IFTTT now only allows 3 applets in the free version

Yes of course, I was half joking about Home Assistant because Paul kind of mocks people who thinks it’s the solution to everything. I said a little while back Home Assistant isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s definitely not for someone just getting started with home automation that’s for sure.

And that’s a problem Paul mentioned. If home automation gets too difficult and expensive with nickle and dime fees, people will turn away and it will end up hurting everyone using it. I read about some promising new standards coming soon that might make IFTTT irrelevant down the line https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.imore.com/apple-and-google-backed-smart-home-standard-will-launch-2021%3Famp

So, more importantly I guess, what are some IFTTT alternatives now? Alexa routines seem like a possibility, but the Smartthings Alexa skill is a train wreck. I use virtual IFTTT garage door sensors for my MYQ door, but I could just buy a tilt sensor which would pay for itself quickly.

I signed up for the 1.99 plan to buy time to figure things out, but I’m getting kind of tired always looking for workarounds to replace functionality that is either lost our suddenly costs money lately. For me, the cost benefit to getting Home Assistant running keeps moving in it’s direction, but I know that is not for everyone.

1 Like

That’s actually addressing a different kind of Home Automation standard: it’s a network messaging protocol. Similar to zwave and Zigbee, but for IP devices.

When a Z wave device or a Zigbee device joins a network, it can “advertise“ its capabilities. So it tells the hub “I am a dimmer, I can accept multi level set commands.“ Or “I am an on/off switch.“ Or “I am a battery operated sensor.“ this is what allows easy interoperability for devices from different brands.

Up until now, there has been no similar home automation protocol for Wi-Fi or other IP devices. Every manufacturer of Wi-Fi switches made up their own message format. So for one you might have to send “01“ to turn it on. For a switch from a different brand you might have to send “alpha zero.“ You could have another brand where you had to send “banana” (that one isn’t a real example, but the point is every on/off switch had its own message format.) Among other things, that made it very difficult for the various voice assistants who had to have a unique integration for every different brand of Wi-Fi device.

So they finally got a bunch of big companies together, including all the voice assistant companies, and said let’s do what Zigbee does and have a standard protocol so each device can tell the voice assistants what it is and what commands it can accept. Thus making both onboarding and interoperability much simpler.

That standard specifically is NOT Going to standardize either a rules engine or the UI. As a smartthings parallel you can think of it as A set of generic DTHs for IP devices.

As Such, it doesn’t necessarily make Ifttt irrelevant. It might just make it easier to add new brands to Ifttt. At some point you still need an if/then rules engine, and Ifttt could still be that if it chooses to.

There’s an existing community discussion thread on Project CHIP:

Apple, Amazon, Google & Others want to create a universal smart home standard (Project CHIP)

1 Like

The whole CHIP program is very ambitious. The article I read last week was the first I heard of it. Thanks for the additional info.

I’m sure everyone uses IFTTT differently, but I’ve generally thought of IFTTT as a “roseta stone” type of service. I’ve always used it to get two totally different things working on different apps/protocols/etc to talk to each other through it. Its always been a crummy and limited rules engine to me, and I’ve used something else (right now pretty much Webcore) after linking IFTTT say to a virtual switch in Smartthings to actually make the automation happen. It does seem with the announcement of the paid plan, being more of a rules engine is the direction they want to go now with more complex rules beyond just “If this then that”. I’ll have to see if that’s worth it, but I’m much more interested in what’s going to happen with the Smartthings rules API.

Saying it would make IFTTT irrelevant was probably not the best choice of words, but if the CHIP standard can eliminate that need for IFTTT to be the “missing link” in a lot of situations with a more unified standard, it definitely can still be a threat to their business or cause them to need to adapt. Sure CHIP itself won’t be the actual UI/Rules engine, but if CHIP works, and Smarthings is onboard, imagine multiple different wifi devices working with the smartthings hub/app directly as the UI, with Smartthing’s new rules engine, - no idea if that’s how it will work, but I could see situations where it leaves IFTTT out of the equation as a middle man there.

