Install question: where should the hub be located?

OK, total noob here. Looking to get a Gen3 smarthub. Can I hard wire this thing in may basement? Or does it need to communicate with the devices within range. I’m suspecting all devices go through my wireless, but like my Blink cameras, they need to be in range of my Sync modules. Just curious if this is the same. Thanks!

Smartthibgs hubs are generally intended as a coordinator for Zigbee and ZWave devices. These are NOT wifi and are both low powered mesh networks optimized for IoT communications. Basically that means the more powered nodes you have on the network the stronger it gets. (powered, as battery powered devices generally dont repeat)

So… That means with planning gou can just about fit the hub anywhere but you need to make sure the ‘next hop’ (up to 3) is in range of the last (spec says 100 feet but assume half that in practical applications, ESPECIALLY if you have to transit walls or say a floor…)

1 Like

So if I’m understanding you correctly, a hub has a “range” to communicate with devices. The more hubs in a house, the more “bleed-over” of connectivity I would get, provided they were hardwired to my network.

In the situation you described, You will only have one hub and it should not be in the basement. :sunglasses:

See the following FAQ. Start with post 11 in that thread, then go up to the top and read the whole thread and it will explain. (The topic title is a clickable link)

2 Likes