Help with getting Sun Culmination data into webcore to close blinds automatically?

Hi All!

Just getting started with WebCore and am hoping to write an automation that pulls the sun culmination data from suncalc.org (Or any other service, for that matter) for zip code 23510 and set a virtual switch to turn off 15 minutes after that. Any ideas on how to get started with this? Was hoping to close blinds after the sun has started to directly shine into my window.

This thread at the webCoRE forums might be a good starting point. It’s got logic that scrapes a REST API and stores it in global webCoRE variables for pistons to take action on.

An easier way, IMHO, is just to add a Lux sensor to the house.
I control all my light levels and blinds from the levels of a sensor; I find the local data to be too slow to update or to global to be useful. Almost always the data will not reflect the clouds over my house or the spotty rain.

2 Likes

I’m trying to do something similar as well and posted a similar question in a different thread about a week ago. I’m new to ST, so I am not at the programming phase. The problem with the Lux sensor (which I have) is that in the am (I’m east facing with a bldg. blocking part of my view), lux is low until the sun hits, then it suddenly spikes, and there is a delay because the sensor is not seeing the sun beam, only the overall light level (unless I move it each day). Also in the pm, the lux levels are much higher due to reflection on the same bldg. I can deal with the pm issue by setting a time range, but my concern is that my current lux trigger level and lux sensor location won’t work as we move towards the winter solstice.

While I don’t have the issue of physical interference I do know what you mean and compensate to a lesser extent.
The sun rises on the other side of my house so even though it’s sunny out i will get low Lux readings. As soon as the sun crests my roof I get very high; I can go from 200 to 18000.
Through trial and error I have found a happy spot on the low end of the curve that still works effectively. Everything above 1000 is not useful but if I make decisions on 125 (evening lighting) to 5-800 (day mode). Cloudy days, rain and most events fall in that range.
I also have a shield over the sensor to temper the stray light reflections and make it directional; pointed at a stable part of the yard.
You can also pair two together and average the Lux, one pointing outside for dramatic changes and one inside at an ambient light location giving you a smooth, less agressive response.