Is it possible to disable or block firmware updates?

Because if not, I’m going to put this brick on ebay and go to Vera. I have multiple switches having issues since the last update. Now I’m sure if I delete them and re-add them, it will resolve the issue, but I am ONLY going to waste that time ONE more time. If Samsung wants to do things on the cheap and hire people with substandard skills to work this project, that’s fine. I don’t need to be their victim.

How do I block the firmware updates?

You can’t up to now and I am not aware of any plans… (unless you keep your hub disconnected from the internet).

However, since recent updates Smartthings has send an email notification a couple of days in advance so you get a head up to watch for issues/changes.

LOL! :joy:

Oh wait… You’re serious. :confounded:

Yes; this is something all vendors should allow, but even Windows 10 forces updates on customers now (though luckily you can hack around it).

Don’t hold your breath.

Nope, I’m not going to hold my breath. I’m going to hold an ebay auction. That’s the end of this nonsense. I don’t have time to keep fixing their f***ups.

On to Domoticz I go. Runs in a Docker on my NAS, and if I’m going to be constantly aggravated and fixing things, there should be a benefit at the end. Smartthings provides zero benefit as I’m constantly at the mercy of Samsung’s halfwits.

If that doesn’t workout I’ll go to Vera. But I’m not going to keep using something that regularly makes work for me.

My “Smart Home” can’t constantly be at the mercy of Samsung’s dumbasses.

:wave:

10char

1 Like

Three words in that sentence are all it requires to show you’re not in SmartThings’s target market.

That’s not a bad thing! Enjoy the benefits of hacker friendly systems.

3 Likes

Their target market is people that will believe the problems they are experiencing were either caused by their own error, or their choice of hardware.

I tried to be a consumer. Doesn’t work for me. I just got rid of a Netgear NAS box, and built my own. Why? Because their failures cost me more time than building my own would. So it was replaced by something using double the power, with at least 50 times the power and performance. Now I have to do the same to this. For the love of god why can’t a company make something that works out of the box?

…and nothing is “hacker friendly” that I run. You just set up the mobile app to connect to your VPN when it opens.

You just assumed I was criticizing you? I meant “hacker” in the good sense… Clever home automation nerd… Whatever the correct term is.

1 Like

There are several systems that work reliably, it’s just that they don’t do as much as SmartThings does. SmartThings does more, but not as reliably. Different people will make different decisions about that.

BTW, SmartThings is still largely a cloud-based architecture, and even if we did have the ability to postpone firmware updates to the hub, that wouldn’t protect us from the frequent cloud platform changes, most of which are neither announced nor documented.

If the experience is making you crazy, I’d just move on to something else. Every system has pluses and minuses, and it’s a matter of finding the one that matches your own preferences and requirements.

7 Likes

What switches are you having issues with? I get that you’re mostly just ranting and not asking for help, but if it’s an issue caused by ST firmware, you’re not going to be the only one having the issue.

3 Likes

I’m new to this, so is there still even a conversation going about these ridiculous firmware updates? Every time there is one, I lose connectivity to random devices. I have ST in my home and in my vacation rental that is 3 hours away. I can tolerate correcting stuff in my home, even though I SHOULD NOT have to, but I can’t make a 3 hour trip every other day when Samsung seemingly needs to do a firmware update. At least give me the option to schedule or postpone the updates at my convenience. I can’t seem to get these devices to be available remotely. Can anyone from Samsung actually respond??

Not trying to stir up more… umm… you know. But I’ve tested with Home Assistant after the first full outage in early January and I was very happy, minus garage door not able to work with HA due to OpenZwave not supporting it at the time (does now). So if you want a full blown DIY Home Assistant is very nice. Python knowledge is very helpful though!!!

A new kid on the block is Hubitat. Which I ordered to check out. They are a bunch of ex ST community members that also got tired of things and have now released their own Home Automation product.

Point is there are options, just none of them are “perfect”. ST is well… like others I’m looking for an alternative.

2 Likes