Hmmm Ceiling Light Fixture Using a Fan Remote.... Ideas?

(hensleyac) #1

OK, before I ever heard of smartthings let alone installed it, I needed a light fixture in the middle of a room where no fixture ever existed. To save the time, cost, and repairs of adding a wall switch too, I simply installed a fan remote control in the ceiling with the light and mounted the handheld remote on the wall. Works perfect and turns the light on and off.

What can I implement to make this a ST controlled light? Can I swap my current remote module (in ceiling by light) and the handheld remote control for a zwave component (in the ceiling) and a remote switch in the wall. Of course without any new wiring.

Ideas welcome and thanks in advance for your expertise!

(Matt) #2

So this is just a light? Not a light fan combo?

If that’s the case you can install pretty much any z-wave switch at the light to control it with SmartThings, you can then put another switch or remote anywhere or use your phone/tablet to control the switch that’s in the ceiling.

If putting a actual switch in the ceiling isn’t an option, there are Aeon Micro switches which isn’t actually a switch but allows on off control, there is also another one by Enerwave. They are very small devices that connect to load/neutral and then to the light.

(hensleyac) #3

Thanks… Started looking at the Aeon Micro V2 per your mention. If I put this in the box where the light hangs (yes, light only) how would I turn the light on/off (other than from phone app)? It is main kitchen light over our table so I need a switch or remote of some sort on the wall that is always available and readily available.

(Ernie) #4

Without running any wires at all you could try the Aeon minimote or the Smartenit 3-button wireless switch which runs on batteries. There are several discussions about both of these devices.

(Matt) #5

For a no wire switch install my recommendation is the same as @ErnieG