Inexpensive camera?

Now that I have all my ST door switches and motion alarm set up I am guessing the next thing I need should be a camera. I know there was a samsung brand near all the smartthing devices at best buy so I guess I’ll start my research with google and that brand.
But since you all have probably a ton of experience, is there a better camera out there for less $?
I don’t need top of the line but I don’t want terrible quality either. I’m thinking one for insie and maybe one for outisde although it will be under a covered porch most likely. So I doubt that one will get much, if any rain. Although I’m not sure how easy it will be to power it???

Any suggestions are appreciated.
thanks.

2 Likes

I decided not to go with a wired system for ease of installation and I could never really find what type of system was best to use for integration with SmartThings (or home automation in general). I was hoping to find a system that allowed viewing of each camera via IP address (for use in SmartTiles /etc). Also integrated IP cameras, motion detection output for SmartThings, etc…

I went with Arlo wireless/battery/outdoor cameras by Netgear, they are officially integrated with SmartThings. They aren’t cheap though, you might find some holiday deals get them down to about $100 per camera. Biggest con for them is a delay between motion and start of recording which could cause you to miss important face shot of intruder. There is also a new “Pro” line out that adds local recording (vs cloud). I thought old Arlo’s were getting local recording to USB stick???

There is also Blink, similar to Arlo (wireless/battery), but not outdoor yet (probably ok if kept dry).

I didn’t research the other Samsung, Nest, etc… camera as they seemed to be even more expensive or not outdoor.

2 Likes

look at the blink cameras

thank you both. guess I’ll need to do alot more research and even see some videos of quality.

Still researching. I might grab a couple of the Blink cameras just to test out. The one thing that I don’t like is the 10 second recording. Needs to be at least 30 second or user configurable. I would rather have to change out batteries than miss something important.
Speaking of that, does it reset after x amount of time and then if it senses motion again, capture another 10 seconds?

How far away has anyone placed the “hub” from a camera? I think their site says 100ft. Just curious if that is what users here experience.

Any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Blink. They are pretty freaking awesome and cheap and easy to install and just works

Do you need to purchase the Blink hub, or will the cameras work with the smartthings hub alone?

You need the HUB (Sync Module) but it’s only $10 when buy the camera(s).

You need to use RBoy’s DTH and APP which is a paid subscription but well worth it.