Ideas for "armed" physical indicator? (UK)

I have a series of motion detectors, door open sensors, and vibration sensors, which if triggered, activate various sirens and lights around the house. They only do this if our virtual switch “alarms on” is on. Anyway we usually activate the virtual switch from our phones. Now, sometimes we have an overnight guest, and they might wish to wander the house at night. I wanted to set something up with an indication LED on which can also act as a switch or button so the guest can immediately see if the alarms are armed or not, and disarm them. The best I can come up with is a lamp with a smart bulb and a smartthings button that when pressed turns on or off the lamp and the virtual switch at the same time. Thing is that seems a rather large bit of equipment for a mere indicator and it would probably make too much light outside the bedrooms. Are there any tiny LEDs that can operate as part of a smart home system?

Oh, I should add that it should be two way operable - will turn on/off the virtual switch, as well as come on if the switch is turned on via the app, so it needs to be a receiver as well as a sender is what I mean.

Pretty much any smart outlet, like the Iris 3210-L outlets I use, have an LED on them to indicate the current status of the ‘switch’. They also usually have a physical, manual, momentary button on them to toggle the current status of the ‘switch’. This would be a relative small, low cost solution, although users would need to bend over to manually change the status.

There are many in-wall Z-wave light switches that also have small LED indicators. Inovelli’s latest series of switches have LED’s that can be used as indicators. I am not an expert on the Innovelli products and how they might be used, however I am pretty sure they offer quite a bit of flexibility and options.

For example, see their web page below where they mention using the color LED on the switch to indicate if the garage door is open. A simple visual reminder.

1 Like

Hmm yeah, that’s the simplest - didn’t think of it at first. Would take up a socket, that’s the main thing against. Would be nice to get a usb-powered solution instead, since I already have some things on a usb charger where I’d want this to go. But yeah I’ll shortlist that for in case nothing better comes up

1 Like

People have done this many different ways. The following thread discusses 6 or 7 different status light options, although not all of them have a pushable button.

Status Indicator Light

The simplest these days would probably be the Homeseer Wall Switch which has a row of tiny indicator lights and multi tap capabilities. So you could use it as a regular zwave light switch with a single tap and change the alarm status with a double tap. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice bit of kit, but I’m in the UK and I don’t have a wall switch I can spare to rig this up to. If I find a UK z-wave version and can somehow set it up with a power supply then it might work… But it’s complicated to use as I’d have to teach the guest exactly what colour light to check for.

I just set up something like this, I used this red usb bulb and plugged it into a USB phone charger and plugged that it in to a smart socket in my kitchen. I then used webcore to turn the socket on when the alarm is armed, otherwise turn off. It takes up a socket, but i could not think of anything else.

1 Like

Yeah I might not find a really neat way. Would be helpful if our Google Nest Hubs that we do have handily all over the place actually showed the status of devices without having to pull and push and tap so many things to get there. Then all the guest would have to do is touch the screen and see a button called “Alarms” that would be showing either on or off. Heck, even once you’re in the devices section you can’t choose the order and they don’t show their current status! An Action Tiles tablet might do the trick, but since my free trial was up I can’t find a way to pay that they’ll accept. And anyway both these methods are cloud-dependent and interfacing an alarm system in a cloud dependent way isn’t too good really

1 Like

Tagging @625alex

1 Like

Take a look at the thread I linked to, there are a couple of other options there that might give you ideas.

Status Indicator Light

As far as teaching guests, most people just use red for “system armed’ and white or even just off for “system not armed.” That’s intuitive and avoids colour blindness issues for most people. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Please contact support@actiontiles.com with your account details to have your trial extended and to discuss alternative payment methods.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@Inge_Jones
I am not aware of any UK wall light switches that would be suitable for this.

The options that occur to me for the UK would be -

1. Use a smart plug to turn a light plugged in to it on or off
  2. Use a smart plug with built in light on or off
  3. Use Smartthings to control the colour of a bulb e.g. red, amber or green to reflect away arm, night arm, unset. Bulb could be whatever smart bulb works for you e.g. Philips Hue.

The later would seem the most idiot proof.

2 Likes

I have ordered these items image

I have a cupboard under my stairs that has power points in it, and some panelling around the doors. I am going to try using a smart plug, and a USB adapter, then drill a hole in the panelling to insert the light. Then stick a button above. You press the button and the automation will turn on the “armed” virtual switch which will in turn switch on the smart plug and the light will come on. Wish me luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope you haven’t ordered them from China like I did, it took 2 months to arrive :slight_smile:

It’s Amazon Prime - supposed to be here today :slight_smile: I just need to source one of those little plastic diffuser caps to put over the hole to make it look less bodged.

1 Like

This is my crude implementation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pity Actiontiles doesn’t accept paypal, life would be a lot easier. Anyway I finally got one of my cards to succeed

1 Like

Sorry, thought I’d replied to this.

I use these mounted in a plastic enclosure, traffic light style. I also have some smartlighting rules set up to control them. All 3 are powered by seperate smartplugs and dc adaptors (yes, could save a few quid by using a single adaptor and relays, but I had them spare).

Red - fully set
Orange - setting or entering (alarm delay)
Green - disarmed.

So the lights don’t stay on unnecessarily (it’s mounted in the entrance hallway), I have a motion Sensor down there anyway, so the lights only illuminate if there’s someone there (and switch off again after zero motion).

Works perfectly and I use it in conjunction with a cheap rfid keypad (with a Fibaro ubs) to set or unset the alarm.

The idea was to have the wife/mother-in-law-friendliness of a dumb alarm system without the need to fanny on with tablets, phones etc to set, unset or view the current status.

I actually replaced the amber one with another from ebay which also beep-beep-beeps instead to give the audible entey/Exiting warning. Perfect.

1 Like

So this is what I have actually done, for now. One of these, image that just fits snugly into a 10mm hole I drilled in the surround of my understairs cupboard and one of these image to cover the hole and diffuse the light so you can see it from the side too. USB adapter connected to ST smart plug inside the cupboard which fortunately already had a power point. So smart plug comes on when the alarm system is armed. Oh, and a ST button under it to arm and disarm.

3 Likes

PayPal does not always make life easier, unfortunately. ActionTiles can issue a PayPal invoice manually when needed. 99% of the time Stripe is able to process the payment successfully.

Thank you for your purchase!

1 Like