Ikea Tradfri Wireless Driver

Does this ‘puck’ dimmer work with the V1 ST Hub ?

I am aware that there are some IKEA Tradfri devices that won’t work with V1 Hubs, but I’m not sure if this is one of them.

p.s. It paired just fine, and appeared to work at first, but after sitting for about a half hour or so, it no longer appears to be connected, and doesn’t post anything to ‘Live Logging’ or ‘Events’.

That is a good question. It is definitely working with the default DH on v2. :wink:
If it was working, then stopped look at the last reported battery level. You might can see random changes.
There is a slight issue with these devices. If you “press” it, then it presses the pairing button and disconnects from your zigbee network. Try to re-pair it.
(Battery was flakey and the button was pressed were my issues with that device.)

1 Like

Ok. Thanks.
I did re-pair it once, but that time, I got nothing from it.

I’m assuming it’s one of the types of ikea devices that doesnt work for hub v1, because of the known firmware issue, but I will try again, just for kicks.

I did have it pretty far from the hub during initial testing. I’ll see how it behaves close.

It uses a different DTH than the button remotes. So maybe?

1 Like

Oh…that’s not the same (at least by name anyway) as the one that it got automatically (which was ‘IKEA Trådfri Dimmer’).

So, thanks. I will give that one a try and see if that makes any difference…

Just to confirm, it’s the round one that you spin, right?

1 Like

Turns out it appears to be working better when near the ST hub. So, perhaps I just had it too far away, AND in an area without any repeaters.

Also, it works with both device handlers (IKEA Trådfri Dimmer and the one you posted, @Automated_House ).
The difference though is that the default one only has switch and not level like the one you posted. So, even though I am not going to be using that feature for now, I will probably use that handler instead. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Yes.
Thanks for checking on that.

On that note, wow this thing is awkward. lol
Seems to be really, really difficult to spin it just exactly correctly in order to trigger On and Off.

This is at least part of the reason I’m not even going to consider trying the whole dimming thing for now. lol

Is there any way of making it more sensitive to spinning?

Yeah, they are interesting to use. I only use mine with a bulb in mirror mode via Smart Lighting.

1 Like

Actually, as I’ve been testing it some more after having it close to the hub, it seems far less quirky than what I was experiencing at first. I swear I had to twist that thing so fast in order to get it to register that I had done it that my wrist was starting to hurt. Now though, it’s responding to a much more reasonable twist rate.

I like the sound of that mirror mode. So, perhaps I’ll have to check out that SmartApp.
Thanks again for your attention here. I really appreciate your assistance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so how do you get it to pair with ST can you give me an overview
do i reset the middle button 4 times to reset it and then hold down the middle button?
i have only paired these dimmers with HUE before using HUE essentials and touchlink
and if i add the custom DTH then howwill i know which one it is using , the default one or the custom one, how do i switch between the 2 different device handlers? i plan on using the dimming function

is there a thread on here for this DTH, would you happen to have a link to it you could post if there is

Ya, I’m pretty sure the procedure I followed was to put the system in pairing mode, and then click the reset button on the [circular] dimmer four times within 5 seconds, and it paired.

As for adding and/or choosing Device Handlers, this has to be done in the IDE (help for how to work in there exists in other threads on this forum, in SmartThings’ own documentation, and on other websites on the internet)…

https://account.smartthings.com/login

Yes i know how to add the DTH in the IDE , i mean that once i add the new custom DHT
for the dimmer then what happens? because then there will be different DTH’s for the same device installed so is there some place in the options where you can switch between the 2 ?
If ST has added native support for the dimmer then i don’t think you can remove the native DTH right
you said you tried both device handlers,native and the custom one so once i install the custom one then how do i know it is going to use the custom one and not the standard one?
i never has 2 handlers for the same device before so i don’t know how it behaves
?
or does that custom one just overwrite the standard native one
so i i want to test with the standard i should do it before i install the custom DTH

I ask because i have had trouble removing broken custom DTH’s before
there was not way to do it myself i had to call support and they tok like month to get back to me to remove it
i forget what the issue was but i had a broken DTH and smartapp i could not remove ( this was for beckyricha broadlik DTH, BTW just so you know to never install it, it doesn’t work and it cannot be removed by the user)

You edit the device and change the device type to your custom DH. No magic

To change between different Device Handlers for a given device, you need to go to the ‘My Devices’ page in the IDE.

Hello newbie here, I did read thru the thread and unfortunately still have not been able to get my Ikea Tradfri Wrireless driver to be recognized by the smartthings hub. I do have the button controller which pares fine with the hub but the hub just does not find the wireless driver for the LED strips. I would really appreciate it if any has a step by step on how to get this to work cause at the moment im forced to also use the Ikea Tradfri hub just for the 2 led strips i have. I also have the Ikea bulbs that paired just fine. Thanks in advance for any help!!

I’m having terrible luck getting my Tradfri bulbs to connect to the smart things hub.
I have the bulb 2" from the hub, search for it, and nothing happens.

Those are the instructions I’m trying to follow. When I hit START, I’m just kicked back to the previous screen.

Are you resetting the bulb to put in pairing mode?

I toggle the bulb off and on 6 times. It never flashes.
Do the bulbs need to be reset when they are new out of the box?

1 Like