How can I create a scene where Sengled lights slowly fade in and out and change all bulbs color randomly or specified?

I would like to be able to create a scene that slowly fades all 6x Sengled bulbs in and out and preferably randomizes the color of each bulb (all of these bulbs are connected to the same light switch. I don’t need any motion detection or sync with other devices, nothing fancy like that, I just want to be able to create a scene that does the above and be able to enable/disable it manually via my Pixel 4. How is this accomplished with a Smart Things HUB v3 + 6 x Sengled BR30 multicolor bulbs? I do not see any preset scenes in the Smart Things Android app that does anything like this.

There’s no way natively to do this, but it is extremely doable with webcore. I would create a virtual switch, and use that as the trigger for the piston to start. Then you can use whatever you want to toggle the switch on and off, and your changes will then happen. Here’s a good thread that should get you heading in the right direction.

3 Likes

Thanks so much @saosinx88! I was not looking to jump into coding to make this happen, but as I’ve learned that’s my only option for what I want. I have successfully installed everything WebCoRE by following all the instructions. I’m all set up for webcore.I have also read through that post but this would be my first time doing all of this. Not my first time coding, I am a developer so don’t get me wrong. The problem is that thread is a bunch of screenshots of code. I need a starting point aka a starting point of code for what I want to create. I can figure it out from there.

best place to ask questions on building pistons is the webcore community forum. There are a few users over there who enjoy helping others build their pistons

1 Like

Thanks @jkp but you do understand what I’m asking right? I would like a “code template.” Not just screenshots. Seems odd that anyone would post screenshots vs. the code text… What I’m trying to do is for personal use for literally 6 bulbs, one scene. I’m not trying to build something from scratch and learn ground up from all of this. I have everything connected. It seems odd to me that there isn’t a clear example (that isn’t just a screenshot) that I can follow and set this up.

there is a method to use an import code. if someone else creates a piston and provides you with the code (which they do) then you can import their code into your piston and assign your devices to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You just pinpointed my underlying ask @jkp. Are you someone who has created this piston and can provide me with the code? If not how can I go about finding someone who can?

I haven’t…

By joining the webcore forum and asking over there. :sunglasses: They’re very nice to new folk and there are several people who will be glad to help you.

Here’s the FAQ about webcore in this forum if you’d like to follow the link from there. (The topic title is a clickable link.)

I’m confused. I thought I asked this question in the correct forum in detail. I’m not looking to create yet another account nor a duplicate post or battle with where to ask what. This is a simple, likely common functional ask IMO. Please forgive my ignorance, but I don’t understand why now 4 or so replies later no one has pointed me to an actual solution, let alone why this isn’t just built into the Smart Things app…

This forum was created many years ago so that customers could help other customers. So we can’t really answer questions like “why isn’t this feature in the app?“ All we can do is share your frustration when what seem like obvious things are missing and point you towards possible workarounds. That is, we can let you know how other customers have accomplished the same end result.

If you want an official smartthings answer, you need to ask in the official support channels. Either click on the “support“ link at the top of the page, or contact them through Facebook or Twitter. Those will reach Samsung employees.

Meanwhile, all we are saying is that other customers have accomplished the results that you want by using a community created rules engine called “ Webcore.“ it’s a very powerful mechanism that can do all kinds of things that the official app cannot. And there are lots of people who are happy to help newfolks and give them code that they can use for specific projects. But it does require going over to their forum and talking to them there.

I’m sorry there isn’t a simple easy answer using the official features, but what you were asking for just isn’t part of the official features. We can’t tell you why because we just don’t know. We’re just other customers like you.

You could try getting in touch with Sengled support and see if they have any other suggestions. Maybe there’s a way to do it with their own app. I don’t have those devices, so I don’t Know.

Again, I’m sorry for your frustration. The short answer to what you asked is that there’s no way to do that with the official SmartThings features. :disappointed_relieved:

The longer answer is that there are some customers who have figured out a way to do it using a community-created rules engine called Webcore, So that’s an option for some people. But if you’re not interested in that, that’s perfectly understandable.

1 Like

Yeah WebCore is a different animal. Only a percentage of SmartThings users actually use WebCore, so putting your request in this forum MIGHT get you code to import, while going to the source (WebCore forum) will get you much more detailed, in depth responses.
I highly recommend their forum! When I have something very complex I can’t find here and WebCore is the answer, I jump to that forum to get it straight from those that use it daily.
Side note, I have a ton of those Sengled bulbs and love them. I have considered doing what you are attempting, but haven’t taken the time yet. If you find a solution, please share here or a link to the WebCore forum answer.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I’ve actually made some headway here and am kind of enjoying learning this after all. Apologies for my frustration earlier. I have created a new topic per your guys’ recommendations in the WebCoRE forum. Here’s where I’m at and what I am trying to accomplish next: How to trigger a piston only when a Smart Things Scene is enabled

1 Like

From looking at your piston, I can tell you that anytime RGB Bulb 1 turns on, your piston will fire. You will need to use a virtual switch in place of the bulb. You can create an Automation that anytime the virtual switch is turned on, it triggers the scene for the color changing. Then, authorize the virtual switch to be seen in webcore and use that in your “if” statement.

1 Like

Thanks @saosinx88! I’ve successfully created the virtual switch. I can see and act on it in the Smart Things app but I do not see it in the dropdown while editing my piston’s if statement > Virtual Device dropdown. Did I miss an “authorization” step? I just looked around and haven’t found what I’ve missed. Could you help point me in the right direction?
EDIT: I just found it in the dropdown for Physical Devices. So I should be good to select it from there?

Virtual devices will actually show as a physical device in webcore. But you first need to authorize webcore to see it. If you haven’t, first… In the ST app, when you go to SmartApps, select webcore, you then select Settings, Available Devices, and make sure the virtual switch you created is authorized as an actuator.

Did you select the virtual device within your instance of webCoRE in settings > available devices > available devices > select devices by capability > capability group 1-3?

Yup @jkp and @saosinx88 I’ve got it all authorized and set as an actuator. A couple of things I may have done wrong though.

1. Under Which Actuators I selected the virtual device I created AND all of the bulbs. Should I only select the virtual device, not the bulbs?
  2. I added the virtual device into the list of bulbs in my Patio Room. Therefore, I think the VD gets turned on when I turn on the entire Patio Room group. Should I keep it out of the Room/Group? I feel like that’s a yes, but LMK