Help with smartthings motion sensor trigger

Motion sensor trigger

Sorry for the blank post I’m typing this on my phone and the page doesn’t display correctly. I’m trying to set up a trigger for my smartthings motion sensor. I want the kitchen Lights to turn on when motion is detected and turn off when there is no motion for 2 minutes. The problem is I want to restrict it from triggering if the lights are already on. The reason for that restriction is I have to have the sensor at the entrance to the kitchen and I don’t want the lights to turn off while I’m cooking because it can’t see me. So if I can set up a restriction that if the lights are already on then it won’t turn them off after 2 minutes. If anyone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it.

The easy answer is to use a CoRE piston, basically creating a rule that states:

If KitchenLight is off {
If MotionSensor is active {
with KitchenLight {
turn on
}
If MotionSensor is inactive for 2 minutes{
with KitchenLight {
turn off
}
}
}
}

Pardon for the lack of translation to CoRE, I am new at CoRE, not to programming.

Or you could learn to write your own app. (What I did before discovering CoRE)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’m very new to CoRE, so can you explain the setup you listed. Is this a basic Piston? Do I put both at the top of the list under conditions. I’m still kinda confused.

Hmmm, it seems I can only do the Stays function on the top level. not on a child level. Let’s ask in the other list…

I may have found an answer: Follow the link for the formatted result.