SmartThings Community

Is Smarthings my penance into the next life?

I know you are very new to SmartThings, and different people use the same terms in different ways. My apologies if I was confusing. :sunglasses: In the SmartThings context, “platform instability” specifically excludes local mesh issues. It has to do with the changes that the folks sitting off in the smartthings offices make, usually without telling us anything, which introduce glitches. Or “changes in behavior.“:scream: This is the source of many of the “it’s worked fine for months, I haven’t changed anything, but this morning it isn’t working“ reports that you will regularly see in the forum.

The listed solution got my interest. Reset the breaker? Could it possibly be an issue related to dirty power / inductive RF interference caused by faulty wiring in the home?

In some cases perhaps, but there is a long-standing known issue with GE zwave wall switches which has nothing to do with the wiring in the home. And which is solved by a circuit breaker reset. So my guess is that’s the one that support has in their solutions database.

Again, it’s been discussed in the forums many times, but what happens is that the GE zwave switches (not the zigbee switches) Sometimes manage to get themselves into a kind of buffer overrun situation where they stop processing network commands. You can’t fix it from the network and you can’t fix it just with the airgap switch. But if you cut the power to the circuit entirely and then turn it back on it essentially does a reboot of the internal zwave processor and often fixes the problem. This isn’t a smartthings issue or a zwave issue: it’s specific to the GE Zwave model switches.

GE ZWave Switch connectivity issues

on a schedule…

I may be mistaken, but I was not on under the impression that it was happening on a regular time schedule. Just that it was intermittent with one device for a while, and that device was OK and it was intermittent with a different device.

{ which model hub}

Yes, that would be good to know.

There are so many variables, and those variables can have different impacts.

True, but I’ve been a network engineer for a long time including in the field, and I’ve been a smartthings user for about five years now, and there are some problems which occur on this system with much more frequency than others.

No question, to troubleshoot anything further, we would need brand and model number of the devices and more details about the specific individual problems before we start trying to diagnose from a distance. :wink:

p.s. you are right, of course, that in terms of broadcast licenses Wi-Fi is a low power protocol. But in terms of Home Automation specifically, it is considered a high power, high bandwidth option.

(Ron Talley) #13

Where did the OP go?! :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

2 Likes
(Johnny H) #15

Hi Ron,

Here’s some more info…

1. Where’s your hub located? >> main floor - family room approx center of the house
  2. is your hub near your WiFi router? >> it was now above it
  3. How many devices do you have? >> 40-50
  4. How many Zigbee? I think 0
  5. How many Zwave? >> all are z-wave
  6. How many repeaters? not sure, they may be in some of the devices
  7. Where are the repeaters located? not sure
  8. What ST App are you using? >> Classic
  9. What rule engine are you using? >> None - straight ST app
  • Cisco Network 2 x 1832i AP’s, Cisco 5510 Firewall, High-speed internet

• Samsung S9 phone

• Leviton dimmers and wall-switches

• Samsung/Fibaro leak sensors

• Fortrezz / Samsung motion sensors

• Linear GoControl Zwave Garage Door Controller

• Water cut off valve - Econet BullDog Zwave Motorized Controller For Water Shut Off Valves

First rule of home automation: the model number matters. :sunglasses:

Also, unless I’m misreading your posts, you definitely have some zigbee devices. Samsung smartthings brand devices are all zigbee, including the motion sensor, the multi sensor, etc.

Battery powered devices do not repeat. Most mains powered zigbee devices repeat for zigbee and most mains powered Z wave devices repeat for Z wave.

Start by reading the following post, then go up to the top of that thread and skim through the rest of the FAQ. It will help you understand the basic concept of repeaters so you can understand more of what people are discussing in this thread. :sunglasses:

( The topic title is a clickable link)

One example of why the model number matters: fortrezz makes a siren, a leak sensor, a temperature sensor, and the mimolite bridge module, but does not make any motion sensors. ( speaking of which, which siren is it that failed? )

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/8/products?company=93

Also, Leviton makes both Zigbee and Z wave switches that work with SmartThings. Yours are probably zwave, but we would need to know. We can tell from the model number, we can’t tell just from the case because many manufacturers use the same outside case for different models.

(Big Hoss) #19

It’s all about context!

