Inexpensive smart plug (US) and other device recommendations needed for newbie

would not recommend these if you are starting out.

1 Like

I purchased the Iris Plug and published the code into my IDE.

It is still discovered as a “thing” and just says “please wait”.

I’m a little lost here, can someone let me know what to do? I followed the instructions that JDRoberts posted above.

You shouldn’t need to use any custom code for the Iris plugs. Did you get the L or L2? The L2 may require you to manually set the Zigbee side to “Smartpower outlet” type since its fingerprint may not be added yet. the z-wave side should be fine as whatever it joins as.

I got it to work. Finally came up as “Outlet” and I now have control of it.

Now I just need to work on the Zwave side of it

I got the L2. How do I set the Zigbee to Smartpower outlet?

Don’t worry about it if its working properly.

Is it the handler code that made it work?

That is what the smartpower outlet device type pairs as, so sounds like it found the default device type.

Can you help clarify a couple things? I’m being told that I need to follow the instructions and add the handler to get the plug to work and you are telling me I don’t.

It is supposed to come up as 2 different devices, 1 for the zigbee and 1 for zwave. How do I find out if the zigbee and zwave are both functioning?

Thanks for all your help!

the zigbee part is easy. Start the SmartThings pairing from the app and then plug it in. It should find it. Verify it works by plugging a lamp or something into it, turning it on and off from the app and making sure the power draw changes and the device turns on and off.

The z-wave part can be tricky. From the linked thread:

"Second: The Z-Wave repeater

Once you have the Zigbee Plug added into SmartThings you can go back to add the Z-wave repeater. In order to do this, first start the pairing mode by selecting ‘Connect New Device’ within the Marketplace in the SmartThings app. Once the hub is searching for a new device, hold down the button on the front of the Iris Smart Plug until the light begins to blink, this should only take a few seconds. Some users have reported than holding down the button doesn’t work and instead they needed to tap the button 8 times rapidly in order to get it into pairing mode. Once the light is blinking SmartThings should discover the repeater as a ‘Z-Wave Device’. This is the proper devicetype for the repeater"

This is where you have me confused. You are saying that I just need to plug it in and the zigbee side should work.

This isn’t what the instructions say and it isn’t what actually happened in my case. It doesn’t pair.

Did something change where it isn’t required add a device handler for this?

I apologize if I missed something, I am new to this. Thank you

Okay so I got everything working including the Z-Wave repeater.

If I’m adding a bunch of these Iris plugs, what is the best way to keep track of the “Z-Wave Device” aspect? Should I label them something else so I know which repeater goes to which plug incase I need to remove one of the plugs in the future?

As a test, I deleted just the plug portion and the Z-Wave Device is still there. So it doesn’t delete that as a thing with the plug.

Any ideas?

I just name mine the same as the plug name with a Z at the front so it sorts to the bottom of the list.

1 Like

I did something similar.

So I installed 4 of the Iris plugs with the Z-Wave device installed as well.

I tried doing a mesh repair and it’s saying “failed to update mesh info” for every one of those plugs.

Now what?

Try this device handler with the z-wave portion of your iris plugs. It will help in troubleshooting whether they are really paired or not.

1 Like

Try that dth above and also try running it multiple times.

I published that dh and re-discovered the Zwave portion of 1 plug. It says “unknown”.

Under status it says “unreachable”.

I am totally lost at this point and thinking of just returning these iris plugs to Lowes.

Also, the power reading on this plug is at 0w when off.

Shouldn’t there be some kind of power when off due to the zigbee repeater?

UPDATE: The Zwave repeater now says “online” and the Z-Wave test says 30 of 30 frames received.

I also ran a mesh repair and it is no longer giving me the “failed to update mesh info”.

Does this mean it’s working?

You don’t need to reset or rediscover a device to change its handler. Just change the type for the device in the ide. 0 watts is normal when turned off.

1 Like