Hub Firmware Release 17.11 Post-mortem

I’m going to share a little context to it, do what you will with it.

Right now you’ve said that there are a few cases of “red” lights and other issues which you need to investigate. These are BRICKED hubs, not a small inconvenience. This is something you can solve given time after you analyze the bricked hubs. So it mean delaying the release for a few months, what’s so critical in this release that you can’t wait for a few months to make sure you have a release which doesn’t “brick” hubs.

Bricking hubs is a no-no, I can tell you folks won’t take it in the “spirit” of things especially when you don’t have a migration tool available. I can wait for 2 months until you figure this out rather than “brick” my house and security setup. Give me a way to opt out of this update.

Furthermore, what you don’t realize is that RBoyApps don’t just help out folks on the commmunity, we’re actively partnered with manufacturers and builders to deploy SmartThings hubs into new homes and retrofit existing home backed by RBoyApps. I cant definitely say bricking hubs will cost ST a lot of new customers and reputation. You could lose retail 10 customers but if the manufacturers and installers who’re the first line of support for these new channels start seeing bricked hubs, they will not push the product anymore.

You may want to reconsider the decision to make a full blown release until you can sort out the “critical” issues like stuff that bricks hubs.

6 Likes

I agree!!!

3 Likes

^ THIS ^ x 1000.

You can count me among such “folks”.

The lack of a migration tool from Hub V1 to Hub V2 is barely tolerable, because at least the Customer has the option to (a) defer migration until they can block off a convenient time, and/or (b) stagger their migration a bit at time.

While there are conditions other than a Firmware update that could cause a Hub to fail (and thus, the need for an unplanned whole-home outage until a replacement and very labor intensive manual migration can be conducted by the Customer), anything that increases the risk of a Hub failure is … “unacceptable”.

9 Likes

I really don’t understand how you guys can experiment with us without one.

Seems like you have lost a lot of credibility…

5 Likes

Cannot agree more customer should have the option to do the ota or not and at their own pace, even my philips hue bridge asks me beforehand, honestly I would prefer stability rather than the ease of future upgrades of the firmware

5 Likes

Even our phones give us the option to defer, but not a device that runs my entire home, this I don’t understand. I don’t think they realize that some of us have 100s or hours invested in ST, like myself. I started 6 months ago and just finally got everything the way I want it last week. Are they going to reimburse me for my lost time if my hub gets bricked!!!

4 Likes

All “!!!” and no “?” … but just in case you need an answer: No.

4 Likes

Not for anything but due to the ST platform being so open the amount of different configurations is almost endless. It would be impossible for them to test all issues. While I do agree a migration tool should be implemented, there are other platforms that offer more stability vs having such a large community driven platform. This is no different from the issues you see on IOS or Android after release. In fact Apple tends to have a bunch of point releases after a major release of the OS.

Also I do agree with being able to apply the OTA updates until you are ready, that really should be an option.

1 Like

I agree 100%

Migration Tool vs “Community Driven Platform” are non-sequiturs. i.e., There is no relationship between the two of these!

Furthermore, I’ve expressed an “armchair-quarterback” opinion many times that, especially given the large, creative, diverse, innovative, technically inclined Community, we know/feel that “migration isn’t rocket science”. There are parts that are harder than others (e.g., handover of Z-Wave or ZigBee secured associations from one hub to another with hardware encryption keys, etc.) and there are easy parts … i.e., re-associating Device Objects (i.e., just data!) in the SmartThings database from one Location (Hub) to a new Hub, thus retaining all of their SmartApp relationships, room assignments, custom icons, preferences etc… The second part is “easy” from my perspective and there are, among the diversity of this tremendous Community, database experts who can grasp this at a glance. SmartThings hasn’t responded to this.

This comes down to user-control. I am certainly not in the “majority” of average Android users, but I take particular steps to mitigate upgrade risks on my phone. Before an upgrade I use a backup utility to make APK+data backups of all my Apps, and I take a full-image backup (nandroid, TeamWin, etc.). These procedures allow me to restore my device to pre-upgrade functionality within an hour or two of detecting that a minor or major Android update has caused a problem.

In other words … give us a tool to backup the Firmware and full configurations of our Hub, Locations, SmartApps, etc., and allow us to execute it before installing an update, and then we’d have the ability to rollback ourselves.