1 Like
(Big Hoss) #20

Hello… Thatt’s not exactly consumer grade network hardware either you’re a serious hobbyist or a professional that takes their work home.

It might be helpful to gather not only your model numbers but if he can get the data your firmware revisions. Obviously something is going on here and JD Roberts seems to be on the right track I have been noticing what might be considered undocumented features popping up here and there in the short time I have been on smart things

1 Like
(Ron Talley) #21

Thanks for the info, seems like you have both Zigbee and Zwave devices falling off. Not good…

Might be a good thing to take the batteries out of the hub, if v2, and unplug it for 20 minutes. Turn back on and let it sit for 10 minutes, then do a Zwave repair.

Also, I remember having issues when my hub was near my router, I moved it to another location and the issues disappeared. Think it was something with the 2.4ghz signal messing with the Zigbee radio…Also fixed an issue I was having with a couple of Zwave devices…range issues.

(Johnny H) #22

We have some model numbers…

every item is smarthings certified. They were all working at one point. now I have switches that won’t re-join, water sensor stuck on “alarm detected” (took battery out re-sync’d)

Leviton mix of: (all z-wave)
Decora Smart z-wave plus DZ15S
Decora Smart z-wave plus DZ6HD
Decora DZMX1

Linear GD00Z - Garage Door Operner
Fibaro Flood Sensors FGFS-101
Fibaro Motion Sensor FGMS-001
FortrezZ Z-wave wireless siren and strobe alarm SSA1
SmartThings Water Leak Sensor GP-U999SJVLCAA
SmartThings Motion Sensor GP-U999SJVLBAA

PS:
going on 3-4 weeks with no support response.

(Johnny H) #23

That’s not exactly consumer grade network hardware either you’re a serious hobbyist or a professional that takes their work home
Tech is my bread/butter and career…

(Big Hoss) #24

Have you called SmartThings right at noon Eastern time during the week? It’s easiest to get a hold of someone when the office first opens. Trying to get support from them over email is a joke…

(Big Hoss) #25

I sort of figured as much. Looks like a Network Engineer’s home network… I do similar work but make do with more consumer grade networking gadgets. They don’t pay me well enough to afford the good stuff…

FWIW, I have had fits with one particular ADT ST Motion sensor that wouldn’t clear up, until I pulled the battery, then did a factory reset on it. 3 times…

This might sound like a dumb question, but is firmware up to date on everything as much as possible anyway?

(Johnny H) #26

i try that…
thanks!

Thanks for the laugh. I too can’t believe what will happen next to make me furious.
I have 2 SmartThings locations set up and in the one home I had the Hub right next to the Router/Modem. I moved the Hub to another room and things have settled down now. Try separating the devices.

(Johnny H) #28

Anytime, lol

I’ve pretty much given up. I now have switches that worked for the longest time go AWOL, funny thing there’s 4 next to each other 1 still responds the other 3 don’t and the hub is anout 7’away from them, with the wireless app about 10’ away.

Today, I was sitting on the couch… got up to go upstairs, came back down and ST decided that I left and set the alarm on… which I set off.
I can’t even rejoin the devices that aren’t working.

Then this instills confidence…

I wish I could give up also but at this point with the investment I have into this I can’t give up, just hope one day Samsung lives up to making the product better. There is just no place to go for a real DIY home security that will use the existing devices we already have. I have seen this Habitat Hub on Amazon some are mentioning but it seems to be at a worst infant stage than SmartThings.

Assuming you meant Hubitat, It’s a tiny company with a very new product, but their entire goal was to create something that would have a similar breadth of product choices as smartthings but run locally for everything except necessary third-party integrations like voice assistants. That means even if they go out of business tomorrow, everything that you have running except for those third-party integrations would continue to run. ( and some of the third-party integrations might continue to run as well, just depends how they are set up.)

By removing the cloud, they removed a lot of instability, as well as giving you the ability to back up, restore a previous version, defer updates, etc.

Some people are using both smartthings and habitat, taking advantage of the local operations of Hubitat to create more stability for critical operations.

So yes, tiny company, very new, but the issues that it has are quite different from the issues that smartthings has. :sunglasses:

1 Like
(John William) #31

Thanks for sharing this very good info.