How to create lighting groups in ActionTiles with a responsive virtual switch

Hey everyone! A known issue with Smartthings and ActionTiles is the ability to create lighting groups in ActionTiles.

I created a video and step by step guide on my Youtube Channel and website for everyone who is looking to accomplish this. The links will be down below. You will learn how to create lighting groups in action tiles and control them with a responsive switch by creating a virtual switch. ActionTiles is a great program to use alongside your smart things set up but not being able to create and use lighting groups in action tiles was a real bummer until now! Learn how to create custom lighting groups in ActionTiles with a responsive virtual switch. Also, learn how to create virtual switches, scenes, lighting groups, automations, and smart apps in Samsung Smartthings!
Video: https://youtu.be/rmsmFY-0iZk
Website: https://urtechtherapy.com/how-tos/how-to-create-lighting-groups-in-actiontiles-with-a-responsive-virtual-switch/

1 Like

Why didn’t you use the mirror function? That way you don’t have to create one automation for on and a different automation for off.

Have you tried that? for some reason when I initially attempted it the mirror function wasn’t working properly. But when I created both, I had no issues.

Yes, people have been using it for several years. :sunglasses:

can you show screen shots of your settings and of it working you have of your virtual switch that accomplishes the same thing that I have created

1 Like

Yes, that is appropriate for controlling one light with another. In the case of my article, this won’t work because I also have an “Automation” attached to the same lights. When you attempt to use voice control, with doing it how you have it set, it will turn the lights off and then back on. You would have to say the voice command again to execute it correctly. If you do it the way I have it set up, everything works on the first try as it should

Looks like Actiontiles now supports scenes… might negate the need to set this up with the virtual switch…

basically you authorise Smartthings via ActionTiles… does anyone have any documentation on this…

Yes, action tiles now supports scenes which is fantastic! For most people i feel like the scenes will do just fine but there are a few advantages of using the virtual switch.
• I have a panel that doesn’t have all of my lights on the main panel so having the virtual switch instead of the scene allows me to have a visual indication that all of those lights that the virtual switch controls are either on or off.
• You can control the dim level of all of the lights connected to the virtual switch.
• You can control colors of all of the lights connected to the virtual switch as long as you follow the same steps and just select simulated rgbw instead of virtual switch in the very beginning.
• You can have one switch to turn the connected lights on/off as opposed to one scene for on and one scene for off.