Is SmartThings a good platform to move to? (With specific questions about the ADT model)

When using the ADT/smart things hub, The dual logo ADT/SmartThings Sensors can trigger A call to the monitoring center or be used in any of the other home automation rules. So you could definitely have one of those sensors trigger the valve control. Or any other smartthings – compatible sensor could trigger the valve. That counts as a home automation rule. It is only calls to the monitoring center. Which are handled differently.

You can also use a non-dual logo sensor in home automation rules. The only thing it cannot do is trigger a call to the ADT monitoring center.

See the FAQ (this is a clickable link)

Ok, so you are saying the WiFi mesh which has the built in Z-Wave and Zigbee support won’t repeat signals if you have a non-WiFi Mesh Hub on the system running things?

No, I’m saying that you cannot add the non-Wi-Fi mesh hub to the same “location“ on your account. They cannot control the same devices. You can own both the Wi-Fi mesh hub and one of the standalone hubs, but each will have its own set of devices and they will not do any repeating for the devices that belong to the other hub. It’s basically just two separate networks.

Hmm, that was one of my biggest complaints with Iris is I was constantly having devices drop offline due to range issues or things like duct-work in the line-of-site.

Then you need to have more repeaters and work on the network backbone. That would be true regardless of the hub that you were using. The Wi-Fi mesh hub does not change anything about the range of your Z wave and ZIgbee devices.

See post 11 in the following thread, then go up to the top and read the whole thread.

1 Like