IP Camera Inregration

Also running Blue Iris and using ST to control it’s profiles and get motion from the cameras to use in ST.

Dame question for you. Have you measured power consumption?

Just be aware you cannot use ‘generic video camera connect’ for multiple camera feed with the same IP/port from blue iris. You have to use the camera ip/port so if you just want video with ST then blue iris is not required. I couldn’t find a way anyway.
I have blue iris and love it as well but since most of my cameras are RTSP. I couldn’t integrate them directly or with blue iris for all the camera feeds.
Running blue iris on a 27" IMac 24/7 and blue iris takes 27% resources but power consumption is not that bad.

— Offtopic - ish

I’ve not really paid much attention to consumption before… but this randomly popped into my head reading your concern.

How would BI work on a stick computer thingie? Like this one… http://a.co/jhBxMfb

Anyone running like that?

Maybe for one camera. You will need an I7 for 5+ 1080p cameras.

“Currently, I have my media server totally automated in ST and can easily control it’s on/off times based on whatever.”

Off topic, but could you elaborate a bit on this? I have an always on Plex server running on Ubuntu 16.04 that I would love to have full control over in ST. What are you automating in ST?

You asked for it…

I am currently automating KODI, YouTube, Battlefield, Chrome and Windows Media Center.

2 Likes

You are right. You could do it with Videos. Possible with still image? Looking at them. I think that was my problem. The image capture. With this

I have not

Dude… You are my hero!!! I guess I need to build a Win PC now (for EventGhost) :wink:

BTW, my wife hates you for giving me ideas. LMAO

1 Like

Honestly, the PC on/off control have been one of the biggest energy savers.

All of my lights are LED so no more than about 25watts per fixture (multiple bulbs). Can’t automate our main refrigerator but I did automate our secondary small one. I save about 8 hours per day run time on it with a door sensor and an Iris smart plug.

Trying to squeeze every penny I can out of energy savings…However, even though I am saving $100 on energy, I constantly find myself spending $200 to save it…:confused:

Oh yeah, back to IP Camera Integration…LMAO!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m there with you. I used to have about 8 PCs (servers really) running here full time, but I’ve reduced down to one main server running about 6 VMs (I ended up spending about $400 on RAM/CPUs for it) and I moved my main work PC to a laptop. So, that’s helped a lot with my energy usage.

Lighting, EVERYTHING is LED (either smart bulbs or led strips/bulbs). I figure that with ST and a ton of schedules, I’m saving about $75 a month, but I turn around and spend that on more automation. So, catch 22. LOL

Yeah… sorry about hijacking the thread. :wink:

Thanks for this info. I’ll have to give this BI a try now :slight_smile:

Thanks! Had a read of the new topic posting. Sounds like it does a lot.

I’ll have to see if it’s worth the money though. For me it’s $91Can for the server and mobile app and may need to look cheaper solutions.

While on this topic, @anon36505037 what CPU usage do you find on your BI server?

I have my main PC as a Q6600 (from 2008 I think!!) and I run 4x 3MP TrendNet IP cameras through TrendNetView Pro with about 2% CPU usage (it does pre/post recording but all motion analysis is done on the cameras). When I switch to BI (and disable TNVP) I find this jumps to 60-70% CPU and no amount of tweaking gets this down much:

• Direct to Disk
  • No overlays
  • Using h264 or other hardware acceleration
  • No pre-record
  • No motion detection
  • No webserver
  • Dropping to 15FPS on the camera feed

Even with all of the above it only drops to 50% CPU… Which is a shame as Id love to use some of the features… but the PC is used for too many other things to use it and might need to ask for a refund.

Brilliant. Thanks

Hi guys, I am having trouble getting Blue Iris into my apps. I followed the steps herehttps://github.com/flyjmz/jmzSmartThings/blob/master/smartapps/flyjmz/blue-iris-fusion.src/README.md

But when I go to ST app and try to add the app it is not there, any advice?

Are you using the classic app?

yes using classic app
i can see the device handler and smart app in my IDE, but they don’t show up in my app

Is the smart app installed in the correct location and published?