Hi all - sort of overwhelmed and not sure where to begin.
- I have a SmartThings Hub v2 which seems on paper to be better (to me) than V3
- i am moving. i don’t mind buying a new hub, but i may take what i have.
- i plan to take and add wall vents - those (from Keen) are Zigbee
- my current door lock is zwave, i’m going to leave that
- new house is sizable, all paddle switches, a bunch of 3 way, maybe some 4 way, and some dimmers
- I THINK Zigbee is the better choice, 1) to repeat for the vents, and 2) i note Zwave or Zwave Plus only allow 4 hops, and i was reading of folks not properly reaching the edges of their network
- I would also like dimmers that have little dimming lights or status - i saw some for Zwave but didn’t see for Zigbee
though not my first choice, i’m not opposed to a hybrid, some zwave some zigbee in order to have the network hopefully reach everywhere. The other alternative, which i’d prefer to avoid, is go all insteon is highly recommended by my buddy, has a lot going for it — but it is closed source. I really like the open source nature of Zigbee and Zwave.
Lastly, i’ve seen some flakiness with my current smartthings though EVERY device i have with it is battery operated (except my washer dryer) - so i attribute some of that to maybe low battery strength at times.
Thank you for any help. if this has been discussed before (my search didn’t show it) then i’d kindly ask for links.
Lastly, if there are any known great switches, stores, sales, etc. i’d appreciate it - i may drop a couple of thousand now, so i’d like to try to do it "once’ and do it right. I can’t even figure out if non-netural wires is beneficial as the house doesn’t have smart switches (yet) but i believe everything will have a neutral wire available - whether i use it or not is another issue - thank you again!