I recently purchased a new home and would like to setup a home security system and get it setup for future automation projects. I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve come up with a few different options as described below. I’m fairly tech savvy and have a programming background, so I don’t mind a bit of work to get something idea for my situation. Cost is a primary driver as well as future proofing. I’m hoping you can steer me in the right direction.
As mentioned above, my first priority is to get a reliable home security system. Local monitoring is my first priority, but I may want to get it monitored in the future. I’m also very interested in home automation so would prefer to be able to utilize my equipment for that purpose also. To that end, smartthings caught my attention. I can see a few different options.
Option 1: Purchase a separate home security system such as SimpliSafe or ideally Abode. Longer term I would most likely want to purchase a SmartThings hub to do some future home automation projects. Biggest downside I see here is the higher cost of purchasing essentially 2 systems and it may require redundant sensors in some instances (2 sensors for doors to work with smart things and abode)
Option 2: Use Smartthings as my home security and automation system. If I went this route, I’d be using a combination of different devices to achieve my goals. On the security side, I see the options below for hardware.
- NodeMCU ESP8266 - I currently have hardwired door sensors and motion sensors from a DSC security system. In doing some research, it sounds like I could utilize the NodeMCU ESP8266 board to hook up my existing hardwired door sensors.
- Aeon labs recessed door sensors to replace the existing hardwired ones. This would obviously be a more expensive option.
- Blink or Arlo monitor sensor cameras throughout the house. Ideally Blink due to the lower cost
- Smart Things motion sensors or something similar for areas where video isn’t needed
- Other items such as key fobs, keypads, etc.
Longer term I would like to setup scenarios where the system turns on and off (arms) automatically and can control other lights/etc as part of this. Still dreaming up everything I want to do, but I thought a security system was an immediate need and would be a good way to get started.
Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts around what the best option is. Feel free to bash any of my preconceived ideas above if they are unrealistic or just downright stupid.