How to pair Ikea Fyrtur blinds?

Hello,

New to SmartThings and home automation. Just sharing my experience with Ikea Fyrtur if this can help others.

While waiting to receive my SmartThings hub V3, I followed the instructions given by Ikea to have the 2 blinds working and paired with the Ikea small remotes but did not connect them to a Tradfri hub as I knew I wanted to connected them to the SmartThings hub instead.

Once I got the SmartThings hub V3 set up, I just follow the instructions to add the Ikea blinds as new device since since it is now stock in the new SmartThings app (not sure about the classic app which I don’t use at this time). Everything went smoothly.

Some observations:
-I had to reset the upper and lower limit of the blinds which I believe is because the SmartThings instructions made me reset the Ikea blinds in order to pair them with the SmartThings hub so that information was lost.
-Both small Ikea remotes do not work anymore. I think this is normal. This is fine as I use the SmartThings button to operate the blinds (1 click= open all blinds / double click= close all blinds / long press= open 1 blind and close the other), It may be possible to pair them again? Not sure.
-I no longer needed the Ikea wireless signal repeater
-My SmartThings hub V3 is in the basement and I have no problem connecting to the Ikea blinds which are on the 2nd floor.
-Automation is possible inside the new Smarthings app (i.e. close both blinds at 9:00pm)
-Using the buttons on the Ikea blinds themselves to move up or the down the blinds report accordingly in the app.
-There seem to be an error in the smart things app as the blinds show 100% shade when open and 0% shade when close unless it is just a bug on my side only or with the my blinds only.
-Somes were mentionning battery status was missing, I guess it has been added as I can see it.

1 Like

You may need the signal repeater - pair it with ST and it should be used by the Mesh and improve the signal strength for all your Zigbee devices.

You can pair the Ikea remotes with ST, and use them to control the blinds - there’s a community ST app for the Ikea remotes - search this forum - and Smartthings also support it now officially as well (open/close remote)

Think of it like a valve for light - 100% means all the light is coming through and blinds are up, 0% means no light and blinds are all the way down. This is common practise amongst all suppliers of this type of device.

3 Likes

Since I added the blind to SmartThings, they are unavailable from Apple HomeKit and the IKEA remote is not working

From what I understand this is normal as it’s disconnect the blind from IKEA hub and connect it straight with SmartThings (I just unplugged the IKEA hub and it’s still work)

I added the remote to SmartThings too but it’s only offer two button on the app, how can I setup to roll down and up (and not close and open ?)

You can get the buttons to work…

Step one… pair the blinds with the new smartthings app… Add new device… select IKEA and follow the instructions for blinds… once that is done… Set the bottom limit for the blinds… there is no way to set an upper limit…

Step two… pair the button with the new smartthings app… Add new device… select IKEA and follow the instructions for button… you need to be close to the USB repeater thing and you press the pairing button on the inside of the remote quickly 4 times. It will flash red and Smartthings will see it… Then you program the button to control the blinds…

Took me about 45 minutes of trial and error to get it work…

2 Likes

These look great but it’s unfortunate that they don’t come in wider sizes

I am using [RELEASE] IKEA FYRTUR Window blinds as a custom datahandler on my 2 Fyrtur’s I just got. When I paired, it automatically selected that DH (at the bottom of the dropdown list, below the Z’s, since it’s custom). On the new smart things app though, it seems not everything is working (only a command section and a % section to command in that way).

I also can’t figure out how to set the minimum % (since the blinds are longer than my windows). Right now when I click “close” it expands the entire roller, incorrectly.

I would be interested in trying the stock DH by Samsung/SmartThings, but I can’t find any other one in the dropdown, what should I pick in the IDE?

“Zigbee window shade battery” is the stock DTH. Mine work great with it. Max extension is set on the shades themselves. Its outlined in the manual. IIRC you press both buttons at the same time when its in the position you want.

oh man, I was sitting here trying to set it somehow, LOL. Thanks. I will read the ikea manual for once!

@Olds442 Thank you for figuring this out. I followed your instructions and got the remote added on the smartthings app. I tried to program the button, but does not work. The remote shows as ‘standby’ in the smartthing app. I programmed the up and down buttons but the remote will not do anything when i press it. Is there any more steps?

No, that was all it took for me. Yes the buttons always have the status of “Standby”
When they are pressed they “wake up” and trigger Smartthings to do the needed action.

I use them to trigger individual items, several items and scenes all work fine.

Weird, when i touch the standby it does nothing

You can’t control the remote from the app, so yes, when you hit standby in the app, it will do nothing.

I can’t get this to work for me. Any tips to setting max extension?

Never mind, figured it out. It was a double tap on the bottom button the blind. I thought it was a hold for both buttons like pairing mode. Got me all screwed up.

Did you get the remote to work after you had the blinds paired to smarthings app? I just can’t get both to work. For me either the blinds either works with the remote or the app, once I pair the blinds with the app the remote stops working

You have to pair the remote to the smartthings hub and then set it up in the app.

Yes. Pair the blind with your hub. Then pair the remote. Once both are paired, set the automation for the remote. The remote won’t work exactly like IKEA says.

Will give it a try and report back.

Hey @ccm2114 I recently got my Ikea blinds and I was able to connect the blinds no problem and they work perfectly and I was able to get the remote in the Smartthings app as well but I can’t get them to do anything when buttons are pressed even after I set the automations in the app to open and close the blinds. Any advice? What am I missing?

I got nothing. In fact, either the batteries suck or the remote sucks because mine keep unpairing and need new batteries. I stopped using them.