Thank-you. This is the most basic requirement to mitigate in the smallest amount the impact of a Hub failure caused by an OTA update. It does not mitigate the risk itself, but at least lets me plan a window in which to accept the risk (e.g., perhaps on a weekend when I have the time to test the update, or perhaps on a weekday when I am more likely to receive Technical Support should I run into problems).

1 Like

Just to throw out my 2 cents into the ringer on this whole topic.

I am looking at this from a couple of perspectives.

First, for all the developers and community members that are privy to all this information and understand a lot of the underlying issues, some going back to the beginning and others like myself, fairly new (last 4 months), some of the community members are taking things “in stride” and dealing with what the SmartThings staff referred to I think as “minor inconveniences” of a few BRICKED hubs, and some of those individuals are pleased and happy to deal with the issues because the staff (SmartThings) gives verbose updates on the internal struggles and issues happening within SmartThings, and then you have some of these developers who have given their time and effort to bring to us consumers, free SmartApps and things that enhance our experience and function within the SmartThings platform, and I saw a post by RBoy about his business (he’s not just a person running a single hub at home for his own pleasure) and the effects that this type of delivery mechanism that SmartThings is trying to roll out could have such an adverse affect in the marketplace and industry, not just for Samsung but the Smart Home space. This space is still in its infancy and growing at such a rapid pace, there are other players that are catching up and may exceed what SmartThings offers that other companies haven’t done as of yet, but they are coming and some will be successful and others won’t, but as these companies start bridging the gaps between all of the functionality, compatibility and devices out there, someone will end up winning the consolidation of all these items that we hope for in a single monitoring hub rather than it covers 90% of my devices. There’s the new Vera Secure Hub (being released soon) which I plan on buying and comparing side by side with what SmartThings has to offer today. There is the B.One Hub which who knows if it will ever be delivered on and the promises that this Hub says can deliver, and then finally there’s Nest, who after last years debacle, possibly have their act in order and there are rumors that they are going to introduce their own Hub and sensors to go along with it (yes I’m a little biased because I love overall what the nest products do on their own wrapped up together in their own little world - yes they make it difficult for integrating and making compatible into other Hubs and products…). While I personally appreciate the candidness by the SmartThings staff to open up and give us a complete and published write up as to the WOOOOOOAHHHHHS that are being experienced with this Firmware Upgrade, this is the wrong way to go about business. First, there is No Migration Tool (Yes someone beat the crap out of the horse so that is dead and it isn’t lost on the SmartThings staff, yet the carcass is still there), no way for an individual with a Hub to defer the timing of the Firmware upgrade (I have more points on this in the next section). This is being touted as something that needs to go in now so that future upgrades will be a drop in the bucket moving forward. Understood to a certain degree, but there is NO reason that you shouldn’t at a minimum allow the DEFERRING of the Firmware Upgrade until someone can plan out what they need to do prior to performing the upgrade and anything that they can do to mitigate issues in the event that they end up with some sort of catastrophic failure. So this brings me to my next perspective and the external customers (not the people on this list who have an inside edge on the crap going on).

So forget that this SmartThings community exists for a moment. I’m a single user who doesn’t mind some inconveniences, albeit frustrating at times, I have the luxury of dealing with issues and things breaking and maybe needing to restore some functionality or back something out within SmartThings and being part of this community makes that a lot easier to do. But my major concern that SmartThings feels that they can treat their platform as some sort of ongoing development environment for ALL the Customers / Consumers of this product. I am going to assume that a larger percentage of SmartThings customers do not belong to this community. So someone walks into a Best Buy or a Home Depot and they see the SmartThings Startup Package on the shelf. A basic customer with some basic needs for a DIY Security system in their home. As a potential customer from the outside looking in, I do a little due dilligence up front, compare some reviews, yada yada yada. (when all of these negative reviews within the community start making it outside and end up showing more negative than the positive touts and can dos of SmartThings, Samsung will start to see this negative trickle down affect and people will stop purchasing or referring this system as the one of the future). All it takes is a few articles by some of the major media outlets to create a downward spiral for a product. Sorry, getting off track. Back to the basic customer purchasing this product. They are looking for something that:

1. Ease of installation (plug and play) - Not all the bells and whistles we have all come to love with custom Smart Apps, Action Tiles, etc…
  2. Ease of maintenance (Easy addition of devices and simplicity in upgrading product)
  3. Peace of mind - The main purpose of purchasing is to be able to know that your house is safe and secure while you are away, for the most part.

