Improving Security for SmartThings V2 Hub?

This may be a ridiculous question (I’m not a programmer or networking guru).

Are there better ways of adding security to protect a SmartThings Hub from being hacked outside of the hub itself?

In other words, can’t we upgrade other equipment to better protect the V2 hub instead of having to start all over with a V3 hub just to get the security upgrade?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

That completely depends on what particular attack vectors you are referring to.

Yeah…I’m not even going to begin to act like I know what I’m talking about there!

I just want “security” like everyone else. :laughing:

Some of it has to do with the way the keys are issued at the initial join, not anything to do with the messages that are transmitted after they are encrypted.

But the point that a couple of the SmartThings staff have made that some of the updates that you might want to make would require basically resetting your hub completely To factory specs and then loading in all new firmware. You would have to rebuild your entire network from scratch. Including re-joining each individual device. And you still wouldn’t get all of the features that the new V3 has.

So there are things that you can do to improve security on any home automation system (for one, don’t have it share a network with anything else in your home), so just check the forum for the various security threads for those discussions.

(Brad) #5

As I mentioned in the other thread, there are plans to bring zigbee 3.0 to the Hub v2. The security improvements in zigbee 3.0 are very specific though and functionally you are well off with any SmartThings Hub technology.

I have mostly ZWave Plus devices. Are there any improvements that the V3 has over the V2 in regards to Zwave?

(Brad) #7

I don’t believe so.

Eventually (but not at launch) V3 will be certified for the S2 security framework for Zwave. I’m guessing V2 will not be added to that road map, but I don’t know for sure.

(Brad) #9

Good point, JD! From a technical perspective, I don’t think there are blockers to adding S2 to a Hub v2 but I don’t know of any specifics.