HRV come on with the furnace

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to figure out how to get the HRV working when the furnace comes on. The HRV is connected to ST Smart Outlet and have programmed Smart Lighting app to turn the HRV on/off every few hours during the day.

In addition to this, I want the HRV to come on whenever the furnace starts up. I have a ecobee3 and is integrated into ST via Yves Racine’s app.

I have tried various apps like Smart Lighting, Smart Home Ventilation, Rule Machine etc but none of them have a setting to check if ecobee3 is reporting that heating has started; or maybe I haven’t looked correctly.

Is there any insight the Community can offer? Will there be a need to write a specific program/app for this?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the furnace 110v? if so you could use a smart outlet to monitor power and then I believe either smart lighting or the Power allowance app to do what you want.

No idea what HRV is, but most furnaces have a set of dry contacts- could use a contact sensor off of that. If none, most also have a 24V output, could use that to trip a relay and again dry contact sensor.

It probably is 110 anyway, even if it’s an electric furnace it probably has a 110 fab.

HRV should be heat-recovery ventilator