Home automation research for people with disabilities

Hi, I’m Luciana, Brazilian and student, I’m doing my final work for my degree and I’m researching home automation for people with disabilities.

Can you help me by participating in the survey if your have any disability or sharing it with someone with a disability?

The goal of the research is: Understand the main needs of people with disability in their daily lives and how they use smart devices to help with everyday tasks.

a) The form has questions that need to be typed;
b) At the moment, unfortunately, the questions do not have a translation into Libras;
c) The time to fill out the form up to 5 minutes.

At the beginning of the form, we ask you to inform us of the best tool to carry out the research, because we want you to feel comfortable answering.
The options are: Voice/video call; Discord; Form or another tool like a social media (Twitter/Instagram/Facebook)

[UPDATE] Consent terms: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KwqMVyh1U-jt82HndtkTGr-XklrJe8WD/view?usp=drive_link

The link to participate is here:
https://forms.gle/uYJTPUbaiG8mWXqC9

Normally for North America and the EU the consent form for studies of this type includes the institution where the student’s work will be reviewed. This is important to know to determine the privacy and ethics regulations which will apply to the research.

Your form does not identify the school which is overseeing the research. :thinking:

6 Likes

I’ll take care of it and come back here to update the topic adding the participant consent form.

Thanks!

[UPDATE]

@JDRoberts I provided the consent terms and it’s on the form too!

2 Likes

That is definitely an improvement. :sunglasses: And that is a very prestigious university—congratulations!

However, I note a contradiction between the description of the survey and the consent form.

The description says that the information that participants provide will be destroyed after internal review and not shared with anyone.

However, the linked consent form says that the person signing gives specific authorization for the information (with names removed) to be shared at conferences.

That contradiction implies to me that the survey has not been reviewed by the research ethics committee of the University, since that is exactly the sort of thing that they look for.

Does this make a difference? It does. For example, one research presentation on a different project did not give the names of the participants, but described one of them as a 68-year-old doctor who had previously played wheelchair tennis in the Paralympics. It would not be difficult to identify him individually, even though his name was not given.

This is an issue which tends to come up frequently in studies of persons with disabilities. The data is not simply blood samples and test results: it usually involves descriptions of our daily lives and routines, often in such a way that it becomes identifying even without a name attached.

You might want to check again with your supervising professor: if your university requires a specific ethics review of your survey process, not completing those steps may mean that the survey results cannot be used in your degree presentation.

Submitted with respect.

1 Like

Generally, the research done for graduation here in my course does not have this orientation of being reviewed by a committee, I even spoke to a colleague who is doing a master’s degree and in her case they asked her to have this authorization.

But I will ask my teacher to review it again

2 Likes