IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

Indeed… I am into day 18 waiting for a replacement also.

I am currently waiting for delivery of the starter pack as part of the Samsung and Insider’s WOM campaign and I find it disappointing that it is unlikely to be fixed before the 6 week campaign is over.

Doesn’t bode well for positive marketing.

So i found that this is only just starting to ‘Trial’ (regardless of the word campaign being used this is clearly a consumer trial) [https://www.theinsiders.eu/index.php?section=campaigns/blog&country=14&id=9093&page=1] in the UK - which i find strange on several levels - first and foremost, why is a product that is only just being put into tracked consumer environments on sale… secondly - what value will a trial be at this stage when its clear the service is not ready… its the equivalent of a car trial starting when the car only has 3 wheels - its not a good fit for the trial members and the feedback is likely to be distorted and irrelevant for the brand. I really want SmartThings to be a success in the UK as i personally can see a large investment and many use cases for my home & life, but if a campaign [Read: Trial] to get real life UK feedback is being conducted now i can imagine a lot of worried execs by the time the feedback is collected. I really hope this doesn’t further impact the investment and roll out in the UK.

Having looked at the ‘Campaign’ information, its also interesting to see at the end of the trial, the candidates get 2 options:

"

• You keep the Samsung SmartThings devices and purchase them at a considerable discount from the full retail price.
  • You return the devices after the campaign according to the returns procedure below. Please note if the device is not returned in the specified timeframe after the campaign (see return policy below), this £99 security will be charged.
    "

Reading in between the lines - it looks like the candidates can buy the starter kit for £99 (as this is the default value charged if its not returned).

As we are clearly all part of the ‘campaign’ [read:trial] involuntarily, and already trying to provide feedback & support - i would hope we will be treated the same - eg: we are all basically eligible for a refund of some description (assuming we have all paid £199 for the starter kit - that would be £100 back - or at least £100 to spend back on additional items from the SmartThings store front). I cant speak for all but logistically a £100 store credit is likely to be the easiest to implement which would allow those who want this to work to further our set ups - which in turn can only result in more scenarios / use cases & feedback furthering the community.

Aaron - i would welcome you passing this suggestion and feedback up and look forward to hearing the response. Hopefully it will only take hours or days to decide and not weeks or months like the technical fixes…

3 Likes

I have clearly paid full price for something which is essentially in BETA, will I be getting a £100 Refund and a pat on the back for the active contribution and reporting off issues to the team? :confused: Doubt it.

4 Likes

I was all set to recommend Smartthings to a friend who was thinking about a system to notify friends/relatives in the event of no activity in the home - he had been pointed to one of those 3rings Dragon’s Den mains plug thingies, but specifically wanted something that could email as well as SMS - I researched it and came upon Smartthings in combination with Sharptools/Tasker or maybe IFTTT (he’s iOS only).

Would it be pessimistic to think the OAth problem will not be resolved before Christmas? Or can we look forward to people dumping their kits on ebay in frustration, so we can pick up a kit cheaply and then roll our own solution as detailed by cpmilez and his ‘web request to IFTTT Maker’ alternative?

2 Likes

@garyc Given the comment from the below thread I think there will certainly be an influx of ebay/open box kit going around somewhere - Giving up on SmartThings its such a shame to see something with such potential be launched too early - lets hope it doesnt damage its own reputation permanently. I too was hoping to recommend to some of my friends but so far am actively and proactively dissuading to any of my mates who i think may see this and pick one up only to be disappointing / lose interest.

@Aaron - any news on my suggestion? Now would be a great time to reach out to @djtucker if you have anything to share…

@adgwill - thanks for the heads up… trolling the forums now and looking to help where possible.

I’ll read that as trolling and not trolling ;)… I get this is not fun for any of us - yourself included taking all the flack whilst trying to remain the upbeat voice of the brand… i guess the major difference being, we are paying for this experience and feel let down whereas you are being paid (i hope not in smart things just yet) to pick up the pieces but likely had your expectations set in the first place.

It takes a lot to keep coming in each day to a negative space and still want to help but I am sure if you can continue to communicate both into SmartThings management and back down to us many beers will eventually flow your way!

I still believe the ‘campaign’ [read: test] has been timed badly and hope you can delay this until the auth issues are resolved… and offer some additional kit back to the effected full retail customers. (hopefully & worryingly you should already know where we all live!! :wink: )

Ant

1 Like

Just raised a ticket then found this doh! will keep posted of any reply I get.

1 Like

Another one eager for this, I also have the same issue trying to connect SmartThings to my Logitech Harmony Hub.

1 Like

Nooooo - I’ve just brought one of these for that reason… Is that not going to work either?

Anything where SmartThings must authorise an outside service to use the customer’s SmartThings account to access individual devices will probably not work until the Oauth issue is fixed.

If you’re used to working with IFTTT, you’ve seen this a lot when you have to set up a new channel and the first thing it does is take you to your account screen for that channel where you sign into that service. That’s the authorisation step that is failing right now when you try to sign into your SmartThings account from a different service.

The reason is that your account is on SmartThings’ new UK server, but the old integrations are going to the US server to get the account information and it isn’t there. Consequently the integration cannot be established.

Very frustrating, obviously.

Among the services affected which do work for those with US accounts are IFTTT, Harmony, Amazon Echo, LifX lights, TCP lights, some WeMo devices, smartRules, SmartTiles, SharpTools, Grovestream.

I don’t know if the following are offered in the UK or not, but if so, they would likely also be affected: Ecobee, Jawbone, Netatmo, Weatherbug…

I’m not sure about Philips Hue. It might be OK because you’re actually authorising SmartThings to use the Hue bridge rather than authorising the hue bridge to use SmartThings devices.

Because privacy laws are different in the EU and the U.S., I imagine the account structures are somewhat different. It’s rarely possible these days to just mirror accounts onto another region’s servers. Once a company has committed to providing account services for Europe, they’re generally stuck with making everything work there.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed reply. It’s explained a lot.

Is there a status page on the Smartthings site anywhere showing updates on the issue?

@JDRoberts - would the purchase of a US hub2 solve my Echo connection problems, if I obtain a US IP address, and configure the connection. I’m thinking yes, but wonder what will happen when I revert back to a UK IP - will I still encounter the same OAuth issue when I make a request, or will it work fine because all of the authorisation work has been completed.

An excellent explanation. This will clear up a lot of questions UK users have/ will have.

Many thanks

Bob

Hue is working fine, as you say, it just talks directly to the Bridge.

I did manage to get Netatmo (Weatherstation) to connect to UK hub/account whilst I was still using my SmartThings Hub (boxed up for return now). If anyone is interested in also trying to do this let me know and I’ll try and recall how I did it. What I do know is that the method didn’t work for anything else Oauth, only Netatmo.

1 Like

Take a look at the logs. You can clearly see the hub talking to the Hue bridge over the local network. SmartThings does not even have my Hue Credentials.

1 Like

To clarify (hopefully)… Philips has two options in their app to control the bridge - LAN and cloud. To use their cloud integration you need to create an account on Philips website. The SmartThings-Hue integration uses the LAN (which is why you do not need a SmartThings and Hue account).

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks for the correction! As you know, this integration has changed a couple of times, and I link my Hue bridge to so many different outside services, I may just gotten confused.

The main point is still that the Smartthings/Hue integration is working in the UK and is not affected by the OAuth problem. :sunglasses: