How do you set up Tasker to wake your tablet when you walk up to it

This may have to do with your device turning off WiFi when the screen turns off.

Grabbed myself a wall mount for my kindle fire from another thread on here, the followed the steps to get the motion detection turn on workingā€¦ flawless. Iā€™m happy and my wife even digs it!

Awesome! I have mines up and running for a couple days now, the wife loves it too.

thanks for the info setting this up. Used the supplied instructions and I think it all works so far.

I am using the dolphin browser. When motion is detected it does not seem to open smoothly seems jittery and have a slight screen flash. I am also using a fire tablet.

I have not spent enough time with it yet. But will the screen turn it self off after a set amount of time of in activity?

Another question. What do you do about it not detecting motion when you walk up when no lights are on and motion detector canā€™t see you? Is there a way on it to setup another action via screen tap? Or something.

Iā€™m using both ā€˜Smart Screen Onā€™ and ā€˜Gravity Screenā€™ to help with this kind of thing. I only set it up once so far. So, Iā€™m no guru on either, but if you have any general questions, I can try to at least point you in the right direction if nothing else.

Would either of these help if the tablet is mounted on a wall and in that fire tablet 3D printed case from the forum? Wouldnā€™t be that bad if the power button wasnā€™t so hard to get to.

Yes. It shouldnā€™t matter where or how the tablet is mounted, because itā€™s paying attention to proximity (i think im doing this one with Smart Screen On) and vibration (i think this is what im using Gravity Screen for).

@sgnihttrams - what device are you using?

Just getting started and installed Tasker, Motion Detector, AutoStart and followed the instructions. Think Iā€™ve got it working (although it does look a little finicky). My issue is with my Kindle Fire, it wakes to the lock screen requiring a swipe up to actually see anything. Which means you canā€™t walk up and take a quick peek at SmartTiles. Assuming I can root it but been trying to avoid going there if I can.

I donā€™t use the ā€˜Motion Detectorā€™ app in my setup. I wanted a solution that doesnā€™t require having the Androidā€™s own camera active all the time. So, I went with an external motion detector instead, and feed that trigger event to the Android via the SmartThings-to-SharpTools-to-Android routeā€¦hereā€¦

As for the lock screen issue on the Fire tablet, Iā€™m not sure. Unfortunately, even though I have one, and even though I also bought one of the mounts from the Fire 3D printed mounts thread, I havenā€™t actually started playing with it yet.

One thing I know is that I will be rooting it anyway. So, I assume that will make it possible to implement whatever ā€˜fixā€™ there is out there for the screen lock issue (e.g. put on a different ROM or disable some system setting or whatever it takes).

Also, in order to get Google Play (which is necessary to add apps only found there) on it, I think it requires root anyway.

What is the specific reason you donā€™t want to root it?

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ll look into that if this camera issue continues to give me weird results. I also donā€™t like this approach for the tablet Iā€™ll have in one hallway as it likely wonā€™t always be on USB power and the camera is going to likely drain it quickly where sitting idle waiting for an event should be less. Your approach looks interesting in that case.

Although technically inclined and former dabbling - developer (AGES ago), I have realized that fiddling with things gives me a headache. I rooted many devices or flashed non-OEM firmware on routers for years and bricked a few devices, spent nights pulling my hair out getting things back to normal or to behave. Itā€™s more the thought of having to deal with that again.

Iā€™ve signed up for a whole suite of potential headches getting a ST setup working and running like I want though haha.

I did do more research last night and some of the tools / methods out there look pretty self explanatory and appear to have good results. Ordered another Fire for 39 last night so I have one at our main entry to the house and then one up near our bedrooms so, I figure Iā€™ll be rooting shortly.

1 Like

If you are using Android have a look at the app
Fully Kiosk Browser. It has motion detection and full screen

I downloaded on my Kindle Fire 5th gen tonight and it looks decent, however I canā€™t ā€˜swipe from the bottomā€™ to get the URL bar to workā€¦ guessing because of something on the kindle vs. a standard androidā€¦

I also loaded it on my Fireā€¦have that stupid ad screen, but I swipe and I am on my tiles pageā€¦I like that!

Danā€“

Is your tablet wall mounted? can you tell me where did you buy the mount and what brand/model is the tablet?

Just wanted to add something that I found, I found a kiosk browser that does all of this with a couple of easy settings, The app is called ā€œfully kiosk browserā€. Had some features perfect for what most people on here are looking for.

Features that mattered to me:

• Autoloads page
  • Auto authenticates if you provide the credentials
  • Auto loads app on reboot
  • Auto wakes screen on motion detection through the camera

Just started using it but dont see any problems as of yet, good luck everyone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ozerov.fully

I tried using the authentication and it didnā€™t work for me, but everything else works great. I have this loaded up on an old galaxy note 3 in my coffee corner. When I walk up it wakes up and works great.

For me it worked but then the next day I had to login again, then I tried the setting that auto reloads that page after X amount of seconds, I set it to 3600 seconds, think that is within the timeout margin. I havenā€™t had to login since then.

I have mine set to refresh at 15 minutes (900) seconds. I have never had an issues with that. You can also have it refresh when it loads.

I canā€™t tell you the last time I had to log in.

Also there is a lot of discussion on this topic in several other topics.
This one has a lot of info about smarttiles and the many ways people have customized it and use it. Including things related to what your doing.