After 32.12 was deployed I started seeing an abnormally high occurrence of OFFLINE zwave devices. I can’t tell whether the system was right before or now, but in most cases the offline device is actually perfectly fine and goes online as soon as you force some activity.
I wonder whether incorrectly written DTHs that might not follow ST’s rules for online/offline status might be to blame (at least in part). Anyone know?
In the past couple days I have run into another complete zwave meltdown with over 40 devices no longer responding. Even excluding the devices was nearly impossible so I resorted to resetting all the devices and then force deleting them in the IDE. While I was working on this I found a HomeSeer WS-200+ switch that had it’s led blinking, the paddles were not working at all and the load was stuck off. Power cycling it did nothing and it wasn’t responding to the reset procedure either. Once I physically removed it, the remaining zwave devices started coming back to life.
How is it possible that one single bad device can cripple a network with over 100 zwave devices so badly??
Anyway, back to the original problem, it would be nice for the new app to stop falsely claiming devices as offline. Can anyone give me a tip on what to look for in the DTH to ensure it is programmed to check in with the hub often enough?
Having the same problem since yesterday. Any solution yet?
I don’t mind the app claiming devices as offline as long as that is all it does, and as long as it is in agreement with everything else about the offline state.
It is when it stops letting you do things because of it that I take issue, especially if those things might put it back online. I want the advice, but I should decide how much weight to place in it.
As for DTHs, I’ve commented many times on how device Health might be more robust if ST actually documented it so the community could implement it as intended, rather than as implemented by someone else, who copied it from someone else, who copied it from a stock handler which might not be the gold standard it was assumed to be.
As an example, it really annoys me to see my backyard gate sensor as offline because I never know whether it is actually working or not. In the few cases I tested it, it went back online as soon as I opened the gate. How can you rely on intrusion detection systems if you don’t have certainty they are operational?
However, I am also quite sure that the online status is not always accurate either as I’ve seen devices marked online which were actually not… maybe it was just a matter of time.
Agreed on needing official info on how to program health status. I doubt it will ever happen for Groovy DTHs though.
Start looking for a replacement of my useless SmartThings hub. This is ridiculous with 100+ devices all offline and not working. And zero support from Samsung.
If 100% of your zwave network is down I would check to see if the zwave radio is marked as functional on the hub. Look in the hub section of the IDE. If not, you most likely need ST support to help you out. If only a portion of your network is down, like in my case, it may be fault of one of your devices - and not ST necessarily - as it was my case. One bad switch caused 40% of my network to go offline and the rest to not work or work very poorly. Once I got rid of the device, it all went back to normal. Not STs fault unless there is some way for them to isolate a bad device and they aren’t doing it.
earlier this year when there was a firmware update I had these problems and the only thing that fixed it was a HARD RESET (unplug push and hold recessed button on back near power plug for 30 seconds until the yellowish light turn solid yellow) of the hub. a HARD RESET will cause the hub to re-download the latest firmware. the hub is ready to be added when the led is solid green.
That must be a nightmare as you have to reset and add back all devices which is a few days of work for me. Last time I think it took me a week to rebuild. I would reach out to ST via this forum before taking that extreme. Samsung ST Support is not very helpful (I am being kind…) but the ST engineers that post here are always great at helping!
yes, at first it was. though I’ve done a reset several times over the last year and each time it gets more routine and faster with 300 devices. First, I add back in all the router/repeat plugs and the main devices. then add back in the reset over time.
The good thing about doing a HARD RESET is that you are starting over fresh and no “cut and tape” patching.