 Likes

We had a rather large release yesterday for our core service on the cloud side :rolling_eyes:. One of the changes that went in was attempting to fix false presence sensor events, but broke buttons which are setup kind of weird imo.

We don’t currently have a complete suite of automated regression testing :cry:. The minimote is being added to our suite of manual regression testing though. This broke with the release of one of our services yesterday.

2 Likes

As a heads up, the front line support team typically gets online at 9a PDT - they will start crushing tickets and follow up with individuals shortly. In the meantime, we have devs looking into this.

Thanks for the patience!

1 Like

It’s fantastic that changes are going ahead to try and fix these things. Is there somewhere we can monitor the change schedule so that we are prepared and able to feedback on bugs related to changes?