In Desperate Need of Help! (Delays, random on, incorrect app state, etc)

I have a plethora of issues and I will try to categorize them and see if any help can be provided. Not sure if I have one big issue or just a lot of random issues. A few things to note before I get into this is that I have not added any new devices recently into my infrastructure and I have only made some small changes to routines and the like mostly because of the migration efforts and the loss or soon to be lost functionality of things like webCoRE. With the loss of the IDE’s log functionality and the fact that most of my devices aren’t on Edge yet make my troubleshooting efforts very difficult but I have a WAF of near 0 at this point.

1. Massive Delays in:
    A. Routines - I have very simple routines in both Smart Lighting and Automations that do things as simple as if sensor is open turn light on and if sensor is closed turn light off. The contact and the light are running in ‘local’ mode and have worked in real-time or almost real-time for years and now they have such a delay (minutes plus).
    B. Alexa - We do a lot of ‘Alexa turn XXXX on’ and it has always worked instantly or very quick. Now I see anywhere from 1 minute to 15 minutes of delay. I have instances where I forget that I told her something and 15 minutes later the light I asked her to turn on will turn on.

2. Random (This one is the worst)
    I have lights that are now coming on with no instruction to do so. For instance, in the middle of the night the lamp next to wife turns on (see now why WAF is near 0). I can’t explain it. The device is not attached to ANY routine and is only turned on by voice. I would chalk this up to chance; however, this has now happened to four different devices in my house in the past week. I can’t explain it.

3. App (iphone user here)
    A. The app opens fine but majority of the devices states are incorrect. If I pull up a room that I am in I will see the app that says 3 lights are turned on and they can all be off.
    B. Clicking on a device to make an action (turn on, etc.) results in the tile spinning and the message “A network or server error occurred. Try again later.” This happens more often then it doesn’t happen.

Like I mentioned, I have tried to troubleshoot. I read the forums but I don’t see other’s plagued like me. I have tried Z-Wave network repair. I have, in the past couple days, tried to get the latest edge drivers and try and force some of my devices onto edge to see if things improve. I have tired to turn off all of my automations. I removed or disabled almost all of my smart apps and have just some basic smart lighting running. I turned off CoRE. I don’t really want to jump ship (mostly because I don’t know of a better ship) and I have over 100 devices that I don’t want to try and migrated.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit - I did read some posts about issues in the past couple days. My issues go beyond the past couple of days. Still present today. I did confirm I am running 46.10 and have tried to restart the hub as well.

1 Like

@Big_Jim Sounds like memory with the hub. You didn’t mention which hub you have? How many Edge drivers do you have installed? How many total devices do you have? Have you tried excluding and then adding the devices you are having problems with? What are the results of the Zwave repair you performed? We would need a lot more information to help you.

1 Like

That sounds super frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

Along with any help from other customers here, you should probably go ahead and contact support and open a ticket. They can see things from their side that we can’t. :thinking:

Meanwhile, a few questions

1. what country are you in?

2. what model hub do you have?

3. what’s the brand and model of the flaky devices? And are they all using the same protocol, like all Z wave or all Zigbee? Or is it a mix of protocols?

4. @mlchelp makes a good point about memory use. How many edge drivers have you downloaded? People have been reporting somewhat similar issues if they have more than about 15 drivers on their hub, although it does vary.

1. USA
  2. V2
  3. All z-wave. I believe they are either Zooz or GE/Jasco
  4. For Edge I believe I only downloaded Zooz and Konnected. I do see other devices like Bond and a few have migrated to Edge but those must be standard to Smartthigns as I didn’t explicitly look for those.

To answer questions from above, I don’t know off hand exactly how many devices but I would say 100 and that might include a few virtual devices. As for excluding and including, I did try that a little bit. Mind you I have a lot of outlets and most of those are buried in places where it’s not exactly easy to get to. One thing I wanted to try was that I have a pantry door that has a simple contact z-wave and basically turns on when door opens and turns off when door closes that is running local but not edge and a Zooz switch. I had a custom DTH on the Zooz but I did exclude the device and readded the device and the DTH went to placeholder so that tells me that the devices moved to Edge; however, I can’t confirm that by using the app because like I mentioned above when I try and click on the tile in the mobile app it just gives me an error message.

I will try and open a support ticket.

Appreciate you guys replying!

