IFTTT now only allows 3 applets in the free version

When I try to add a new applet, I see this a warning telling me to upgrade to IFTTT Pro for a “name my own price” minimum $1.99 a month. Trying to add a new applet shows this:

Existing applets above the limit seem to still run.
While they are certainly entitled to charge for their service, it’s unusual for something like this to launch with no warning at all!

2 Likes

Wow, it seems you are right. I have 28 currently, so we’ll have to see what happens there…

Apparently they rolled out paid plans today. :scream:

1 Like

Yikes!

Stacey Higginbotham has more detail

clearly companies don’t want to bear the cost. But to do this with no warning… And with a “name your own price“ tier implies to me that Ifttt itself is in very serious financial trouble.

I’ve mentioned previously that I thought the increasing feature advances in Alexa routines were significantly reducing the need for Ifttt. In fact, I don’t think I’ve recommended Ifttt to anyone outside of this forum for the last year or so. And that was only when the person was already asking a question about how to integrate a specific device and the device had Ifttt support already. Or for SmartThings and smart watches.

And with HomeKit having added complex conditionals through Shortcuts and homebridge having added Virtual switches that’s yet another path for those willing to deal with a higher level of technical complexity than the Amazon route.

Back in 2015, the combination of Siri and Ifttt was one of the simplest ways to get voice control for a lot of home automation. It was clunky, with a lot of “_room name” type constructs, but for those of us who really needed it, it was a lifechanger.

Nowadays there are more choices and I will probably just let my Ifttt account dwindle away.

From an industry standpoint the question is whether we are reaching the phase where pretty much everything you want can come from the giant companies, Including free services. I’m not sure whether we’re there yet or not, but I do think we are getting close.

3 Likes

I’m kinda torn on this. It kinda pisses me off that they are double dipping by charging both the manufacturers and the users. But at the same time, it costs money to run this stuff, so i’d rather see them charge for it than go belly up. I still rely on it to integrate SmartThings with Google/Nest Wifi and Wyze, so i’ll probably throw them a couple bucks a month to see what the Pro features are all about since I have to use it.

2 Likes

Hmm, what to do… I might have to sacrifice an order of chicken fries.

3 Likes

You should be able to do that through Alexa routines, no? Or are there some options not exposed?

Alexa routines doesn’t have the full set of actions for Wyze that IFTTT has. Things like turning on/off notifications, triggering a recording, etc. are only available through IFTTT.

I’ve started playing with the Pro features. It appears SmartThings isn’t available for the new Query feature. :frowning:

The filter feature requires writing JavaScript. Not exactly user friendly…

1 Like

It’s either subsidize to stay on the market, or charge to stay in business. Companies with deep pockets can afford to subsidize, but the Winks of the world, they either need to charge or go out.

1 Like

Or stay in business with a unique offering long enough to get bought out by a giant. That worked for Ring and Blink, but it’s like going to college in the hope of making a major league team. It’s only going to be a small percentage who get to go on.

1 Like

It looks like I have 3 active, 2 for Wyze and one for my Bloomsky images. There a few more that I can live without or maybe find a different way of accomplishing what I need.

1 Like

I had already pared down to 3 - two are novelties and the third has such bad latency as to be useless. IFTTT has become so irrelevant to me that I deleted the app from my phone a few days ago (had to make room for my fantasy football app).

1 Like

The email I received today said the name your own price minimum of $1.99 was for the first month only. No mention of cost after.

Edit: reread that. It is first year!

2 Likes

Well, at least they’re not charging for existing applets yet. Thanks @JDRoberts for the link to this topic to keep tabs on things.

1 Like

Thought I would share this. I emailed IFTTT today and asked if they will continue to allow use of applets created before the Pro Plan was initiated. Their response was that all basic plans (free plans or pro plans that are cancelled) will be reduced to 3 applets as of Oct 7th.

2 Likes

Anyone seeing these errors today?

4 Likes

LMAO, loved it…

Love his home office too!

2 Likes

Well that sure didn’t last long.

Good video, thanks @jkp. Paul’s absolutely right.

IFTTT fees + Smartthings mess = Home Assistant?

1 Like

Different things work for different people. :sunglasses: HomeKit + Homebridge + Shortcuts is another possibility.

2 Likes