SmartThings Community

IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)

oauth

@625alex @tgauchat Many, many thanks for this. Thanks for all the hard work.

(Stephen Hill) #322

Have to say a massive thanks to @joshua_lyon and @tgauchat for updating their apps so quickly.

As Josh says though, it’s worth pointing out that these fixes use a way which SmartThings are planning to make obsolute by the end of the year, so as great as it is that we have a fix… it is only temporary.

SmartThings need to discuss a longer term fix with community developers. Any thoughts @Aaron?

I’m having this exact same issue. Could you be more precise on what you did to fix it?

{“error”:true,“type”:“java.lang.ClassCastException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

I understand those with UK accounts can now add the SmartThings channel to their IFTTT account. Can you actually create recipes that control SmartThings devices yet?

I have some online friends waiting on this. The simplest, if not the most elegant, way to add voice control to SmartThings is simply to send a voice text to IFTTT and have that trigger a SmartThings action. ( this is a method first identified by @Will_Poirier).

Generally it costs nothing as long as there is no cost to send a text, and it requires no additional devices. And a single text can be used to trigger multiple IFTTT recipes. So it is especially helpful for people with limited hand control as essentially anything that can be done in SmartThings can then be done by voice.

However, it does require IFTTT recipes that work. So are we there yet?
Thank you.

(The voice text message is rather clunky. “Hey, Siri, tell house hashtag kitchen underscore lights on”. No natural language. However, it’s a great deal better than not having it if nothing else is available. :sunglasses:

For those interested in more about voice command solutions with SmartThings, see the following topic. However, I believe all except the SmartWatch widgets will require that OAuth is working.

Voice Command Solution - Discussion )

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #326

Definitely tag @HughB for more details on his fix, but also jump over to the main SmartTiles Topic to seek further help…

(Stephen Hill) #327

As far as I’m aware IFTTTT hasn’t been updated yet with the fix - or at least it hasn’t for me.

(Tim Slagle) #328

(Lind Lau) #329

Can add channel to IFTTT but when try to use receipe there is no device to select
eg *** problem accessing your motion sensors! ****

Any Harmony update please? The lack of mention makes me believe there is a lack of co-operation (mentioned on IFTTT) and it will be 2016 before fixed

(Tim Slagle) #331

Also being worked on

Pretty sure I went into device order. That collected the device list and i guess updated it. clicked done and away we went.

(Bob Tume) #333

I have just posted a query as to when we can expect harmony to make the required changes in the harmony home control forum as there was no mention of the problem that I could see in there.

Maybe badgering from both ends might speed things up

Bob

(Mike Turner) #334

I was so hopeful the issues were fixed. Just logged in and managed to connect SmartThings to IFTT; even showed up my location and then all my devices which I gave permission to. Tried linking a Recipe to my locks and just comes up saying '*** Problem Accessing Your Locks!*** :frowning:

(Tim Slagle) #335

Update:

Super close guys and gals.

Going through final rounds of testing right now. :smile:

(Dean Smith) #336

This this for a global 3rd party solution? Or are we just talking IFTTT here?

(Tim Slagle) #337

IFTTTT

(Jean Jacques Boudart) #338

Same issue. I can see all my Things when I grant the access on IFTTT, but they are not available when I want to build a rule.

I will try to find it, it can do no harm…

One more option if you’re willing to copy and paste someone else’s code

If you’ve been waiting for the OAuth problem to be fixed so you can use one of the third-party rules engines, I did just want to mention one new alternative. This one demonstrates one of the real strengths of SmartThings, which is that community members can develop new smart apps and make them available to others.

Because this one works entirely within the SmartThings, it is not affected by OAuth. However, you will have to copy and paste The code into your own account.

The third-party options are very nicely polished and offer a lot of functionality and are easy to install.

However, if you’re willing to copy and paste someone else’s code, One community member has created a smart app that will let you more easily combine multiple rules. So something like “my wife is home and it’s after 10 PM and someone entered the bedroom” then do something. It’s called “rule machine.” Again, it’s going to look more techy than the third-party solutions because it’s limited by the options available to something that runs inside the SmartThings mobile app, but it’s worth considering. @bravenel has contributed a lot of code to the community over the past two years, and is well known for being able to solve very complex multiple device scenarios.

To begin, take a look at the FAQ on using custom code. Then if that sounds like something you’d be willing to try, continue to the actual thread about rule machine.