Ikea Tradfri Remote Control

I have changed the handler, now you can choose between time based and report movement from button, as well as tweak steps, can change it on device settings, see if it fits better on your needs.

2 Likes

Outstanding!

Found the issue, I have the Tradfri button not the Symfonisk one. What I found is that it simply does not work with the v1 hub
 unless someone has any ideas?!

after almost 2 years with Smartthings and more than two hundred “things” of all types, I decided not to buy again anything with tiny batteries like that one. Usage may vary but overall they don’t last too long and makes them unreliable. The more buttons and functions (temperature, multiple press patterns, pinging more, etc), the worse they are. Not sure if the Ikea does it but seems to me they tend to go to “sleep” to conserve battery.

Found the issue, I have the Tradfri button not the Symfonisk one. What I found is that it simply does not work with the v1 hub
 unless someone has any ideas?!

I’m still in search of the same with the tradfri remote as well. I was hoping to get a response from @BroderickCarlin but until then it seems like I’m in the same boat as you since I have the ADT hub. Maybe the great @Luis_Pinto could whip something up for that remote as well to help us all out crosses fingers

Have no idea, I have v2 hub, so I can’t even debug what might be happening. But I’d bet the problem is with hub communication with button, so it might not be possible. Did you try 6 buttons remote with native dht? Does it work? The protocol is similar.

I have tried the native DHT with the Tradfri remote on the ADT hub and the only thing that gets reported after connection is the battery level.

This is why I think it is incompatibility with hardware.

Just add’et that one and the small on/off with no problem V2 ST hub

1 Like

Is the DTH for the small on/off remote published? I can’t seem to find it publicly anywhere.

Do you mean the one which comes with the plug? Or can be bought separately. It looks like this.

It has the same DH as the 5 button remote. You can find it in the github repo too.

Yup
i found it. It’s working well for me on ST. Thanks!

Is the ‘Wireless Dimmer’, that has recently been released, the same thing as the two button remote in the outlet kit? In the UK the outlet is £10, the dimmer £6, and the outlet kit £19 so there is something of a premium for the kit.

No, the 2 button remote is just on/off. It doesn’t dim. The dimmer kit must include the puck style dial dimmer.

But you say the outlet kit includes the on-off remote and the outlet and is 3 pounds more than them separately? That doesn’t sound right to me.

The 2 button remote is called dimmer in some places. Indeed it can dim the IKEA bulbs directly. The puck is the old dimmer. The two button switch is the new dimmer. There are sets with old or new dimmer and bulb. And there is the new dimmer/two button remote and the plug.

In the IKEA environment the two button switch when pressed long, is capable to dim. In Smartthings it is just held, due to the command goes trough the hub and the cloud. When directly connected to the bulb and held, it send the same message repeatedly and the bulb decodes that as dimming steps. The DH decodes the repeated message only once and knows that is held state.

3 pounds more, because they already paired them for you. Hahaha

Uhm
excuse me?!? The device is paired directly to the hub via zigbee so, that doesn’t make a bit of difference. I am not seeing a release event from the button, possibly because of the difference between ZHA and Touchlink pairing. But the cloud has nothing to do with it.

For example, Deconz doesn’t even expose the held. In that system it is simply a 2 button on/off remote. So, it all depends on what has been exposed in the binding to the device.

You can write your own code, where the held messages is decoded every time and it counts how many times. But at the end when you release it, it will not send anymore messages. Then your lights would react, according how many message was received.
As it sends the messages quite often, you can produce race conditions in the DH, especially if you would use together with a SmartApp to control the brightness. The race condition would make it a bad user experience.
In IKEA world, the device is directly sending the messages to the bulb, no hub required, no cloud processing, no delay. The bulb reacts on each message, no need to pass it to another SmartApp. That is why there it can work as a normal dimmer.

By the way, you can use it as a dimmer with the ABC Advanced Button Controller too, but the other way around. Single press as dimming, long press to turn it on and off. Each press will do a predefined step change. (If you press too often you can create still race conditions.) But the point is to be a dimmer in IKEA environment, that how long you hold it, that much it changes in front of you the brightness. Like a real physical dimmer switch with continuous change an no jump.
Clear as mud?

I’m not even going to bother going into how wrong you are because you are just obfuscating the issue and trying to hide the fact that you are wrong. Being in the cloud might be the reason they chose to not bind to the release events, but that doesn’t mean they are not there. The cloud isn’t the cause of the issue.

So on long press the LEVEL_CONTROL_CLUSTER sends the messages. On short press the ONOFF_CLUSTER.
Just think of it how flawless continuous dimming would work. Button send the dimming step message, hub receives, goes to the cloud parsed, event generated, subscribed smartapp acts on event, sends dim step to a device which might be cloud-to-cloud, lan, zigbee or zwave connected, hub sends the message to the device (level+x is the new level), device changes dim level, reports back to the hub the level, that parsed in the cloud and the level attribute is saved. Meanwhile the button sent already another message and the whole thing has started with the previous attribute stored. It is called race condition. You can get over it using atomicState, but can you imagine how it would work when you are trying to dim multiple lights (just imagine the popcorn effect). Different levels would fly around all the lights until the button is released and it would stop at a brighter level, when it was released.
Meanwhile when directly connected the button sends the command directly to a single or multiple bulbs with multicast messages. And the result is a nice continuous and synchronized dimming. https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-developers-guide/state.html

1 Like