Hey Manufacturers, Big and Startups - We Need This Zwave Product

Seriously, I can’t find any descent Z-Wave solution for outdoor rated temp and humidity reads. There is/was
Everspring Z-Wave Wireless Temperature and Humidity Sensor ST814 - 2 but that is either out of stock everywhere or prices are like $100 bucks. It’s not Z-Wave plus, and although better than anyone else - it’s only rated to -10C.

So if anyone out there read this, Yes, we have thousands of Z-Wave products, and there is deep gap in this category. Please develop some. Temp range 20-30 bellow zero, to +45 C. Make it with many batteries as possible, 4x AA if you wish. Function over size and esthetics. Waterproof. Good temperature and humidity accuracy. Price under $50.

P.S. I am aware of the wireless tags and certain Xiomi or whatever but this topic is about Z-Wave only. If I

Question: Services like DarkSky provide readings that are accurate, down almost to block-level.

I’ll take your word for it that you need the zwave gadget… but I’m curious what application you have that would not be adequately serviced by something like DarkSky.

2 Likes

I just want to put a temperature and humidity meter in my backyard. Every service I’ve checked is usually with 1-2 degrees C, 3-5 F, from what temperature at my backyard is. The closest weather station to my house is near a lake, so I am sure that affects their readings.

Further more, by having my own, I can offset it to make sure all temp readings inside and outside are on the same scale, even if they are off from the truth. This is functional for HVAC purposes, when to bring fresh air from outside and etc.

The Aeotec multisensor six is rated for outdoor use and does temperature and humidity. :sunglasses:

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Multisensor-temperature-humidity-vibration/dp/B0151Z8ZQY/

1 Like

I agree. We also need an Outdoors Sensor that does Motion.

You are kidding, right? Not only it measures no lower than -10 C, but you are not supposed to have it exposed bellow 0C degrees. How? Idiotic specs. Anyway, doesn’t count.
Measured temperature range:
-10°C to 50°C
14°F to 122°F.
Temperature Accuracy:
±1°C
±1.8°F.
Measured humidity range: 20%RH to 90%RH.
Humidity Accuracy: ±3%RH (at 25°C/77°F).
Lighting: 0 LUX to 30000 LUX.
Operating humidity: 8% to 80%.
Operating temperature:
0°C to 40°C
32°F to 104°F.

If they can’t make a whole package for outdoors, have it at least with a external probe. May be there is one with external probe, haven’t searched for that yet.

1 Like

You aren’t going to find very many inexpensive battery operated zwave devices which are spec’d below freezing. It’s just physics.

I have 2 wireless sensors (no Z-Wave, not smart) that I’ve been using for years. Both take 2x AAA batteries, one has a tiny screen (Omron) and it reports it’s temp every minute to receiver. I change batteries once every 1-1.5 years. So that is not a good excuse for them. Don’t want to argue here, no need for you to defeat them. You can’t argue that I am not right about the product gap.

The Fibaro RGBW controller has four input channels, each of which can accept an analog sensor. People commonly use that for pond monitoring, for example. But it has to be mains powered.

Aeotec also has an in wall micro which can accept a temperature probe input. The micro is sheltered inside the wall and is mains powered. But I don’t think that one will take a humidity sensor.

Blockquote
You aren’t going to find very many inexpensive battery operated zwave devices which are spec’d below freezing. It’s just physics.

And this is exactly what this topic is about - there isn’t any Z-Wave products like that. It’s a pledge to the manufacturers to build one.

You also won’t see very many Z wave devices designed for outdoor use because that particular protocol has a lot of issues with signal dispersion through rain or snow. It’s because of the messaging protocol it uses, FSK instead of DSSS. Sometimes a product gap is there for a reason.

For example, Qubino does make a Z wave weather station, but the sensors themselves don’t use zwave. They report to the base station which then communicates via Z wave with the main controller. That’s largely because of the dispersion issue. But that one is quite expensive and doesn’t meet your temperature requirements.

I’m not trying to defend anybody, I’m just saying there’s a reason why the particular specs you describe don’t generally match up with Z wave devices. The Z wave radio has a higher battery draw and the Z wave messaging protocol doesn’t do well with rain and snow.

There are inexpensive networked temperature and humidity sensors that meet the specs you list, going down to -40 Fahrenheit, but they aren’t using Z wave.

The ones which are most popular in the community are probably the Cao Kumo Wireless Tags. They can be integrated with SmartThings. But they aren’t using Z wave. Excellent specs, though.

So if something mains-powered with a probe will work, you may be able to use the Fibaro device.

Otherwise I don’t think you’re going to see anything Zwave that fits the specs you gave anytime soon.

2 Likes

Blockquote
But they aren’t using Z wave. Excellent specs, though.

Again, off topic and I’ve mentioned them in the OP. There is many problems with these devices, including the risk of “closing shop” anytime.

There are solution outside Z-Wave. Omron makes a station that bridges to the cloud. This topic is specific to Z-Wave only as mentioned in the title.

Blockquote
You also won’t see very many Z wave devices designed for outdoor use because that particular protocol has a lot of issues with signal dispersion through rain or snow

900mhz has excellent penetration. Again, make it take 4xAA batteries. Or 6 or 8 - it doesn’t matter much.

My understanding of z-wave and outdoor devices is that it’s not only an issue of frequency, and whether it can get through your exterior walls. @JDRoberts can explain it better.

FWIW I haven’t really seen many representatives from z-wave device manufacturers taking requests from consumers in this forum anyway.

Maybe @TheSmartestHouse, theyre a web retailer but they seem to have a relationship with Zooz.

Well. we have to start from somewhere. The more buzz we create - the better.

I agree, I think I’d get one of these if they existed.

But in reality the local weather tiles I can add to SmartThings are good enough for me.

Just this morning, weather services were showing 31F, my current thermometer was showing 34F. In this case, it was about frozen vs not.

You mentioned syncing your indoor and outdoor temp sensors.

Just curious what 31 degrees vs. 34 degrees would trigger for you.

Thanks for tagging us @marktheknife

There is the Qubino weather station but it’s kind of a commitment in terms of price (perhaps a good item to put on your Holiday wish list!) and the specs may not be what @djsvetljo is looking for (14-140F temperature range with +/-2F accuracy). But it’s meant to be used outdoors and it’s meant to be your personal weather station.

As for a sensor to just measure and report temperature and humidity outdoors, there’s nothing like that currently but we’ll pass this idea to Sensative. They’re releasing 2 new products later this year, both with temperature reporting but no humidity yet:

https://www.stripsbysensative.com/strips-comfort/

https://www.stripsbysensative.com/strips-drip/

They’re rated for outdoors and operating temperature range is pretty good: -4ºF - 140ºF

We’ll keep you guys posted if we find anything for outdoor humidity reports.

2 Likes

The Qubino weather station sensors themselves don’t use zwave: they are 433 MHz sensors reporting to a base station which then uses Z wave to report to the hub. Hence their description “zwave-supported weather station.” So in addition to the temperature issue, they don’t meet the “only Z wave” requirement that the OP has specified, although they are useful for others who may have a primarily Z wave system and want to use outdoor weather sensors without needing to add any other integrations.

1 Like