How to know Local App vs. Cloud App in Hub 2.0?

Smartapps that are running in the cloud will operate pretty much the same way they did on the first version Hub. They will run in the cloud architecture and send event command down to the Hub. We have a limiter in place so that a smartapp cannot execute more than X times per second/minute (I forget the number offhand) and drag the entire network down.

First version Hubs can still use a smartapp like smart lights, and it will generally appear the same - except won’t work when the internet goes down (or we have cloud issues).

thanks for information. Other critical local process should be presence sensors (mobile phone and stand alone sensors). My alarm setup through ST went off even though we just entered our house and using version 2 hub. False alarms are very irritating. Course it took me a few minutes to remember how to do on new app interface.

The following applies only to local processing, since that’s what this thread is about. The situation where your power is on, but your connection to the SmartThings cloud is down. Other internet may be up or down.

Presence detection based on mobile phones will not work if the Internet is down. Or even if acess to the SmartThings cloud is down. It’s a cloud service.

I don’t know whether presence detection based on the zigbee arrival sensor will work or not.

Also, the smartthings mobile app on your phone or tablet will not be able to communicate with your hub if the hub is not connected to the smartthings cloud. That’s really important to understand. It means if your plan B for when phone mobile presence is not detected is to open the mobile app, you’ve got a problem.

If you are using smartthings for sirens or other security notifications, you need to plan ahead and have set up a Minimote to change modes.

Also, at the present time the smart home monitor will not run locally. So if the Internet goes out, or even just connection to the smartthings cloud, you will lose whatever you had running under smart home monitor, and you will also lose the ability to change the arm/disarm status. Which means when the power/Internet does come back on, you’ll be in whatever arm status you were in when it went off. Again, you’ll need to plan ahead.

I personally don’t use smartthings for security purposes. I pay a monthly fee to a different system for that. One that operates exactly the same way whether the power is on or off, or the Internet is up or down. But other people just can’t stand the thought of paying a monthly fee. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to security systems.

ok thanks for the detailed info. I didn’t think it through completely but my scenario really is setting off alarm because mobile phones aren’t detected while internet and ST is up. I guess I haven’t had too many blackouts yet (in which case, alarms won’t go off anyway) but saving in the wrong mode is a very good point and the alarms would go back when power returns. The minimote is a very helpful option then
Smartthings is toting itself as a potential security solution although I realize it’s a very low-cost solution with distinct weaknesses. I personally don’t like monthly cost and I already put in enough sensors so I would have to put redundant sensors for another probably proprietary system. Plus I live in a low crime area (although no area is completely safe) I installed simplisafe for my mother and it works fine, is relatively low-cost, and provides monitoring. But it is proprietary and the sensors are big and clunky and very proprietary.
Thanks for feedback.

1 Like

Isn’t Hue Bulbs and bridge officially in the supported list?
Why doesn’t it run locally then?

It’s still in Beta. “SmartThings Labs.”

I believe there’s still a cloud component to the ST integration.

I am using the smart lighting app with 2 local devices and it still does not load locally. Is there anything else I can check? In one instance it’s a Aeon Multi controlling a GE Link Bulb. Another has a Smartthings open/close controlling a GE switch. All of these devices show up on the LocalDevice List. I’d like to figure this out because the latency on this is sometimes all over the place.

After I setup V2 last week, I went to the https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list and mine was blank. I had some time today to mess around. I deleted 1 of my light switches and reinstalled it, and it showed up in the local running list. So I uninstalled and reinstalled all my light switches and they now all show as running local.

LocalInstalledSmartApp List
Installed Smart App Installed Smart App ID
Office Lights On/Off (Home) 5d9a121e-a19d-447e-9707-79afb76e2be0
Master Bedroom Light On (Home) 783f7798-ca2d-46d9-b3f6-7fdf2def3a5e
Outside Lights On/Off (Home) 7ad666f8-b119-42a0-b2a9-d0f6d1cd7481
Living Room Light Off (Home) 83fed8e0-1c4b-4de5-bebc-995b3e902c78
Front Bedroom Light Off (Home) b72cf3dd-1234-40a1-a2de-0f2968f3b54f
Living Room Light On (Home) c1ce95fd-f611-41be-862d-2dddeec13918
Front Bedroom Light On (Home) c6d58ee8-284c-4bbb-ace0-5e194be34870
Master Bedroom Light Off (Home) d285e4d5-e1b6-4db1-bf02-082947de43b1

Nice thank you things are shaping up

None of my lighting automations are local still despite many devices:

Here is an example of one that does not work. I tried it without the sunrise and sunset as well:

Maybe you can’t cross ZigBee and zwave devices in the same app and have it run locally?

Tested this morning, z-wave switch with zigbee motion.

1 Like

Does anyone know if all of the devices in all of the smart lighting instances need to be “local” for any of them to run locally? Some of mine use Cree bulbs which don’t show up as local.

I see your post above with GE link V2. Is that a custom device type? If so then it won’t be able to run locally.

that is from the list of locally installed devices.
Per support:

“A neat trick, if you’re logged in to the IDE, you can open this link: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list
and you’ll see all of your devices that are local.”

3 Likes

I think for an instance of SmartLighting to show be local, all of the devices it controls must be local

I deleted all of my smart lighting automations and made a single one where a Smartsense Open/Close turns on a (GE) zwave switch. Still does not show up in the locally installed app list. There must be something else going on.

My configuration has 13 devices controlled by 11 different “Routines” and only 4 Smartthings Apps. Do “Routines” run locally or only a few Smart Apps?

Right now ONLY the Smart Light app runs locally, and then ONLY if all the devices that are connected to it are basic devices with standard device types.

Thanks. My Hub v2 is still in the box and may stay there until the “cost” of conversion is worth it. Up to now my system is stable and meets my needs. I’m not going to mess that up until I can get some benefit.

I converted cause I wanted the local processing for my switches rules. When I did it I didn’t consider it painful exactly… but long definitely. It’s the sorta stuff that I actually kinda enjoy as long as I don’t have an time limits set on me. So I took a couple of days off from work and did it over those days. Took the opportunity to sorta reset my naming scheme and room assignments and such. Also was great to just blow out the smartapps and start from scratch.