Inovelli Lag Issues

Posted without comment.

There is enough fake news these days, no need to add to it…

1 Like

Edited as I’ve had a chance to catch up on the other discussions here and in other communities. Thanks @Automated_House for sharing that.

1 Like

I split this topic off into its own discussion. If you are experiencing any issues with your Inovelli devices, post them here.

If anyone wants to assist with narrowing down these issues on SmartThings here is what you can try

1. Test with only stock DTH using mobile app
  2. Test with custom DTH using mobile app
  3. Test with stock DTH but make a copy to force it to run in the cloud
  4. Test with voice using the stock and custom DTH
  5. Create an automation with a contact sensor and open and close it

Note any errors or lag with each step
Preform these actions and post the results here.

1 Like

This is not the poster’s video. It was a test done by Inovelli and there was only one bulb/switch connected to the hub.

1 Like

No issues on my end, but here’s my data point:

• inovelli model LZW31 -SN
  • V3 hub, hardwired
  • NA01 shard
  • Inovellii’s custom DTH, latest version
  • paired via S2 networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED
  • not using z-wave associations at all
  • routing directly to the hub
  • installed with neutral wire, no accessory switches
  • Nest WiFi, 3 nodes

Wow, ok thanks for the clarification Jody. It’s good to have split this out. Too bad there weren’t any additional comments provided with that video as well.

I personally have not been able to replicate these issues with any of my Inovelli devices. My typical response times are around 300ms.

1 Like

There’s some discussion going in their forum

1 Like

If you’re troubleshooting potential cloud issues, it may be useful to also know what kind of network infrastructure is in use.

Personally, I don’t have any Inovelli devices, however my SmartThings setup rarely lags for any reason. Cheap wifi routers from your electronics retailer of choice aren’t going to do a smart home any justice.

My own home network uses ubiquiti switch, AC-Pro access points (not applicable to v2 hub, but applies to mobile app), Palo Alto firewall, and a raspberry pi running Pi-hole. Since implementing this network setup, the amount of complaints about the wifi have dropped to literally 0. Which also helps out the smart home as well.

1 Like

I’ll try to get some documentation via video, but my google mesh wifi system and gigabit connection (1ms response time) is not a player here. Last night I counted 9 seconds between hitting my master bedroom switch in the app and my light actually changing.

I am using S2 and WWST DTH. Other switches at other times have been under a second, but randomly some of them are just plain stupid slow.

I’ll continue to monitor/assist as able.

Edit: I’ll try above steps and report back as recommended.

2 Likes

Update: @jody.albritton was a massive help with a few different aspects of the network.

1. I had a bulb that was being used as a transfer point of information that was able to be taken offline via 3-way. Previously that was not the case (before a rebuild this morning), but he found it and got me to exclude.
  2. I was using the Inovelli DTH for the bulbs but instead changed them all to “RGBW Light” device type and they seem to work equally as well and have the same featureset. Sounds like Inovelli and ST team are working to update/clean up the Inovelli DTH, but for now, whatever.
  3. A couple other switches were acting up this morning during a repair, so I pulled the tabs to soft reset.

My first repair took 19 minutes and had failures. My last repair took 3 minutes 11 seconds and everything seems to be working from the app to lights within ~1 second perceived.

That said, Jody explained that the command must be resolved prior to issuing a new command per z-wave standards, so if I was too fast in commanding multiple lights to do something, it locked up and didn’t execute or took a REALLY long time (10+ seconds).

I’ll continue to report back, but for now it seems that I am in a useable and MUCH improved state. I recommend the following:

1. Perform a z-wave network repair, leave the window open and ensure you record any detailed log items outside of started and finished.
  2. Any devices that are offline, inactive, or otherwise errored try to figure out what might be happening and repair.
  3. Ensure that any devices that might be interrupted (I need a GE Aux switch on my 3-way ugh) are not being used as transfer points. The mesh is healing, but errors take 6-7 seconds.
5 Likes