Most of these customers are not going into the back end and logging into IDE to create Device Handlers or Smart Apps or change the settings, etc… Yes, these are things that the community members like to do because they are a different type of customer. But the basic customer (THE MASSES) purchased this product and will likely setup some basic things that work with SmartThings OOTB (Out of the Box) with very little required to setup.Their expectations of this retail product after a simple setup, discovery of their “Works with SmartThings” devices (maybe a Samsung Camera, a Hue Light Bulb and couple of Motion Sensors) and they setup an automation that arms / disarms their system. A very basic setup that doesn’t require them to have to investigate an issue or troubleshoot some functionality that is an add on. I am willing to bet that more of us community members (not the developers) were led to the community because of shortcomings or issues we experienced with setting up something specifically within SmartThings, whether supported, or some advanced functionality not given OOTB. My point of all this being, that most customers don’t know that all this crap is transpiring in the background and are not privvy to this information out there in the community and are just not aware and frankly shouldn’t have to depending on the intent of what they wanted to do with this RETAIL product sold in stores, not some die hard user that wants to reinvent the world within SmartThings, just an average Joe or Jane wanting to bring some sort of sense of security within their own domain. So now, with this FORCED Firmware Upgrade upon us (LOL - Yes we will notify you 24 hours in advance of us controlling the fate of your Hub and the potential security of your home), suppose someone goes on vacation (destination up to you - I will use Jamaica) for two weeks and they are relying on SmartThings as their way of monitoring their home and being able to enjoy their vacation knowing that everything on the home front is buttoned up, safe and secure (This customer doesn’t have 15 other applications in the event of failure to start opening up as a backdoor check - IE Nest App to look at cameras). So while in Jamaica, SmartThings and the wisdom that they possess, send an email to the customer on Tuesday (Firmware upgrade coming) with no option of Opting Out or Deferring, here comes Wednesday and vacation is outstanding so far, Firmware upgrade performed, and Red Light / Amber Light, anything but the green light and nobody home to power off or reboot (Yes you can do this from IDE - Basic customer remember) and this customer after a night of dinner and drinks prior to lights out, decides to check on their home, but the Hub is offline and I can’t see crap. So now what - Did someone cut the power, break in and steal all my stuff. Well, there goes vacation because now the customer is worried sick that something is wrong. A Retail product on the store shelves is treated differently than some Development Environment that SmartThings believes is ok to deliver to the FLEET OF PRODUCTION hubs? No, sorry guys that isn’t the right approach or correct one. That’s what the Beta Testing program is for and the folks in this community. So with all these issues, you continue to beta test until you have all these kinks and issues worked out. Yes I understand there is a combination of things at work here and it is impossible to test for every scenario (Cosmic dust bunnies? - OK), but to force this on the MASSES as a Trial and Error function, WITHOUT the ability for someone to back up their hub prior to installing the upgrade, a back out process, the ability to defer the upgrade, this is not acceptable to the public retail product that the customer would expect. If they understood or knew all of this that was going on, I guarantee you that a very large consumer base would skip this product altogether, because it’s all about convenience of what the customer expects. Whether this is being done for the greater good of the customer base, Samsung and SmartThings is way off base its thinking or fundamental thought process on how and who this truly impacts!

For me personally, I believe SmartThings has a lot going for it, and overall I am very pleased with the functionality, compatibility and integratability (my word) that can be performed within this platform. I have had some of my own struggles and challenges within ST, but I’m a Software Developer (ITSM Industry) willing to deal with the pains, trials and tribulations associated with adding something customized that someone has spent their own time working tirelessly on to deliver to us for free. As the Smart Home market continues to grow and emerge, the expectation of plug and play will be more the norm as companies come together and continue to collaborate and integrate more friendly customer integrations. For what is available on the market right now, SmartThings is definitely ahead of the game, but if they continue to treat this platform the way they are in the future, they will in the end LOSE. Other companies who will have learned from SmartThings “Lessons Learned” will emerge and begin to pass you up, leaving ST as the “Original”, the “Innovators”, the “Once Were” and it will be a product known as “A Thing of the Past”. Short of the product catching fire ‘cough cough’, this is a spark and kindling just waiting to erupt.