I guess I’ll just be paying the $1.99 a month (they said that rate is good for 12 months) to get through the next little while for everything to be figured out. It seems they are only doing that “reduced” pricing through 10/7 though, after that will they expect anyone that didn’t sign up to pay the full $10 a month? That would stink, and to me, its definitely not worth $10 a month, at least in its current form. I also don’t want to pay for a future “promise” either. That didn’t work out too well for anyone that stuck around with Wink.

FWIW, I decided a couple of weeks back that the functionality I was getting from IFTTT was worth the added complexity, and I have some privacy concerns, so I disconnected it from SmartThings. This was actually just prior to the notice of Pro.

Local solutions are looking better every day.

Cheers

I would think the only hub similar to smartthings is hubitat @JDRoberts but from what I read it is somewhat complex & the other issue is the hubitat mobile app is something like a to be continued project. But if the hubitat creators ate the original smartthings creators then hopefully hubitat could mirror the classic smartthings…I mean how it was not hard to setup…simple.

Hubitat’s founders are people who were originally power users from the smartthings community. They were not smartthings employees that I know of. nor were any of them app developers.

You can use sharptools with either smartthings or Hubitat, and it’s a nice polished dashboard. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

They aren’t, they’re folks who were doing a lot of customization/development for ST and saw enough shortcomings that they thought they could do better. Search didn’t help me find a thread going back to when they announced, I guess it’s possible they’ve been removed or consolidated into the alternative hubs thread…

@JDRoberts Jinx…

1 Like

There is a new wrinkle in the ifttt saga…

“For a limited time, you may set your price for IFTTT Pro and we will honor it indefinitely. All subscriptions are in US$ and renew monthly.”

1 Like

Yeah, this is starting to feel like wink. I guess they are not getting anywhere near the response they thought they would and it’s time for a Hail Mary. But that’s just a guess.

6 Likes

So I went back-and-forth with myself today over whether I wanted to sign up at $1.99 a month for Ifttt, and I decided not to, because I don’t want to invest my time and energy in a service that may disappear pretty soon. I’d rather go ahead and find alternatives now.

The weird thing is that if they had presented this differently and said “We can’t afford to continue to provide the cloud services that make this work unless we have more help from the community. We’d like to ask for voluntary $15 a year to keep it going. Or you can subscribe for $35 a year and get access to our advanced services.“

And I probably would’ve given them the $15, And maybe even the 35. And I would’ve felt better about the company and I would’ve understood the issues they’ve run into.

But the way they did it, just pulling the rug out from existing applets but trying to package it in a “new and improved“ subscription service left me with a lack of confidence in them. And, yes, less of a feeling of connection.

Maybe that’s just me. But I know this whole shift felt really different to me than the recent Wyze issues.

12 Likes

And a lot like the Skydrop debacle.

1 Like

Agreed. Wyze tripped up on a feature. IFTTT tripped up on their entire business model.

1 Like

Paul’s latest IFTTT video. Between his video and @jdroberts comments above, I am really second guessing paying for this, even if it is only $1.99. Its definitely bad news for the whole industry if everyone starts doing this.

1 Like

Unfortunately,since there was so little notice, until I can find new ceiling fan and light switches that control speed and dimming, I am stuck paying for IFTTT in order to be able to automate my fans and lights. But after that, I am canceling my IFTTT account.

1 Like

Yes same here, I’ve watched too many Paul videos and have rmpros and Tuya smart bulbs. They are cheap and work well, but limited integrations. If we can get reliable Alexa integration, I can do almost everything through Alexa routines with those devices, but we all know what a mess that is right now so I’m stuck with IFTTT in the short term

1 Like

I did what Paul did and created a few IFTTT accounts, each with 3 free applets. :wink:

3 Likes

Ironically, fan control is what got me to start playing with ST and migrate away from IFTTT. I have a Bond bridge that had a variety of IFTTT automations. Bond abandoned IFTTT, but posted a video on how to use a linked service on ST instead.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Bond Success

Sounds like a good project! I’m sure your mom will appreciate it.

Why don’t you start a new thread on this so people can brainstorm with you. It’s pretty far off topic for this particular thread. And you’ll get more responses when you have a specific topic title.

You can put it in the following section:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/Wiki/projects-stories/10

Thanks! Is there a way to move my post or should I just repost it?