How's your Minimote battery life?

UPDATE: My batteries arrived today. I replaced the battery in the one Minimote that has never held a charge and so far all seems good.

I left the exiiting wires soldered to the board, clipped them then soldered the new battery to those. the wire on the replacement battery is not long enough to reach the solder points on the PCB.

When I charged the new battery up it never got warm (like my others do very slightly) so for a while I was concerned that perhaps it wasn’t charging. The again, I did have the cover off still. But after an hour or so the light turned blue.

I’ll report back after a while.

4 Likes

I had a bad experience with a minimote. the day I received it from buydig.com, it would only work when plugged in. so i left it plugged in overnight thinking it was “really” dead from sitting in a warehouse. next day it won’t work at all (plugged or not.)

Sending it back. Paid $19.95 cheap yes. but it’s still my money that was used for a faulty item. even if i pay $18 to return it (which I won’t) It’s the principle.

Just ordered another from amazon for $22

I ordered 2 from Buydig, both didn’t accept a charge. Send a a message to customer service from their website. Click on Customer Service link bottom of page and then - Send Message to Customer Service. Buydig has shipped me 8 of them in 4 different shipments. My 1st order was place 7/27/2017. I finally got 1 that is accepting a charge and it’s been working for 3 days sofar! Buydig email said to keep or dispose of the Minimotes that are not working. I haven’t thrown them out yet and may try destructure00 advice to resurrect them with a replacement battery

1 Like

The battery change seems to have been successful. Still charged after several days (versus not charging at all).

5 Likes

Blockquote So is it just a matter of separating the minimote halves? Any tips so I don’t completely destroy it? Is there a + & - wires for the original battery and the replacement battery and you just trimmed it to fix back into the unit? Thanks in advance.

Use something plastic to pry open the two halves. Start on the sides. I’ve marked the anchor points. The two on the right were the hardest to undo so be careful. I would try to pry open the other three first then if you can push against the tabs on right one at a time to free them. NOTE - the tabs are actually on the half not in the photo. The photo shows the points where the tabs go in to.

Image is before battery change. I cut the wires at the half way point and soldered the wires from the new battery to them. I just matched the wires black to black and red to red.

6 Likes

Thanks for the pic and tip. Just ordered the batteries, gonna take awhile from China. I’ll leave the wires on the board alone and clip it at the battery end. I think I have 6 of these that Buydig sent. I got a good one in the last shipment. Buydig is hellbent on keeping my money, they are sending me another one to try, that it’ll make it 4 shipments they made to me, all at no charge

2 Likes

I used a plastic pry tool from replacing an iPod battery kit. Dang, you’re right the two posts on the right are a pita to separate from other half, snapped one post off, I’ll be more careful on the other 5, LOL! Got it off though. Now the wait for the batteries on the slow boat from China

Yes, it’s tough for sure. I broke the tiny little stub off one of the two posts but it went back together pretty tight okay.

EDIT: Well, it got me thinking again. I just discovered you can slide the sliding door on the front right off if you work it good. The posts on the bottom are then revealed! Doh! It looks like it may still be tricky to free them but it may help.

Yup, remove the sliding door by moving from side to side, LOL! Can see both posts now! Got the 2nd off easier. Have to work one of the post off using a tiny screwdriver, pushing screwdriver in from the side while putting pressure on the halves to separate. Once you got one post off just wiggle gently to get the other side off.

1 Like

I received my batteries on Monday. Haven’t had a chance to switch them out yet, but I’m encouraged by your experience :slight_smile: Maybe tonight…

4 Likes

Replaced mine two nights ago, new one seems to be good. Took a charge and lasted more than 2 button presses anyway. Was your old battery swollen up pretty good? My new one is nice and flat but my old one was really swollen.

2 Likes

No, the old one wasn’t swollen.

1 Like

I’m done with minimotes!! Just received my 3rd dead one in a row from Amazon/BuyDig/Beach Camera.

I just ordered the Remote ZRC-90. It has more buttons too.

@destructure00, let us know long term how your minimote surgery works. I have 3 minimotes that Amazon/Buydig/Beach Camera didn’t want me to return. Maybe I’ll try replacing the batteries some day.

I’m good one week later on a Minimote that previously did not charge at all.

2 Likes

How is your charge doing on your battery replacement minimote?

I’m waiting for my batteries to ship from China as well. I’m hesitantly looking forward to doing this project. As I have no clue how to Solder, but I feel that I must " give it to the man" as buydig.com has let me keep their minimotes but have still given me a refund.

If you’re buying generation one minimotes ( they have numbers on the buttons), then they’re old. Way out of their expected lifecycle. If they’ve been sitting around in the back of a warehouse for three years it’s not surprising if the batteries have gone bad.

If you’re buying from an authorized seller (which buydig is not, nor, I think, is Beach Camera), then Aeon Labs should honor the warranty based on the date that you bought it.

Otherwise, you have to go back to the seller.

Just out of curiosity, Has anyone had battery problems with generation one minimotes from www.zwaveproducts.com ?

I think it’s despicable that beach cam/buydig still sell these…I think that they know these are bad. I’ve bought 3 in august of this year. they refunded me for all three, but didn’t ask me to return them

For what it’s worth, in the last 8 months I’ve bought 2 from Beach Camera via Newegg, and 2 from Buydig via eBay, all v1. All work well and hold their charges for 2-5 months based on usage. Never had one miss a press all these months. I love them.

1 Like

Eric, I have not had to recharge the one I replaced the battery in since the first charge. It gets about a dozen or more button presses a day (it’s used as a tester for various things) and it’s still going strong

Just as a refresher on my experience so far with these old ones from buydig … I have been lucky as only 1 had a charging issue. Above I said I had 5 others that were iffy but after a few charge cycles they now last several weeks to a month, sometimes longer (not as good as they could be of course). I will eventually replace the batteries in all of them. $11 for 5 batteries still makes them a better deal that buying the new version.

2 Likes