My name is Neal, fairly new to the forum and Smartthings. Been reading through the forums, especially about the stability issues and I have a few questions. I will outline my home project below and I would appreciate any and all feedback. BTW I am from Canada (Greater Toronto Area) so if any location based feedback is available that would also be appreciated.
What I want the system/hub to do
- Let me monitor the house when I am away, give me alerts if something unexpected happens. This is with a variety of motion sensors, door/window sensors and camera’s.
- Control various items such as the thermostat, lights and small appliances when I am away.
- Connect 2 Neato vacs for daily cleaning when I am away. The problem is I don’t want the SHM to send me intruder alerts when they are running around doing their jobs.
- Receive notifications if doors/windows are open if its raining, the thermostat is running or for similar reasons.
- Since I look after a few ecommerce sites I have a wall of monitors running with up to date google analytics, server statistics, current site activity and various other info. Planning on installing a motion sensor to activate the screens in the office when I am in the room and turning them off when I am not.
- Automate as much as possible through out the house. I have a lot of ideas currently but haven’t decided on how to proceed yet, will update once I do.
Doors: I have 5 doors leading out, plus 2 additional that are part of a solarium that’s attached to the house (its quite large). I want to be able to monitor the open/close status on each, especially the doors for the solarium and I am worried that since its technically not temperature controlled any sensor I fit on the door might malfunction in a matter of weeks. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Windows: I have about 40 windows that need to be covered in my entire home. Now this is where things start getting expensive since open/close sensors are upwards of $60 each in canada. I’ve been looking at possibly getting a few generic chinese zwave sensors as a sample to test, and if it looks like its holding up, purchase in bulk. I can do it through my employer (they’re on board for it, I checked) but do you think this is a good idea?
In House: I am looking at 10 motion sensors for the living, dining, family, kitchen, foyer, Basement room 1, Basement Recreation Room, Basement Common area, Basement Back hall (with a door going outside). This should cover the main floor and the basement quite well.
Camera: Between 5 - 10, and I’ve been thinking of using Blink using @RBoy device handler and smart app (btw thank you for the awesome work). This would also let me reduce the total number of motion sensors needed.
Now, is monitoring all of this through SmartThings going to be a headache? My main concern is I want to keep as much of everything in one system and not have multiple hubs/systems to go through. But from the recent forums posts system reliability seems to be a main concern.
Lights: Need to check if I can install smart switches, I only get the keys to the house in May. The house is a bit on the older side but I am hopeful. If not smart light bulbs would be the way to go. Recommendations on cheap and effective ones are appreciated.
Outlets: Both to act as repeaters and control lights/appliances in between.
Garage Door: Any solid suggestions for these. The one in the house is an older model (don’t know exactly which one yet) but suggestions are always welcome.
Door Bell Camera: Currently considering either ring, or a kuna.
Blinds & Shades: Now this is where it gets interesting. I will be installing a fairly new set of products that we are releasing next month, all I can say for now is no bridge is required to make it work. We are currently working on getting it to work with smart things. Look for updates in May. I might also add a few with the ZRTSII as well. (BTW: if anyone needs them I can get them to you for $85 USD or $95 CAD)
Thermostat: Fidure A1730
I might have missed a few obvious things that could also be done. If you guys notice anything feel free to comment away and I will look into it.
I will have videos of everything I do as well as document it everything. The reason being if someone want’s to do all of this it gives them somewhere to start and if you guys notice that something could be done better, you can actually tell me.
Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!