How to connect aeon labs power meter

yeh seems like it, do you have it plugged into the AC or just a big USB battery?

It also seems like the reports are different when running on the 4 AA batteries also. I think I only ever get the current wattage and not KWH usage. So that counter does not work if it isn’t on constant power I think…

I’m plugged into AC. I put an outlet close by to run the HEM and a Samsung HD Pro camera. The panel is in my garage, so it was super easy to do that.

Correct. It’s by design to preserve batteries if I remember right. There’s another tech spec for the HEM out there somewhere where that info can be found.

ahh interesting. My panel is in my lounge hidden behind a painting, Hmm I might try to run it off a USB battery to see how it fairs.
The KWH is probably the most useful measurement after all.
I suppose I could have an electrician fit a socket in the cabinet but that sounds like a lot of effort right now!

That’s true if you’re comparing your measurements with the power company, but that could also be dependent upon your use case though. I’ve been tracking watts to really understand what I should be looking for in a home generator to support a “normal” day of power usage.

I can’t recommend doing this yourself, so for sure use a pro. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, and it may not be too expensive.

I noticed when running in battery mode the reports come in as physicalgraph.zwave.commands.sensormultilevelv1.SensorMultilevelReport. I have modified my device type to also process these as they were getting missed from processing otherwise and the display was only updating when ‘refresh’ was pressed.

I just moved your processing out to a different function and called it from within both handlers.

EDIT: Event to be processed:
SensorMultilevelReport(precision: 3, scale: 0, scaledSensorValue: 255.420, sensorType: 4, sensorValue: [0, 3, 229, 188], size: 4)

1 Like

Good catch on that. I can’t remember who’s device type I copied my code from (been too long), but I wonder if that’s been updated, as well as for the HEM v2 device. Since I’ve not needed to run on batteries I haven’t payed attention to how the HEM would work running like that. Glad you found that and were able to make the changes.

John, I tried to install this app today and got the following error.

e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toByteArray() on null object @ line 496
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting secondsBattery to 3600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting secondsKwh to 600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting secondsWatts to 600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting wattsPercent to 10 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting wattsChanged to 50 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Setting reportType to 1 because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug DO NOT display all events in the Recently tab and the device’s event log
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Refreshed Aeon Home Energy Meter
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Battery display DISABLED…
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug Aeon Home Energy Meter configuring…
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:54:29 PM: debug updated (kWhCost: null, wattsLimit: null, reportType: null, wattsChanged: null, wattsPercent: null, secondsWatts: null, secondsKwh: null, secondsBattery: null, decimalPositions: null)
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toByteArray() on null object @ line 496
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting secondsBattery to 3600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting secondsKwh to 600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting secondsWatts to 600 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting wattsPercent to 10 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting wattsChanged to 50 (device default) because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Setting reportType to 1 because an invalid value was provided.
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug DO NOT display all events in the Recently tab and the device’s event log
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Refreshed Aeon Home Energy Meter
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Battery display DISABLED…
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug Aeon Home Energy Meter configuring…
e3f09bc7-e6ba-40f3-934b-6b31519c5bea 10:53:58 PM: debug updated (kWhCost: null, wattsLimit: null, reportType: null, wattsChanged: null, wattsPercent: null, secondsWatts: null, secondsKwh: null, secondsBattery: null, decimalPositions: null)

I’m a novice at this and can’t figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi @mike_smasal, I’m assuming you’re using the latest version found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor-gen1.src/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor-gen1.groovy

If so, after changing your device to use this DTH, please go into the device’s Preferences (the little gear in the upper right hand corner) in the mobile app, make any changes you want, and tap on Done - even if you made no changes.

Let me know if you’re still seeing these errors.

Also, this discussion thread is a common one I keep an eye on:

Thank you,

I must not have had the latest version.

Mike

Just installed my V.1, today seems good, I have firmware 3.60. I used the DH that Aoen sent me. It seems okay. I did try and update it with the above. I didnt see any changes. I am a noobie, do I have to remove it and repair it once this is done. I have it plugged in I dont have batteries in it. However it only updates every 5 minutes.
Thanks any help would be appreciated.

