Integration of ST into Z-Wave

I’m new to this forum so I hope my question is compatible with the intent of this forum. Several years ago I wanted to get into DIY home automation and security. What seemed like the right method at the time was a Z-Wave controller and z-wave compatible devices and the modification of Java Script code to perform special tasks. I chose a Raspberry Pi and a Z-Way controller to help me learn the ins and outs. I thought I would learn about automation and security with this solution and then step back and look at current technology and decide which way to go. I now have a good system but lack some cool stuff like integration with the Amazon Echo and Google Home devices so I can tell my house to open doors, turn off lights, etc. I’m wondering if the SmartThings Hub is compatible with my z-wave products or do I need to start from scratch and use ZigBee compatible devices. The ultimate solution would be if the ST hub can control my current z-wave devices and that I can add a device like Echo or Google Home to my network. Thanks in advance!

Jeff.

The SmartThings hub is a white plastic box that contains multiple radios, and for the current version of the hub, one of those radios is a certified Z wave plus controller. ( there is a separate certified zigbee coordinator.) So far, so good. :sunglasses:

That said, it is only certified at the “basic” level. That means it can send on/off/dim to any other certified Z wave device.

There are some advanced commands, such as controller shift That it does not support.

So it generally does not do well with secondary controllers that rely on a controller shift. This includes some of the old devices like the GE multibutton wall mount controllers and a few of the newer scene controllers.

Essentially, devices which do not send information back to the hub, like the scene controllers, may not “play nice” with the smartthings hub.

There is a newer generation of multibutton or multi-tap controllers which use a new command set, “central scene command,” like the new homeseer switches, and those will work with smartthings, although they may require custom code. The reason that they work is that they do send the hub a message whenever a button is pressed, so there is something for the hub to work with.

Smartthings does work with multiendpoint Devices, like the Aeon power strip, but not very elegantly. In particular, it is likely that if the SmartThings cloud is not available, you may only have access to the first endpoint.

So the short answer is that most devices which are certified Z wave devices will work with SmartThings, although some may require custom code. Some devices may not work quite the same way as they do with other Z wave controllers, in particular multiendpoint Devices. And secondary controllers and scene controllers Will probably not work as well in a smartthings system as they would in a vera or ISY system.

But you do get the advantage of having lots of integrations that are cloud-based, such as with echo or IFTTT, and of course with a wide selection of zigbee devices.

So my first question would be are your wallmount devices standard on/off/dim devices or are they multibutton devices, and if so, what brand and model?

I have Ecolink Z-Wave Door/Window Sensors (DWZWAVE2-ECO), GoControl Z-Wave Siren & Strobe - WA105DBZ-1, multiple LinearLinc LB60Z-1 Z-Wave LED Light Bulbs, Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensor, multiple Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) sensors, and a GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control and Appliance Module. I’ve modified the JS code to send me text messages and email when the sensors sense motion or if temperatures get too low, etc. I’m mostly interested in getting a Google Home or Echo to integrate and allow me to take advantage of everything thats advertised and control my current environment. In the future I want to grow my network so if I need to start over with ZigBee devices I can do that. Thanks for the rapid reply!

Jeff.

Model number for the above? All of the other should work fine with SmartThings, although you might need custom code to access all features.

Two Resources you might be interested in. The first is core, which is kind of a scripting language for SmartThings, and is very popular for those with a technical background:

The second are the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. These are separated into sections for smartapps, device type handlers, and project reports.

Many community members create code for themselves and then are happy to share it with others, and the lists are the fastest way is to find these in an organized fashion. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Oh, I should also give you the custom code FAQ so you know the difference between a smartapp and a device type handler! :wink:

I don’t have the GE device in front of me. I’m away from my home for a while. This is all of the information about the device:

GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Appliance Module, On/Off, Plug-In, White, Works with Amazon Alexa / Google Home, 12719

Jeff.

12719 is the model number. That one works fine with smartthings also. :sunglasses:

Thanks so much for all your help. I think I’ll order a ST hub when I return home and begin playing. Thanks again!

Jeff.

1 Like

Wait a couple weeks, you just missed the ( almost monthly of late ) 20% off sale on all ST devices and packages.

Thanks…I’ll keep my eye out for sales.

Jeff.