Hue bulb without Hue Bridge?

I was using Hue bulbs without the bridge, but was having problems with my ST multi sensors being stuck open and having to repair my Z network. I bit the bullet and bought the bridge (well I got the amazon deal with bridge and 2 bulbs which I needed anyway so the bridge only cost £19), and now the ST multi sensors are working fine and actually I’m preferring the flexibility of having the bridge.

At the moment, I’m using a device handler “Improved Zigbee Hue Bulb MA” to control a couple of hue bulbs directly with ST hub. Not sure if that is the best handler, but it is working, and Google Home can also control. You’ll have to load the device handler into the smartthings API, discover the lights via the smartthings app (they will appear as generic things). Then you will have to connect the device handler to the bulbs. You can do connect the device handler within the smartthings API on the “My Device” list. Click on the device; scroll to the bottom to edit, and change the type to the device handler “Improved Zigbee Hue Bulb MA”. Hope that helps.

Worked for me!!! Thank you!

Thank you, this worked for me. Very simple. On/Off and dimmer function working well.

Nalin

Is this officially different with the latest ST app and firmware updates? I’ve tried running my Philips 432690 Hue 65W Equivalent BR30 using both default ST profiles and some of the ones mentioned in this thread and none work as fluidly as I would expect. Without getting into the details of my current state, I’m curious more generally, “Are all features of Hue bulbs now completely supported by ST default profiles without the need for a Hue bridge?”

So I really need help. I don’t have a hue bridge and now have 3 hue bulbs. All I want to do with the one ambience white of them is schedule it to turn on cool in the mornings and be warm color in the evenings. Don’t even need the smooth circadian wakeup, though it’d be cool.

From what I can tell, with just the smart things app I can still control the bulb and the color temp, but for scheduling I’d have to use a smart app. But none of the stock ones can handle color temps/color hue. So I got excited and went through the process to install the hue advanced connect app. Only to find out I needed the bridge. Are there any smart apps that don’t require the bridge to set temps on a schedule basis??

Thanks!

Check out Core. It can do this easily.

Okay thanks!!

So I want to add an existing Hue Bulb to my ST device, it keeps loosing contact with my Hue hub so I want to see if it works better on the ST hub.

However, if I delete it from Hue it’s still not being seen by ST, also a bit worried if I add it to ST will I get locked out? Also considering replacing it with a £12 Lightify bulb, anybody know if the range of them seems any more reliable?

I have the same problem, I have only one Hue White balance bulb but no bridge, and when i try to connect it to smart things it works, it finds it but no matter what type i use it doesn’t respond, only when i delete it does it flicker twice, I’ve kinda reached the end of my rope here hahaha.

Core looks powerful but rather intensive to learn for someone not really accustomed to much programming.

Anyone know of a smart app anyone has already created to control hue bulbs color temp without the hue bridge?

Smart things app can already control the color just need an app that can do it on a scheduled basis.

Sean,

I’m going to tag @obycode on this thread. I use his app called SmartRules. It’s very easy and intuitive to use. I don’t have any bulbs capable of color change so I can be sure if his app can do that for you but if it can I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the shout out @PhilB!

@Sean2a, yes SmartRules can control color temperature devices. You can give it a try for free to make sure it works for your use case.

So I actually did try Smart Rules already. It looks like it should work but couldn’t get it to change the temp. What I’m seeing is a message in smart things saying that Smart Rules activity was activated - but I’m not saying an any change in the bulb or notification that it changed.

Is there a certain device type the hue bulb would need to be set for it to work? I believe I’m using ZLL Color Temp bulb.
Thanks

~Sean

Hi Sean. What shows up in the live logging (https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs) when the rule runs?

this is the main line:

8:18:00 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method setColorTemperature() on null object @ line 1956

I’ll send you the full code around it via PM

1 Like

Just today I came across this method of using Hue bulbs without Hue Bridge or hub. I guess they are almost right with their methid: http://mobiviki.com/how-to-use-philip-hue-bulbs-without-a-hub/

So I just got a 3 pack of the A19 hue smart bulbs, these to be exact:
Philips 468058 Hue White A19 Light Bulbs, 3-Pack, Works with Amazon Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1S6I1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WFkmzbMAHVBKJ

Now I been trying to pair them with my smartthings hub v2 directly, without a hue bridge.
I have been able to search and find the bulbs as “thing” and added them. I then went to the smartthings webpage and was able to edit the device to change the name, but I can’t seem to figure out the correct “Type” to get them to function correctly/at all. I’ve tried various different ones after looking at posts on this forum to no avail. Maybe the bulbs I’m using require some other type??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I have two of the Philips Hue white bulbs (B22) connected directly to my (brand new) Smartthings hub. They took a few attempts for the Smartthings hub to recognise them as Things but from there on it was plain sailing. I use the GE Link Bulb device handler and it works absolutely perfectly. I can switch bulbs on and off and control the dimming reliably from the Smartthings hub. I’m so pleased with them that I’ve ordered two more Hue white bulbs (£14.99 each on eBay).

Update: Once the two new Hue white bulbs arrived I tried starting the discovery process (from the ST Android app) and powering the bulb on at the same instant. This worked straight away both times. :slight_smile: