Just finished my first integration of a device that required custom code and wanted to share the steps for others who may be going through one for the first time as I found there was a lot of lingo I had to sort through in addition to figuring this out. I have an iPhone. No clue what is different on Android. This is what worked for me:
- If you have already went to “My Home” and “Add a Thing” your device may have showed up as a “Thing”. I left this in and changed the name multiple times as I played with it until I figured things out. At the end of the process I eventually had to delete the device and re-add it. If you have not added it yet, I recommended not adding it until you have downloaded the code. If you have, no need to mess with it anymore as you will have to remove and re-add.
- Go to https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/ (keep this SmarthThings window open once you login, you will need to come back here)
- Click on “my hubs” and “my devices” and make sure that your hub and your devices show up. I learned the hard way that there are a couple different entry points into step # 2. The original one I was given did not actually take me to one that recognized my hub even though it let me sign-in. Technical support can help you with the correct one if your hub does not show up.
@sticks18 (gentleman who writes code) has a device handler (also referred to as DTH or custom code depending on who is talking) he has written to operate the bulbs. Follow this link to get to it:
Enhanced Zigbee Hue Bulb - Direct Connect to ST
- Scroll down and click on the link he left there which will take you to the github website where the code is kept.
- Click on Raw button
- Copy code
- Go back to SmartThings Window
- Click on “My Device Handlers”
- Click on “Create New Device Handler”
- Click on “From Code”
- Click on “Create” at bottom of page
- Click on “Publish” at top right and “For Me”
- If you previously added the device, delete it now. Go to “My Devices”, choose the device, scroll to the bottom and delete. Light will need to be off and you will need to be out of it on the app to do this.
- Turn light off
- Go on phone and add the device. (My Home, +, turn light on, etc.)
- Close app
- Once added, go to SmartThings Window and find it in “My Devices”
- Click Edit and Choose “Improved Zigbee Hue Bulb MA - Test” for “name” and “type” then click update.
- Open app on phone and test