How to know the communication frequency of a SmartThings Hub V2

How to know the communication frequency of a SmartThings Hub V2

In what respect are you asking.
Zigbee?
Z-Wave US?
Z-Wave UK/EU?
Google is your friend…

2 Likes

There are multiple frequencies because each hub includes radios for multiple protocols.

Zigbee is always the same, 2.4 GHz.

Z Wave will vary depending on the region for which the device was manufactured. You should be able to tell from the model number. If you take a picture of the underside of the hub or tell us the model number we should be able to tell you the Z wave frequency.

1 Like

Ok, let me give more details.

I bought a SmartThing starter kit from the US which includes the hub and some sensors which worked very fine in my country.
Now I am trying to buy Z-wave switch modules and I am confused if I need to buy the 868.4Mhz for the 908.4 Mhz!!

Thanks,

868.4Mhz is UK/EU.
908.4 Mhz is US.
Where are you based as a matter of interest?

I am based in Lebanon where the frequency is 868.4 but since I got the hub from the US (which supposed to be using 908.4) and worked fine in my country then this created a confusion on what frequency my hub is using.

Ah I see.
If you have a US hub then it will only work with US frequency Z-Wave devices. (It also may be illegal but you will need to check that. It is illegal to use that zwave frequency in the UK).
The zigbee frequency is the same for both hubs so that will not be an issue.

2 Likes

Thanks bobbles, appreciate it.

Lebanon is supposed to use the same frequency as Europe, 868.4.

It’s not a question of whether the equipment will function. As @bobbles mentioned, it may be illegal to use a frequency assigned to another region because it may overlap with local frequencies for either mobile phone service or for emergency communication service for first responders like police or ambulances.

So the first thing you should do is check to see if it is legal to operate equipment on the US frequency in your area.

The other consideration is electrical systems. The US is unusual in using 120 V alternating current. So the point is that light switches, plug in pocket sockets, in wall micros, etc. that are on the US frequency Will typically not be designed to work on a 230 V system. That makes it very tricky to find appropriate devices.

I know you already have a US hub, but before you invest too much further you might take a look at the various devices available and see whether you would be better off in the long run getting a UK frequency hub instead.

Any device you choose must match the hub’s frequency exactly, and the hub’s frequency cannot be changed after the time of manufacture, in part because of the legality issue.

1 Like

From Voltage point of view, this is solved because the point adapter which is part of the package takes voltage from 100V to 240V so I am fine with that.
form legal point of view, there is no legal restriction but I will double check that to be on safe side.

Now from the model number which I shared, can you please confirm if it is using the 908 frequency?

thanks,

Voltage is solved for the hub, but the point is in the future when you want to select devices like light switches, the voltage will matter.

1 Like

absolutely where I will buy the devices which function at 240V which will be the same as the hub and I can find plenty of such devices.

Many thanks guys for your support, but I still need your confirmation on the frequency of the hub I have where its model is STH-ETH-200. Can you please help?

Thanks,

Frequency allocation by country/region is taken quite seriously by the governing bodies. I urge you to understand your country’s rules/regulations and laws. Penalties can be quite severe…

I am not sure the OP is getting all of the points everyone is trying to make.

#1 - If it is a US model hub, it will operate on the 908.4 MHz frequency

#2 - If it is a US model hub, the frequency it operates on is possibly not legal and/or not recommended for use in other countries. You would need to check with your local regulatory body to understand what is assigned the 908.4 MHz chunk in your country. Keep in mind that pretty much any hub will work in any country until you bump up against interference from what ever else is assigned usage of that spectrum.

#3 - Most 230V compatible devices you find will be for 868.4 MHz, not for 908.4 MHz. That is the point others are trying to make. If you happen to find 908.4 MHz compatible devices (switches, outlets, etc), they probably won’t handle 230V without giving up the magic smoke.

Now with that stated…if you still want to know based on what you posted, you have a US hub.

4 Likes

Many thanks for all who clarified the situation for me. Thanks,

1 Like