1 Like

I had alot of trouble with GE/Jasco Edge stock drivers so Iswitched to the Philh30 drivers and my old GE switches worked after that.

1 Like

I don’t think any of mine have migrated over yet. I was hoping to not have to exclude / include because I have a hell of a time with those and they are buried behind furniture and such. But, if we think it will fix my issue(s) then it’s worth it.

3 Likes

Try 1 or 2 and wait and see what happens, if it fixes your issue then do the rest. Make sure you have less than 15 drivers loaded or you may have memory issues. Remove any drivers you are sure you’re not using. Also, beware that if you remove a device and it is the only device in a routine it will delete the routine. An easy way to do this is edit the routine and replace the device with another or a virtual device and then after you add the device back you can change the routine back to the correct device.

2 Likes

Of course, will give it a try tonight.

A lot of comments related to memory issues. Is there any way to see memory usage? Is there a big difference between v2 and v3 in terms of available memory? I guess if we come to the point of determining it is memory, what is the remedy?

Currently there is no way to see the free memory. V2 has more memory then V3. I had this problem and I got 2 more V3 hubs and I’m using one for my Zigbee devices one for Zwave devices and the third I’m going to use for third party integrations. There are several posts on the forums about this. You can have multiple hubs under the same location and it will look just like it does with one hub but any routines or automations that involve devices on both hubs will run in the cloud instead of local. This is how I did it and I’m in no way suggesting you do the same but its just something to think about. I also removed most of my routines and started using Sharptools. Its very easy and you can create very complex automations. I really just use Smartthings for simple stuff now. After I migrated everything to Edge most of my routines stopped working reliably. That why I made all the changes.

2 Likes

Also, don’t go by the old IDE, most of the information is wrong and it will be shut down soon. Use the API by Taustin. Its very easy to setup and gives you a lot of information about your devices such as which are still using the old DTH and which ones have been migrated to Edge.

2 Likes

No pro here, but I had many (mainly Aqara) sensors going offline due to my mesh wifi. I pulled the 2 new Access Point out and (for now) everything works again.
No changes there for you?

Maybe try a Z-Wave Repair. I was having issues and did that and things are much snappier now. Most issues were with Z-Wave and not Zigbee.

He already tried that, said so in the start post.

@Big_Jim Keep us updated on how things are working out for you.

1 Like

Quick update - I spent majority of the weekend moving devices from DTH into Edge. Most of my devices are either GE or Zooz. I did check and I think I have ~120 devices and I would say that 15-20% were migrated to Edge. I did check and I have 4 Edge drivers (beyond Smartthigns) installed. I used the above link to get the Edge driver for the GE devices and that is what I am moving over to. I would say that I am about 60% of the way through them and I am probably over 50% on Edge at this point (Maybe there’s a pun there?). I do feel like local response time is getting better because of it. Meaning if Motion A then Light B. I still see a long delay coming from Alexa into the system though but maybe that is a cloud to cloud issue? I haven’t had any devices turn on randomly at this point either; however, that didn’t happy with high frequency so time will tell on that one. So right now it’s just a continued operation of moving devices over to Edge and reworking routines as best I can and hoping that once fully migrated (or as much as I can) it’s back to a stable usable state.

Appreciate all the feedback / help!

1 Like

Great and make sure you setup the API + link I gave you in one of the posts above. That will tell you a lot of useful info such as number of devices, which ones are Edge and which ones are still on DTH, what drivers you have installed Etc. I think a lot of users don’t set it up because they think it hard to do and it’s really simple to do.

1 Like

I did that right away. It was helpful in terms of the devices and drivers like you mentioned but I would still love to see an overall log that showed everything that is going on. Live Logging back in the day was incredibly helpful for me to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Yup me too. Eventualy they need to bring some kind of logging back.

2 Likes

You get live Edge driver logging via the ST CLI.

smartthings edge:drivers:logcat --hub-address=x.x.x.x

You can get the hub address from the IDE.

Is this a permanent problem? I have been moving from DTH to Edge the past few days and I had about 60 DTH’s for the devices I have (I know, excessive) but right now I am about 60-70% migrated and I have moved mostly the same manufacture devices over. The remaining are one off devices of different types be it remotes or scene controllers, etc. I worry I will either need to exceed 15 or remove devices and wonder what this looks like long term.