How do you set up Tasker to wake your tablet when you walk up to it

Is that setting in fully kiosk? I’m using tasker, motion detector, and auto start. I have the login problem. I’d love to have it refresh the page.

Yes everything is done from the fully kiosk browser, I am not using tasker or anything. Works very reliable and haven’t had to manually re login since it auto refreshes

Thanks. I wonder how they got it to auto-refresh. In any case, that wouldn’t be a bad built in feature for smart tiles. . . .

I’ve setup IP Webcam Pro on 4 devices now. It shows up as a simple plugin for tasker. It wakes the screen just like Motion Detector. I’ve had it running for a couple days now.

It has the added benefit of serving as a web cam. Using the Generic Camera smart app, I can now take pictures from any of my smarttiles displays. You can also see the video and audio feeds if you want using something like TiinyCam Pro. The screen does not have to be on to take a picture or stream video.

1 Like

With Black Friday coming up, I am interested in buying a tablet to setup to always be on, or come on when approached. I have an Amazon Fire that I setup, but Amazon keeps updating the OS and that makes everything I have done quit working…so I am thinking an android tablet… any recommendations of an inexpensive tablet?

Yes. Use the Fire. I have 3 of them. You can get them for under $30 on Amazon via the warehouse deals. Buy another to experiment with.

Just root it and install Cyanogenmod. That way you won’t have to swipe to turn the screen on.

It’s not difficult. It’s a little scary the first time. But that’s why you are experimenting on a $30 tablet. . .

Buying the warehouse deals fires also has the advantage of getting you one with a slightly outdated OS. This makes them easier to root.

Root Junky has a “super tool”. It’s really just a simple script.

Here are some instructions for installing Cyanogenmod.

With pictures:

http://hintdesk.com/how-to-install-cyanogenmod-on-kindle-fire-5-1-1-2015/

1 Like

I have one of the Fires running the Fire OS, but I rooted it and blocked OTA updates using the “super tool.” I also changed the launcher to Nova. I’m probably going to put on Cyanogenmod though.

1 Like

Well, I will look at it again. I tried once already to root and so forth and failed miserably… was able to side load Google play store… no longer works… loaded Fully Kiosk… no longer works… sigh…

You’ll need to check the OS version the Fire is running. I had to use another procedure to roll mine back to where it could be rooted and install Cyanogenmod. As stated above the older the OS the easier to root.

Well…I am giving up on rooting the Fire while I still have some hair left to pull out. Going to wipe it and give to the grand daughter as an e reader…so…just ordered a black Friday special for a Samsung 7 inch elite tablet and try android without all of Amazons cr*p. Any suggestions? Will I need to root? (Hope not)

The main problem with the Fire OS for use as a Smarttilees display is that it won’t let you unlock without a swipe. Rooting doesn’t allow you to change this either. You have to change the OS. The Samsung will allow you to simply get rid of the lock screen. This is a standard Android feature. It’s unavailable on the Fire because AMZ wanted to show lock screen ads. . . .

Rolling back the Fire OS to 5.1.2 makes rooting easy. What version are you running? (Look in the system updates section of the settings.)

Thanks for asking, but I have spent about 10 hours on this with no luck…read…read…read some more…watched videos,…tried, tried, and tried again…I give up…grand daughter will be thrilled with her own tablet…on to try a Samsung…

Didn’t see it mentioned yet, so note the updated code for Motion Detector intent:

org.motion.detector.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST

i know it has been a while since this was posted but i am interested in something like this.

rather than using my tablet camera, i am looking for a method to wake my tablet based on motion from one of my smartthings motion sensors. of course i am struggling just trying to figure out tasker and waking display. not too intuitive if you are not familiar with it.

amazon fire hd 10 - with google play installed.

@sgnihttrams - was it you that ended up getting an approach similar to was @ispy is asking for working?

Edit: here’s the thread i was thinking of where @sgnihttrams put together a solution that uses external motion sensors to wake the tablet:

2 Likes

I have a tablet powered by a Z-Wave outlet. I have ST turn the outlet on when a nearby motion sensor senses motion and then turn it of after a couple of minutes. This wakes up the tablet screen without any further setup required. I used to do it with Tasker, but it got too complicated and fragile. I’m not sure exactly what you want to achieve. In our case, the reason to turn on the tablet is to have it work as a photo frame.

Doesn’t the battery die this way? Couldn’t you cycle the power instead? I haven’t tried that yet.

Tasker + Motion Detector works pretty well. I’ve removed tons and tons of software from my rooted Kindle Fires and I still have to reboot them about once a week. They just stop responding. I’ll keep trimming. . . .

Just wakes it up? Mine is a Kindle Fire and as much as I have tried, I cannot get it rooted so I cannot turn off screen lock (unless there is another way).

What I want is to use my sensor just to wake it up and unlock the screen. On my first test tablet that I trashed taking the back off of I had found someone on one of the posts here that had Tasker and used something else I think wake it up when you got near the camera. I just figured I’d rather have a motion sensor do it so I don’t have to get right up on it. I’d like it active when I am in the kitchen so I can see status without having to walk up on it. I will keep messing with Tasker. I tried the example @joshua_lyon has on his site just to do an alert for a test but it is not working. I am sure I did something wrong.

THIS METHOD definitely works.

As for whether there is another method for disabling lock on Fire without rooting, I have no idea.

1 Like

This was the last path I was going down. Bought SmartTools, installed plugin, subscribed sensor. Tried just doing an alert if sensor triggered and I got nothing. I wonder if I am looking at the wrong variable for it going active. This is where I get lost…