How to disable sound alarm from smoke sensor?

Anybody knows is if possible to disable sound alarm from smoke sensor in ST?

My ideia is it to use the smoke sensor to turn on air purifier when detect smoke, but I don’t want to turn on the sound alarm when this happen.

Brand and model of the smoke sensor? Some offer this feature, some do not. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi, @JDRoberts!

I talking about the Aqara smoke sensor, if this do not have this function, do you know which brand have this one?

I do not believe any smoke sensor allows the alarm to be disabled.

There are a few, they have different purposes. Some are battery devices intended to be chained to A mains powered device that has the siren. (Sirens can use a lot of battery power.) others are intended for use in homes with people who have cognitive challenges that might cause sirens to create panic. Sometimes it’s just an option. Choice is good.

Depending where you live, they can’t always be labeled a smoke sensor, they may have to be labeled an “air quality“ sensor. Just as an example, most TVOC Air Quality Monitors Will detect smoke, but do not themselves have sirens.

Here’s one which is a silent smoke sensor, but it only sold in Europe. I forgot to ask the original poster, but we do need to know what country the device will be located in as it does affect the available candidates

At our house, we have found the aqara TVOC sensor to be quite effective at detecting wildfire smoke, although it’s not as good at detecting volatile oils as some other brands. It’s available in many regions. Although the product description says, and a car hub is required, it uses Zigbee and can be used directly with a SmartThings/aeotec hub instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Pollution-Temperature-Humidity-High-Contrast/dp/B094R8RBWT/

As always, I wouldn’t run anything on SmartThings that you were depending on for health or safety, but it’s a reasonable convenience setup so that the air purifier can turn on automatically before you have to do anything. With the understanding that if it fails to recognize the situation, then you would go back to your other methods for turning on air purifier. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

@JDRoberts this is that I looking for, I am located in Brazil, but almost of my devices is from China, the TVOC from Aqara is not avaliable in China, but I found a Tuya device that maybe works to turn on the exhaustor when I cooking.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPA2yYE

The challenge now is to know if have edge driver to get the air quality from this device.

It should be, it’s available in Hong Kong from an authorized Aqara dealer:

As far as Tuya devices, they are always tricky. And will definitely require a custom edge driver. See the community FAQ:

FAQ: Using Tuya Zigbee Devices Directly With a SmartThings/Aeotec Hub (2024)

1 Like

Are you sure that this will allow you to silence the siren? Asking you as I have been on the lookout for a long time and have still not found a device (Zigbee) with these characteristics.