iPhone presence detect stopped working recently on new app, any other "fix"?

So here’s what’s going on with my wife’s iPhone presence. Basically anytime she closes the app fully by swiping her list of open apps. Nothing works, i.e. it ceases to run in the background completely.

As long as she leave the Smartthings tile up, things work. So I’ve just had to tell her to try and get out of the habit of closing things down. This seemingly did not affect the Classic app at all as presence was pretty rock solid.

I have the same problem with presence on two hubs, one at my permanent residence and one at my lake house. My wife & I both have iPhones, and they worked almost flawlessly in the Classic app. Now they rarely work, on either departure or arrival.

However, both phones work every time as presence sensors with my RadioThermostats, with one located in each residence. So the problem is most definitely with the new app.

Obviously, the company does not care much about its installed base. If they did, they would get this issue fixed promptly.

1 Like

Thought I’d circle back with an update as my phone presence is now (for 3 days anyway) fixed. After rechecking with ST support, this is how mine got fixed (I know I tried this same process many moons ago, so I assume they made some platform fixes since that helped correct things):

Steps I performed (some may not’ve been needed, but were done anyway):

• Turn off “get your location from this phone”
  • Log out of app
  • Delete app
  • Reinstall app/log back in
  • Turn on “get your location from this phone” and update geofence
  • Fix any automation dependencies & cross fingers
1 Like

georgeh…has this been working since you did these steps?

Surprisingly, yes. Fingers still crossed though.

(BTW, you probably wanted to tag me with the @ sign for notifications to work… e.g. @mgpauly. I just happened to log in and check stuff today).

@georgeh …I have had issues with this. I have someone else and myself in SmartThings for the presence automation. It worked for awhile and then one quit working. I took him completely out, and entered everything in again. It worked for awhile and then it quit working for both of us. Took everything out again and entered everything again, and it worked for awhile. A week later both presence sensors quit again. I entered both again and I can get one to work. I might try what you did. When you shut down the app and erased it, did you have to reinstall everything when you downloaded the app again?

By “everthing” if you mean all my devices - no. IIRC the only thing I had to redo was customizations I had made to the home page of the app – those don’t seem to survive an app reinstall.

Thanks. Yes, I wanted to know if you had to re-install all your devices.