AS RBoy stated in his post, “do what you will with it”, but I’m hoping someone within SmartThings that cares enough, sends all of this up line so that those who have the power to make these decisions, really take all of this stuff seriously into consideration before doing “what they think is the correct move”, and actually weighing everything out and listening to the community and take their insight not at face value. My opinion “the writing is on the wall” if you continue to believe that for a Product of this magnitude and what it means to the consumer can be handled in the way that you are going about it. Another direction needs to be sought prior to force delivering to the FLEET OF PRODUCTION HUBS! Is this a game of Battleship? Firmware Upgrade, oops RED LIGHT. You sank my Destroyer, Game Over, You Win. Come on!

Sorry for taking so much space on this thread, but I wanted to throw out my thoughts for “the greater good of the product” in hoping that it does have a long future.

Take it for what it is. Nick - Hoping that you convey my message and ALL those who have posted above before this continued forced upgrade takes place and someone else throws a “BRICK” (Hub) through the Samsung Window, and send all this information up to someone higher in the food chain that might be able to make a better well informed decision.

Just my .02 all.

Thanks,
WB

2 Likes

And if I didn’t care about the SmartThings product and its future, I wouldn’t have wasted all my time putting my thoughts on paper / screen. Hoping that this will go somewhere where it counts and help to open the eyes of those at SmartThings before making a potentially catastrophic decision. It only takes one.

Thanks again,
WB

1 Like

Just got an email stating “On Thursday, April 6, between 2:00 pm GMT and 4:00 pm GMT, we will automatically update your SmartThings Hub to the latest firmware (version 17.12”

I can’t fight the feeling that I should work from home in order to mitigate any issues that might arise.

Or: a simple user preference to choose wether to accept automatic updates or not. An active choice to update during the weekend when the family is out and about would suit me better.

Ah well, preaching to the choir here :wink:

4 Likes

^^ THIS…SO MUCH OF THIS!!! ^^

This is exactly what we’ve all been saying they need. I don’t need perfection. I know I have to touch every device out there and I’m fine with that. Why can’t I just say Device 1 on old hub is now device 1 on new hub…so all the relationships attached to that device are still there!

This is MOST DEFINITELY NOT rocket science. It’s a giant database. I’ve worked in giant databases. Put some darn scripts together and do this!

1 Like

I think that SmartThings thinks that a backup/migration tool must not be half-assed.

I think plenty of people would be happy with half-an-ass here. Rather than focus on the technical complexity on the device-hub side, rather think-outside-the-Thing here, and focus on creative ways this can be accomplished with the majority of the effort on the UI side of the task!

1 Like

Even if it’s an export/manual convert via excel/import sort of thing, that would suffice. Granted, one side doesn’t fit all, but if it’s billed as a “you must be nerdy to figure this out”, it would be something. Then the community could pick up where it’s deficient.

1 Like

I don’t see why adding a half-ass option to the IDE “for developers use only” would be an issue. Just don’t advertise it as a consumer interaction component.

2 Likes

Not having one is half ass already.

I’m aware that not every platform has one, ST should.

1 Like

For everybody complaining about ST FW issues and how other systems don’t have these issues.
Latest Hue Bridge update ( 4/5/17) knocked all 30+ Hue devices offline and after 3 days waiting for a reply from support I went on a social media tirade. Low and behold that got Hue’s attention and in 15 minutes they were able to confirm privately that the update did have a flaw that caused an issue with some V2 bridges. This issue can not be fixed and the only solution is to replace the bridge. They will replace my bridge, however their migration tool will only work from a V1 to a V2 bridge and not the other way around so I am without control of my lights until the new bridge arrives. To further the fun since my current bridge is bricked they are going to have to look into solutions as to whether or not there is a way to migrate all the devices to the new V2 bridge when it arrives. Likely I will need to manually add each device by SN to the new bridge.

4 Likes

I also have such update on my hue bridge seems fine so far and Alexa integration also working as it was, seldom use another way to control my lights