How To Reverse Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor

For various reasons, I need to reverse the open/close detection with a Z-Wave door/window sensor (actually a Monoprice tilt sensor, but it seems to work fine under that device type). I thought this would be trivial with a custom device type, but I do not understand where to change it.

Most of the templates have code dates of 2015 or later, but the Z-Wave door sensor template appears to be from 2013, and it gives me an error even if I try to save it without any changes at all. I added a metadata definition, and then I could save it, but the open/close status is completely missing from the UI. Is it possible the template displayed by ST isn’t actually the code ST is using on an unmodified Z-Wave door sensor? I’m not really sure what is going on.

I did just this for an ecolink contact sensor device handler because I wanted to handle using an external reed switch whether it was normally open or normally closed, and to switch between the two in the device preferences.

I’m mobile right now, but I’ll share it with you when I get home to see how I did this. I haven’t yet adapted my git repo to the required spec for IDE integration, so I have to do this the janky way for now.

(Nifty bit is that the handler is also configurable to be either a contact sensor or a doorbell sensor. I know that the OP wasn’t asking about that, but it’s an added bonus. I’ve had the handler running in my setup for months now in both configurations. )

I want t buy the Nexia Doorbell sensor, do you think your device handler will work with it? I have searched for a device handler specifically for it but, I am unable to find one.

Could you please share your handler with me also?

Thanks for the help

I’m curious about this unit also.

One downside is that while it attaches to an AC-powered doorbell transformer, it cannot power itself from it. It still has to use it’s own batteries (AA, ugh) to power it.

And it only supports monitoring ONE wired doorbell. Not two, as most wired doorbells support.

Two steps forward, one step back…

Kevin,
I’m looking to do exactly this with the ecolink sensors. Would you mind sharing the solution or device handler that you used?
Thanks!