I’m looking for advice on the best way to automate the scenario below. I’m new to SmartThings and home automation but am a software engineer and am willing to write custom code if needed, but would obviously prefer to not reinvent the wheel!
Desired Automation Scenario
Devices: Door with lock, RFID reader & chips, LCD display, speaker.
- User walks up to a locked door, and scans their RFID chip.
- LCD display shows their picture (previously taken).
- Speaker plays a sound custom to them.
- Door unlocks.
- Be able to manage a list of users, each with their own set of configurations.
- Each user has their own:
– RFID chip
– Sound clip (mp3, wav, etc)
– Movie clip (mp4, youtube link, etc)
– Role (team 1, team 2, etc)
- Is there a user management solution available to SmartThings that allows me to add custom attributes to every user (like role, picture, sound clip, etc)? Or would that require SmartThings to make an external API call to a custom user management system that I’d build out?
– If an external API is the recommended approach for this level of custom user management, then is there any SmartThings API best practices to follow here?
- Most other automation scenarios I’d like to perform revolve around knowing who the person is who triggered the action, and based on attributes in their profile, perform some sort of action.
- Can you recommend any SmartApps or physical devices that would best fit my needs?