Ikea Tradfri Remote Control

How weird. I hope that doesn’t drain the battery any faster, sending signals to two places at once.

Thats’ weird - I am on the same firmware as @GSzabados but I cant seem to get the left and right buttons to do anything. press or hold of those two buttons does not get registered in the app

I am really new to Smartthings and have not even looked at the IDE yet…

1 Like

Check your numbers again, you are on the same firmware as @pavichokche

ah sorry - so are you saying the old firmware is needed for this to work?

@GSzabados If the ADT/v1 do not support this, does that also mean the Nvidia Shield dongle doesn’t either? I’m not getting any button events on my TRADRFI switches and after reading this thread it’s looking like that’s the cause. TIA for your help.

You are right. The Nvidia is not supporting that neither as I can remember. But there is a slight chance that those dongles/boxes will receive in the future some newer firmwares. But it has not been really confirmed neither by SmartThings or Nvidia.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. This was what finally pushed me toward Home Assistant. It’s a huge learning curve but it’s been something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. I can confirm that with Home Assistant these Tradfri devices to work.

2 Likes

Hi friends, in conclusion and latest update: does Ikea Tradfri 5 button remote control functions in Smarthings ?

Yes totally?, Yes at most of it?, No at most of it ?, Not at all ?; Can it be paired natural and easy to ST hub or you need to do some techie hack tricks ?. Does it need an Ikea Hub ?.. Does it need an DTH ?

In the New App Ikea brand is listed also 2 devices: Ikea Button and Ikea Dimmer…

Thanks in advance sharing your knowledge and experience

Pd. Im planning purchase 2 and I do not want buy a nightmare…

You have SmartThings, which can be a nightmare on it’s own… :wink:

Sorry for the early morning sarcasm. I woke up to no Automations working, which led to finding almost all of my Zigbee devices offline. Rebooting the “house” seems to have taken care of things, so I’m passing the time here while waiting for stuff to come back and work again.

2 Likes

5 buttons, total 9 press/hold. The middle button hold function is not working. Cloud based DH, if Internet goes off, you loose all functions.

2 Likes

Dodged this bullet:

1 Like

Does anyone experience that the middle buttons triggers a smart Plug (Xiaomi for instance) without making any automation ? Is that possible ? Can someone please help ?

Yes, it is possible. The remote has a default binding group and the Xiaomi plugs are having the same one.

You can try to remove the button completely, reset it, and then add again, but that time unplug the Xiaomi plug. It might work, but there were mixed results so far.

2 Likes

I am having a lot of issues with the Tradfri remote on the ST side. If I try to change the actions for a button, most of the time the “Done” will be unselectable so I can’t save the actions. Furthermore, the actions are very unreliable—ST will indicate that a button was pressed but it will fail to actually do the saved action for that button. Any ideas?

There was another topic about this recently. There is a bug with the quick control.

Build Automations by yourself and don’t use the quick control from the device’s page.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was indeed the issue. I used automations and it’s working well.

3 Likes

Could someone please help advise if this set up is possible with Smartthings and IKEA Trådfri products?

A group of 4 Ikea bulbs controlled with 2x Ikea 5 button remotes.

• On/off and dimmer all bulbs together. Progressive dimming is not necessary, but these operations should be local so the remotes work if the Internet is down.
  • Left and Right buttons programmed for a scene e.g. turn a single bulb on at a predefined % brightness. This doesn’t need to be local.
  • Control bulbs with app and Google assistant

Going through this thread it’s not clear if this is possible. Only having 3 buttons work local and app/ voice control is what I believe the Ikea gateway provides, so trying to work out the benefit Smartthings would bring. I ideally want local plus programing the 2 left/right colour buttons.

There are two operation types

• hub
  • group

Ikea remote supports both, and it’s not really configurable.
So it’s possible to add all the bulbs to the group (pairing with the button) and it will work directly without a hub and internet. Also, the hub can listen to the same messages and run scenes.

But if the bulbs react on the left-right button’s click (color\temperature change) they will continue to respond to group messages.

Bulbs can also be controlled via Google assistant.

I have a similar setup at my home. The 5 button remote is in the same Zigbee group as the kitchen led panels (direct control). And left-right buttons are assigned to control the IKEA blinds (via hub)

When you say hub, you mean the smart things hub right? Not the Ikea gateway?

The bulbs I have are not colour/temperature, only dim so I want to re-purpose those 2 buttons like you seem to have done. Just wasn’t sure if I needed smart things for that.

yes, it works on the Smartthings hub. I do not have Ikea gateway

1 Like