Intermatic CA3750 2xSPST control with SmartThings

I have enrolled a CA3750 in my SmartThings hub, however I only have control over 1 SPST contactor switch, but the module itself is capable of 2 SPST… Another controller, I’ve read, has the device show up with 2 on/off switches, and Intermatic has a controller which also allows the full use of the item, however I am only able to use half of its’ capabilities with SmartThings.
Any ideas on a way to control the second switch?

Probably a dumb comment, but did you change the (physical) little switch on the CA3750 to expose the two switches independently? By default it’s shipped to control the two contactors as a single one (which is how I use it).

Yes, it is set to 2xSPST. I tried the DPST, and then the single on/off control applies to both relays. I would like to operate them independently. (which is possible with Vera apparently, as well as with Intermatic’s proprietary controller)

@smartthing Currently ST does not support dual relay’s natively.

There are a couples threads on this now
ZWN-RSM2 - ZWN-RSM2 Create a new device type
AEON Power Strip - Zwave Power Strip from AEON

The first link is something I’ve been working on the last few days. IT’s still a bit buggy but I did get it working. The 2nd has info about the AEON 4 relay power strip and also mentions another dual relay switch.

My research all shows that this works with other controllers just not ST, my hope is the community can help is getting these working until ST supports them properly.

I installed mine last night. Has anyone noticed abnormally limited range with this thing? I had to move my hub down to the garage in order to pair with it (which is a first). It seemed to work fine until I move the hub back upstairs again, where it now behaves like it is out of range.

While I have no Z-wave devices other than this in the garage, the hub is in a room directly above it.

I actually read a lot about this problem, but from what I can tell, it only seems to have trouble with being against, or transmitting though, a foundation wall. I have it just over the foundation (of a walk out basement) and it gets very good, dependable reception.

Well I seem to be having another issue with this; even in DPST mode, only the contacts between 3 and 4 are closing (the contacts between 5 and 6 never close).

Is my unit defective or am I missing something?

Either it’s defective or it’s set to work at 240v and used with 120v - which leads to fairly unpredictable results.

No, it was set right… but it was just stuck.

I switched it to 120v (didn’t want to monkey with it connected to 240) and flipped the relay setting switch back abd forth with the juice applied. That cleared up whatever the issue was.

Has anyone been able to get a device type working to control the two relays separately (2xSPST)?

Which device-type are you using? I thought this device was “dead” but if people are still using it I can take a look and update a device type to make it work… Please get the device info (Raw Description in device info under devices) for me and if there is a device-type you are using - a link to it or the code…

It is currently setup as a Z-Wave Switch with the device set in DPST move, giving me control over both relays. When the device is set to 2xSPST mode I can only control the first relay with the current device type.

Here is the device info:
0 0 0x1001 0 0 0 7 0x91 0x73 0x72 0x86 0x60 0x25 0x27

I am guessing that you are configuring that on the device? I don’t see that the basic Z-Wave switch device type has any configuration options… Can I upload a basic device-type modification that you could run and capture the Debug from the log files when you run it in both modes and both on and off?

Sure… I seem to remember that the device uses a goofy method to trigger the second relay. Let me search around.

I found this conformance statement that describes the Device Class and Command Classes… Z-Wave Alliance CA3750

Create a device-type with the code below and switch your device-type to the new device-type Intermatic-CA3750. This one is not likely to work yet, however, it should provide some good debugging in the log file so I can figure out what it is doing.

2 Likes

I’m getting the following error while creating the new Device Type from the code you provided…

Org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed: script14221600639391992474923.groovy: 195: expecting ‘}’, found ‘,’ @ line 195, column 16. [50, 37, 32], dynamic: false, endPoint: 1, genericDeviceClass: 16, specificDeviceClass: 1) ^ 1 error

Just put an update up on GitHub - didn’t seem to like something in a comment?? Try again and if that doesn’t work just create a new “blank” device type from scratch and then paste it in and save it… Let me know…

That worked… Got it installed. I will test out the relays tomorrow morning and let you know. Thanks for the help!

Ok. Utilizing your new smart device type and the relay in 2xSPST mode, I am able to control the first relay with the main on/off button. Switch1, 2, & 3 in the app do nothing. Nothing I do is able to control the second relay.

Here’s the live log:

1f1c422a-6fea-4206-8701-75afc16a03c1 ‎12‎:‎41‎:‎02‎ ‎PM: debug Strip BINARY (all on/off or button) - SwitchBinaryReport(value: 255) 255

1f1c422a-6fea-4206-8701-75afc16a03c1 ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎46‎ ‎PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script14221646385611953668175.swOff() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.Integer) values: [2]
Possible solutions: off(), swOn(java.lang.Object), off1(), off2(), off3(), off4()

1f1c422a-6fea-4206-8701-75afc16a03c1 ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎40‎ ‎PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script14221646385611953668175.swOff() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.Integer) values: [2]
Possible solutions: off(), swOn(java.lang.Object), off1(), off2(), off3(), off4()

1f1c422a-6fea-4206-8701-75afc16a03c1 ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎26‎ ‎PM: debug Strip BINARY (all on/off or button) - SwitchBinaryReport(value: 255) 255

1f1c422a-6fea-4206-8701-75afc16a03c1 ‎12‎:‎40‎:‎21‎ ‎PM: debug Strip BINARY (all on/off or button) - SwitchBinaryReport(value: 0) 0