How To Send Sensor Triggers to Android and Have Android React

I can’t find the battery optimise options on my droid but as you say it seems to work.
I have them all mounted and they work great, be good to test them tonight, be the first time they might work in the dark :slight_smile:
Will check further for the optimise settings tomorrow.

Appreciate the advice

I am new to this type of tech modification. I have wanted to do something like this for some time now. I came across a 22" android touchscreen tablet that was used as a kiosk at a doctors office which has since been rooted. It is ideal size wise for a home command center. I was looking to have the home page display the family calendar, weather, and other news/info items for general family information. The down side of this unit is that it lacks a camera or battery. I am not to worried about an absence of a battery, but the lack of a camera for the purposes of waking the system/screen when someone triggers a proximity sensor/camera is something that I am trying to work around. I am rather techy in regards to computers, engines, and the like but I am not to familiar with the app/rooting scene. I for the most part, fell that I could get the apps and adjust the settings as needed to produce the desired result, I am just overwhelmed with the options of external camera/sensors and which one would work. The unit has 3 standard usb ports, an older mini-usb port, and a lan line port along with the power port. Not sure if plugging directly into a usb port is going to work or if I should use Bluetooth. I am pretty sure the unit has Bluetooth capability, but at the time of writing this post I have yet to determine this fact. Any insight to which proximity sensor or camera that would help produce the desired result along with any new apps would be much appreciated. The wife was not really on board with this project, but she seems receptive, so I would like to get this going so I don’t hear grief about this unfinished project. Another note, I would like a camera that would allow me to use the tablet while video chatting with family. The tablet will be secured on the kitchen wall and not move so I don’t foresee any issues with cables and the like getting in the way.

Sounds like a nice tablet.

I have no idea about cameras or anything like that. For me, this project is all about using the home automation system already in place.

So, first question… do you have SmartThings?
If so, is there a motion sensor in the kitchen that could be the trigger for turning the tablet’s screen on?

Then, if that’s all in place (or easily doable for you), you will need to gather a few apps, and check on the OS version of your tablet to verify it can run them…
Tasker (LINK)
SecureSettings (LINK)
SharpTools (LINK)

If you get that far, you should be good to go with already available instructions around here, but post up if you need steps or pointers.

1 Like

I do not have the apps yet. I have looked them up. I do not have a sensor as well. There is no sensor on the tablet. I figured there has to be an external sensor or camera that would be able to sense movement and turn the screen on. I did read in this post that there is this feature thru a few apps, I just need help choosing the correct sensor/camera for this application.

OK, but do you have SmartThings already?
If so, getting a motion sensor and the tools above may be less expensive than trying to figure out what it seems like you are talking about.

I just downloaded it. It’s says for phones, but I imagine it works for tablets as well?I

So, upon installing the app, I noticed that I also need to purchase the smart things hub, provided I installed the correct app. I am not trying to make the tablet I guess a command center for everything in the house. I guess i miss spoke. I do apologize, I am still learning what the correct term is for what I am trying to do. So let me see if I can say this better. I am looking to make the tablet a stand alone info center for calendar display and other widgets that keep the family informed like weather and news tickers. I pretty much have the tablet page set up through google launcher that displays the items how I want them on the screen. I am looking to have the units display turn on, our wake up with a signal from an external camera or proximity sensor when one of the family members walk close enough to the tablet. I plan on creating a smart home in a few years when I build a house, but for now I would like to start with a central info panel.

Thanks for the clarification.
Unfortunately, while you may (and many do) find assistance here with things that are not specifically SmartThings related, that IS in fact the purpose of this forum, and it (the SmartThings home automation system) is integral to the point of this thread.

Not saying it can’t be done without SmartThings. Many people here use a camera app (or other) to turn on their wall-mounted control panels’ screens. However, in all almost of those cases, the thing they are displaying on said panels is in fact something to do with their SmartThings-based home automation system.

Again, not that this functionality can’t be used outside of the SmartThings context, but if you want to specifically work on something that IS outside of this context, you may get more and better assistance from the community in an Android-specific forum.

Not saying you should go away. Please stay. Just trying to assist with your process of gathering the info you’re looking for.

Hi Josh, could you please place an example task for motion sensor trigger to wake android screen up

@sgnihttrams summarized it in the first post pretty well:

Note that there are other ways to wake your device up other than Secure Settings and depending on your specific device model and OS version:

1 Like

Hi Josh,

My issue is filling the ‘If’ field in Tasker. I don’t seem to know what to put in there.

Check out this article for commentary on conditional actions:

You’ll likely want to use something like the following if you have your Thing State plugin properly setup to monitor a motion sensor:

IF %st_attr_value ~ active

You can find documentation on the SmartThings attributes here:
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#motionsensor

Hi Josh,

This isn’t my step by step set up;

In Sharp Tools, I choose my motion sensors as “Thing” and subscribe to motion.

In Tasker, I created new profile - event - plugin - Sharp Tools - thing state - conf - optional filters - thing name: sensor - apply - back - new task - plugin - secure settings - config - wake device - wake type: screen and keyboard on, duration 1 second - save - if field : %st_attr_value ~ active - back.

This is what I did and still no luck. I’m trying to wake my android phone screen when motion is detected by my sensors. I have the ST app, Tasker, Sharp Tools and Secure Settings app on my phone. For this to work, does my phone have to be rooted?

Did I get the set up right?

Thanks

Laurence

Sorry I meant this is my step by step set up

Instead of choosing thing state I think it’s
Plugin - sharptools - mode change
Then fill in the IF and type the name of your motion sensor.

Thing State is right when you want to react to attribute changed on your things. Mode change reacts to Location mode changes.

What is the motion sensor named in SmartThings? I noticed ‘sensor’ was used in the Thing State filter.

Edit:
You can also test the SharpTools side of things by using an Alert > Notify or Alert > Flash action to show a message on the screen when the motion is detected.

Once that’s setup, you’ll have to play a bit with the action to turn on the screen as I’ve seen different results with different devices and OS versions.

I have too motion sensors, first is Livng room sensor and the other Hallway sensor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping out. I’ll give it a try now

Josh,

I tried the Alert>Notify option and when I test it, it does send notification but when motion is detected, it doesn’t send any notification. Also when I pull down my notification I see Tasker and it says no active profile.

What happens when you try the SharpTools Settings > Manage Push Events > Send Test Message option?

Assuming the test push message works, can you send me a list of your Things using the SharpTools Settings > Support > Send Things option? And can you also send an export of your Tasker profile?

Edit: that’s fine that Tasker is showing no profiles active. Since we are using event profiles they are only active for the brief moments that the profile is triggered.