You don’t have to remove/repair it. Just install the code, and change the device to use it. Make sure you go into preferences and change your reporting interval, and anything else you want. That’s done via the mobile app for the device. Tap on done and things will start working if you have everything installed correctly. I suggest you also update the firmware if you haven’t. See posts above on where to find the current release.

Thanks for the response. Yea was doing some things wrong. I havent installed it yet but confident from every ones help I will be able to now. So the 3.60 firmware it has I need to change? From all my readings it looks like the firmware 3.61 is the best and goes as high as 3.64, Do you recommend 3.61? Do i need to change anything else? I only ask cause something about 3.64 having to change some numbers?
Is it easier to find it on Aoen’s website? I am curious is there any way to get a scheduled or auto reset. This would make it so could get a daily allowance, once over it could use existing smart app “Energy Management - Energy Saver” to turn off switches if over the allowance.
Thanks for your time

For DIY’ers brave enough to install the sensors yourself - I just did with the new Gen5 plug-in model HEM and it worked first-time. DIY on electric service panels is not legal in many areas; consult your local codes. If you have any doubts or concerns, hire a licensed, qualified electrician to install the HEM for you.

1. Before you begin, read all of the directions CAREFULLY! You’ll save yourself a lot of headaches if you do. Oh, did I mention? READ THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE YOU START! :wink:
  2. The L2 lead (the second one I installed) was a little sung going through the 1/2" (I.D.) knockout. I had to push the locking ring with a screwdriver to force it through. a 3/4" (I.D.) knockout clamp would have made it easier, but I had already opened the 1/2"-only hole in the panel box. If you must force anything, be careful not to damage the sensor leads. The retainer ring went through with just a little “encouragement.” The first wire went through easily. I’d suggest using the 3/4" clamp if you can. The directions don’t mention that.
  3. Instructions mention “K->L” direction indicators on the sensors. Several comments (and the directions!) say that it’s important to have them pointing the correct way. The K->L indicators are in very fine print on the top of the sensor. I had to use a bright light to see them. In the dark confines of the basement at the service panel I couldn’t see them at all, so I drew an arrow on each sensor with a marker. That helped.
  4. L1 and L2 are the large wires going into the main disconnect. (US setup) “Standard” colors are Black and Red for L1/L2, and White for Neutral, but many panels, mine included, just have two solid-black wires for L1/L2 and one black with a white stripe for Neutral. IF YOU’RE NOT CERTAIN, HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO-IT-YOURSELF! THE WIRES WHERE YOU INSTALL THE SENSORS ARE ALWAYS LIVE AND CANNOT BE TURNED OFF EXCEPT BY YOUR UTILITY SUPPLIER. The sensors just snap around the wires, but you must be very careful.
  5. Directions identify 'L1" and “L2” and the direction the arrows “point” is different for each side. (US setup). It indicates that “L1” should point INTO the main breaker, “L2” should point OUT OF the main breaker, and the HEM box should plug into an outlet on the 'L1" side. (That was the trickiest part for me, finding an outlet on the correct L1 side. I would guess that one cause for negative readings might be plugging the HEM into the L2 side, in effect making the arrows point in the wrong direction.)
  6. Find the right driver! Unfortunately most of the “AEON LABS” drivers are at the top of my SmartThings hub list, so I chose the “Aeon Home Energy Monitor.” That worked, but only gave me a kWH reading. I looked again, and found the “Aeon HEM Gen5” driver was all the way at the bottom of the list. The list is in alphabetical order - but only for the “factory” drivers. The ones you import yourself are at the bottom of your list. SCROLL DOWN! :slight_smile:
  7. Aeontec’s directions to import the Gen5 driver into your SmartThings Hub from github are excellent, and you’ll succeed on your first try - IF YOU READ AND FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS!

My A/C is on today, and I’m watching the energy usage. I put in the kWH price in our area and now I think I want to cry.

Good luck, be safe, and hire an electrician unless you’re absolutely certain you can DIY safely and your local codes allow you to DIY.

Does anyone think it’s doable (or is it a bad idea) to install a USB adapter inside my breaker box? It seems without constant power to my energy meter this device isn’t going to do what I intended but there is no outlets near my breaker box which is outside and exposed to the elements. Perhaps something like the image below could be wired in behind a standard breaker?

https://goo.gl/images/521CSU